“A musical experience like no other”

Bluegrass Underground
TN
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A musical experience like no other”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The music isn't pure bluegrass, it is an eceletic mix of bluegrass and Americana music. I have attended during the filming of the PBS series, and the amount of music you hear in one day is incredible. We fell in love with a group called The Vespers, who we had never heard of until the day we heard them in the cave.

There is a bit of a walk (not strenuous) to get down into the cave, but the venue is so unique and enjoyable.

Alapaha, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A most unique concert venue"”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I saw a performance at the bluegrass underground at Cumberland caverns, and can't say enough about this venue. I took the tour before the show and the caverns are awesome. The tour guide was very informative. As a concert space, the acoustics are phenomenal. I found myself gazing at the cave surrounding me as much as the performers. I was surprised to see fully functional restrooms and a snack bar with a pretty good BBQ sandwich. I can't wait to see another concert here.

1 Thank jgaskins43
indianapolis
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“BlueGrass underground with Vince Gill....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We travelled all the way from Indianapolis to see the 'bluegrass underground' concert with PBS taping it. The cave tour was awesome, the volcano room where the concert is held holds about 500 people. Very cool venue.....the seating is first come first serve, so get there early. One of the best aspects of the tour is that it is run by a private company......so as opposed to government employees that can never get fired.....the customer service was outstanding the energy of the tour guides was great.....highly highly recommend this place.....definately a bucket list thing at the very least!!!!!!

Brentwood, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wild Experience, Music in a Cave, Unbelieveable Sound”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was blown away by the quality of the sound during the Bluegrass Fest at Cumberland Caverns.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank C C
Goshen, KY
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Bluegrass Underground - "Cool" - pun intended!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Made our second visit to Bluegrass Underground and look forward to more. As a Bluegrass fan I was intrigued by the thought of what the acoustics might be like in a cavern and with great acts like Alecia Nugent and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver we were eager to make the trip. Bluegrass Underground is bluegrass music performed about 300 feet underground in a large opening of the Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville, TN. It was 90+ degrees outside the day of the Doyle Lawson concert, but a cool 56 degrees in the cave. I believe that Bluegrass is best when experienced up close & personal with it's fans and this venue provides just that. The headliner acts are first class and both concerts we saw were fantastic. During both our visits, there was a pre-show act by local talent and an opening act too. Seats are general admission and they start taking groups into the cave about an hour before the show. Once in the spacious Volcano room where the concert is held, there are folding chairs, a few bleacher seats on the side, and picnic tables for folks to sit at. You can also bring your own chairs but there is not a lot of room around to set them up. There are concessions available and bathrooms towards the back of the volcano room and they have an area where you can buy souvenirs and music by the current performers. The crowd for the Alecia Nugent concert was just about right for this venue. The crowd for the Doyle Lawson concert however was huge (we got seats on the back row of folding chairs) and really too oversold for the size of the room in my opinion. Those that had to sit anywhere back beyond the first row or two of picnic tables did not have good sightlines at all and there was a lot of background noise (people talking & snacking, etc) that was annoying and disrespectful of the musicians. In addition, at the Doyle Lawson concert, we got there just as they were leading the first group down into the cave but they had reserved most of the folding chair seats for some business and church groups which meant if you didn't get there first, you most likely wouldn't get a decent seat. General admission should be general admission for all so if they are going to reserve seats, then they should offer that option for all ticket buyers. We had a GREAT time at both concerts but had we not gotten there early and been left with seats way back in the Volcano room, I would have not been very pleased. I would also recommend that they limit the number of tickets so they don't oversell the event beyond the ability to provide decents seats. You can combine the concert with a cave tour (which we haven't yet had time to take yet) and make a whole day of it if you like. McMinnville is out of the way and takes a while to get to but given the quality of the performers they schedule and the unique venue they have to offer we think it is well worth it and will return for more shows next year.

Visited July 2011