“Wonderful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
YOKSHIRE UK
“Wonderful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Claymore on the 1st September, traveled with National. I had read other comments and was keeping an open mind, however I do have to say that when I walked into my room [314] it was nothing more [or less] than I was expecting there were beautiful white towels on the bed, the bed linen was spotless and the floors were clean. The furniture was dated and there was only one door on the wardrobe but hey that was one door less to fight with. When I checked the bathroom out I do have to say I was disappointed. The smell literally took your breath away, it must have been smothered in air freshener, I had to open the windows in the bedroom to get rid of it, it was awful. Mind this was probably to cover the smell of the damp, the bath was disgustingly '70's. BUT their cleaners had done their best to clean it, the wood was extremely old and looked filthy but it wasn't it was just very aged. The managers know the hotel is overdue for a refurbishment but at the end of the day they are just there doing a job, and David [assistant mgnr] what a good job you do. Your staff in every area are polite, helpful, patient and nothing is too much trouble. The food is more than acceptable, the restaurant staff are as attentive as those in top London hotels and I never saw one member of staff just standing about, they were marvelous. Yes the hotel is a little dilapidated, well a little more than a little lol, but the views, surroundings and the staff more than made up for that. Would I return, probably but I would ring first to ensure that the refurbishment had been done, I don't expect home from home but something modern, like a shower, would be nice. Thanks again guys you do an awesome job Lesley & John

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view, the views are to die for
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lesley5929
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for your nice review of your recent stay.
I have taken notice of all the points you mention in your review and I can inform you that we installing more showers and also renovating some rooms.
I am delighted that you found the staff to be efficient, courteous and friendly. We try very hard to make sure all the guests that stay here have an enjoyable, memorable time and by your comments it looks we have achieved this.
Gary Watson.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having read a number of negative reviews regarding this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised on my recent visit. My wife and I plus 2 friends had a one night stay on Sun 1st Sept and in all fairness we really couldn't fault anything ( other than the weather, which the hotel couldn't change ). The room we were allocated was clean and functional, the staff in all areas of the hotel could not be more friendly or helpful. On being seated for our evening meal, our table waiter could not have been more attentive and the food served was excellent, hot and tasty ,after our meal we seated ourselves in the entertainment room and were entertained by a fabulous vocalist, and there was a great party atmosphere. The following morning we had a lovely breakfast before our departure, all in all I would recommend The Claymore to anyone travelling on a budget, and all our party will be returning in the future... Keep up the good work management & staff of The Claymore :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View Room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ashkoppite
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Many thanks for your very complimentary review.
I hope you and your friends come back for longer next time and you also get better weather. When the sun is shining it is so much more beautiful!
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay at claymore hotel and i must say me and my husband had a lovely time food n staff and overall stay was good will return ,hotel needs a bit of tlc apart from that well worth a visit we stayed in room4 and views were breath taking traveled with national holidays well worth the money bed n towels were very clean people some times say you only get wot you pay for but you get a lot for this short break for your money we paid £59 each we can't complain bed n breakfast n evening meal glass of wine with your meal and four drinks aswell really enjoyed some people need to stop moaning about this hotel it's worth the money. Mr and mrs Ahmed

