“We enjoyed the tour very much! (But be sure to wear good footgear!)”
Review of Cumberland Caverns

Cumberland Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: Tennessee's largest show cave and a U.S. National Natural Landmark; Cumberland Caverns displays some of the largest underground rooms and most spectacular formations in America. The daily scenic walking tour is offered year-round, from 9:00 to 5:00. Our Underground Ballroom seats 400 and can be reserved for banquets, weddings, birthday parties and corporate events. Discover adventure on one of our daytime or overnight spelunking adventure trips into untamed portions of the caverns.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We enjoyed the tour very much, and the tour guide was very well-informed and personable. I had quite a workout climbing all the steps, but at 60 years old and sadly out of shape, I did manage to keep up (although I'm certain the people next to me worried about the serious huffing and puffing I did). I felt the tour was very informative and interesting. As a Christian, I appreciated the special light show regarding the Creation, but I can understand people feeling surprised or even offended that it was included in the presentation, if they did not already embrace the idea. Perhaps the management could make it clear to the public ahead of time that a religious element is involved.
We would have liked to attend an underground concert,but I understand that is provided through a separate vender and that tickets sell out in minutes of their availability.
Groups can arrange to take more involved tours and to stay overnight in the caverns. We just did the one and a half mile tour.
Don't leave without at least sampling the fudge! They make fudge right down there in the caverns, where the temperature and humidity are very favorable and consistent. we left with a half-pound of peanut butter and also the chocolate cheesecake fudge. Excellent!

1  Thank Dolly G

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This cave system is a nice tour but for me the winner was attending a BLUEGRASS UNDERGROUND CONCERT. They are held about once a month and broadcast live on the radio station, some are even recorded and broadcast on a PBS show which won 5 emmys this year, The bands play in a cavern that is 355 feet below ground and has some of the best natural acoustics I have heard. This cave has a lot of different kinds of tours as well, like over night camping, and the walking trails outside are a nice break from town.

2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Cave is slightly off beaten path but well worth the effort.
My tour guide was Trisha and she was excellent! I was the only one on the tour (early Sunday AM on 1-12-14), and it was great. Trisha was able to answer every question I had and knew her job well...she also has a great sense of humour..
We did the 1 1/2 hr tour and she really took her time, was closer to 2 hrs.
The cave it's self is a treasure. It's full of flowstone, stalactites, stalagmites, etc and they are mostly in perfect condition...unlike Mammoth which has few, and Ruby Falls, where they have all been broken off years ago.
The large chamber where the bluegrass show is filmed is immense and the chandelier is cool.
There is a light show about 1/2 way through that is crazy religious. I could have done without the whole Creation spiel....but a lightshow with a non secular theme would be great.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

It was a great tour. Not too strenuous but still not a cake walk. It was very informative as there was a lot of information about the history of the cave. The light show about half way through was really good. It was a good time to sit and rest for a while too.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Cave is cool inside, it's great for active families and children who are interested in science and caves. The light show in the rear is very Christian oriented, therefore it might not be everyone's cup of tea. There are also walking trails nearby, beautiful foliage in the spring and fall. Also there is Bluegrass Underground for music lovers on some weekends.