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tracey A
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Claymore Hotel and in particular room 4.
The view from this room is tremendous and when combined with good weather it can be breathtaking.
Come back and see us again soon!!
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Visited the Claymore Hotel with National Holidays for a recent trip to Edinburgh Tattoo. The hotel is in need of refurbishment, particularly the bedrooms which smell of damp and are tired, dusty and with 70s furniture most without shower facilities only baths. The food was fine and the restaurant staff in particular were attentive and friendly which is a positive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower unless you want to squeeze in to a very small bath and one with a large...
2 Thank cazzywazzyYorkshire
Many thanks for your review on trip adviser.
There is some renovation work planned so I hope you can return to the Claymore Hotel in the future.
yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had a good think about what grading to give to this hotel - the phrase "curates egg" springs to mind.
On a positive level, the staff were extraordinary! Every single member of staff was efficient, friendly and knowledgeable about their role. I was called by my name throughout my stay in a hotel that was full to the rafters with coach parties, and on the second morning at breakfast the waitress turned up with the drinks that we had requested the previous day so there was no delay. Fantastic service, I have stayed in many hotels before and never had this level of personal service. Well done all (esp Barbara in the dining room)
secondly, I thought that the food was excellent. Three choices of each course and everything that I had was well cooked, hot and tasty. Well done to the chef(s?) and the toast lady at breakfast for keeping things running smoothly.
The location of the hotel was charming, though very quiet. The grounds were well kept and the view was stunning.
Now we get to the rooms....
Clean and comfortable beds (10 out of 10 for that!) I haven't seen a rubber hose shower attachment for about 45 years!!! Not a practical thing for the predominantly elderly clientel to have to kneel in the bath to wash their hair. Later I noticed a disabled bathroom on the ground floor - (still no shower but a nice touch.) no lift made it difficult for the less able to carry their cases to their rooms, and while I have no doubt that the staff would have helped if asked, it was quite a trek from our wing back to reception... we had a good laugh about the wardrobe in a wardrobe which was mentioned previously, it just made the whole room rather quirky and a little bit Fawlty Towers.
On the whole I liked the place, but there is a real need to drag it into the 21st century. It could be excellent, and the staff deserve a better deal than being associated with mediocracy when they could be part of an outstanding hotel.
Thanks for a very pleasant stay :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bam49
Many thanks for your enjoyable and interesting review of your recent stay.
I will definitely pass on this review to the staff that you mentioned. They'll be delighted!
I noticed that you mentioned the lack of showers in the hotel.
We are currently installing more showers in the hotel and also renovating some rooms.
I hope that you do come back in the future to enjoy the hotel and sample some more scottish hospitality!
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Booked this through National Holidays a week before we travelled.After reading recent reviews we were a bit dubious to say the least.Coach journey was not too bad stopping off at Moffat and Luss enroute to stretch our legs.Arrived about half past three in the afternoon and were giving a welcome briefing by one of the management.Check in was fairly quick.Got our key and made our way to our room (317) which is on the ground floor at the front of the Hotel.First impressions were it was a bit dated,basic but clean.As i always say it's only for sleeping in.Views from the window were stunning with views down the Loch and the surrounding mountains with the famous Cobbler right in front of us (mist/cloud allowing).
My better half used to live and work in Arrochar a few years ago so i was given a tour of the Village which is what i was expecting.Rural and very quiet which is what i like.She did say the traffic had increased from a few years back but where has'nt.
Back to the Hotel and dinner which is served between 6 and 7pm.Could not fault the meal in any way.Food was piping hot with several choices on the menu.Staff were very polite and attentive with fast service.After our meal we went for another walk then back to the bar for a few drinks using our vouchers (you get 4 each).Evening entertainment was on every night (singer/comedian/bingo etc) but we just stayed in the Bar.
On the following day we got up for breakfast (8/9am).Again we could not fault this.We had decided the night before not to go on the organised coach trip but instead jump on the local bus and go into Helensburgh on the Clyde Estuary.This took about 40 mins.I'm sure the driver thought he was Lewis Hamilton at times but it all added to the day out.There are only 3 buses a day so make sure you get to the bus stop at least 10 mins before it is due just incase you miss it.Fare is £5-90 one way for two.No returns are available and it is exact change only.Helensburgh was nice.Had a look round the town then went for a few drinks in the Royal Bar on the road overlooking the Estuary before going for the bus back.
Evening meal again was very good.Went for a few drinks then retired for the night where the resident Hotel cat decided it wanted to spend the night with us.It finally left about 1230 and went to the room across the hall.Breakfast again was spot on.We left for home at 930am stopping off at Gretna Green for an hour.
As a final summary it was a nice relaxing 3 day break.I know the room was a bit dated but a refurbishment is underway with showers getting installed in all the rooms.Previous reviewers have slated this Hotel but you get what you pay for.We had no problem with the room/food/service.If you want 5 star go and stay in a 5 star Hotel and pay the prices they charge.A big thank you to Gary (the manager) and his staff for a warm welcome.We will return for a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: Request scenic view room when booking.
6 Thank AndyUK66
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
What a great review!
Many thanks for this review and I'm so glad that you enjoyed you trip to Scotland, Arrochar and The Claymore Hotel.
Only thing now to do is come back!!
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Went on a three day national holiday trip. Was certainly not expecting five star accommodation with luxury fixtures and fittings but was expecting somewhere half decent and clean. Had read some of the reviews on here (which were not in the slightest complimentary about cleanliness in the hotel) but I thought I'd keep an open mind as some people have a tendency to complain about everything. Have to say that after visiting I have VERY mixed views on the hotel.

Arrochar is beautiful. The hotel is in a prime location right on the loch with stunning views. The façade of the building is nice. The bar, restaurant and lobby areas are warm, clean and inviting. The staff are friendly and efficient. The food is fine. However, as soon as you leave the main communal areas and hit the resident only areas that's where the problems begin.

There was a strong musty smell in the corridors. Given the age of the building and sheer size of it I think you can make allowances for that. However, what I can't accept is the state of our room. We had a lovely double bed with clean white sheets, clean white towels and soap. However, the curtains were dirty, the curtain rail covered in thick dust and the window looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. The window frame, corners of the walls and bottom of the wardrobe had mould growing on them as well as dust all along the skirting boards and on the floor near the wardrobe. The window frame was thick with mould and the shower (which looked new) had mould growing all along the bottom of the door. There was an overpowering smell of air freshener but it did nothing to mask the strong musty smell which was disgusting. There were scuff marks all over the walls, spider webs on the window and a giant spider on the wall near the window.

I spoke to a member of staff on reception (Elaine) and asked if we could be moved to another room. She told me that it would not be possible as the hotel was fully booked. I told her how bad the room smelled of damp and that the room needed to be cleaned as there was dust everywhere. She said she'd send someone in the next morning to clean.

We went to bed that night and although the bed was very comfy and the sheets crisp and clean the overpowering smell of must/damp just spoilt things completely and just as I was expecting, the room was in the same state when we returned in the afternoon on our second day. Considering that so many comments have been put on here about cleanliness - or lack of it - I wouldn't have thought that it would have been too much trouble to send someone in with some bleach, polish and mould spray to at least do something to rectify the appearance of the room. It's such a shame because the hotel has so much potential but the staff obviously could not care less if they expect people to sleep in those rooms and just do nothing about it when so many comments have been made.

I've noticed the manager is quick to reply to criticism on here and can get quite confrontational with people. Instead of having a go at your 'customers' it would be more constructive if you put more effort into inspecting the cleanliness of your rooms before guests are 'welcomed' into them. You actually encourage people to leave feedback by way of a sign at reception. It would be so much nicer for people to start leaving positive comments about the rooms but only you can change things and make that happen. Don't have a go at people - listen to them instead and turn the negatives into positives. I would return immediately if the rooms were at the same standard as the communal areas. If the staff can clean those areas sufficiently then why not the areas behind closed doors?

8 Thank TB78
Thanks for your review on trip adviser.
Your comments will be passed on to the departments concerned but I'm slightly perturbed that you mention that I'm confrontational and quick to reply to criticism. I take both praise and crticism equally when truthful reviews are put up for all to see and I can inform you that all issues reviewed on trip adviser are investigated and if necessary acted upon.
I am glad that there were aspects of your stay that you did enjoy and I hope that you return to Scotland and The Claymore Hotel in the future.
Gary Watson.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!