“Very bad attitude”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascog
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Very bad attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

My review of this hotel is limited as we were only in it about 5 minutes before we left. Having booked a great 2 night Groupon deal for this hotel I called hotel to find availability. As the deal seemed very good I thought we would be given a wee room at back with no view and thought if this was the case I could maybe upgrade to a sea view. This was my husbands first trip to Bute and I wanted it to be special. I asked the man on the phone what kind of room it would be. He said "I've put you in a room which has a sea view from both the bedroom and the shower room, in fact it is a room people request". Great I thought and shared this information with my husband and a few others. We set sail for the island in beautiful weather, went firstly to Mount Stuart which was fantastic then headed for Chandlers about 5pm. Hotel looked fine however we were directed to a wee room at back of hotel with no sea view!! I then returned to reception to sort this out and basically received dogs abuse! I was told if I had not paid for an upgrade then I would not have a view and no member of their staff would have told me otherwise. He ( presume the owner) was very very unpleasant. He said I could have another room but this was basically the same room at a lower level. He also threw at me that he could find me a room in another hotel. There is no way I would have allowed this rude man to find me other accommodation. I was extremely upset by the whole experience. We tried unsuccessfully to find another hotel nearby and we did not wish to be stranded on the island so took last ferry out. In conclusion I cannot comment on hotel standard but staff attitude was appalling and arrogant.

24 Thank Libby P
allisongibb, Manager at Chandlers Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your review.

Your behaviour was unacceptable on arrival once you were given your allocated room.
You didn't request a superior sea view, if you had we would have happily taken the upgrade money.
You were certainly not offered an superior room at no charge as regardless of how good our offers are we aren't a charity we are actually a business.

You were given the choice of two double classic rooms, both rooms have photos on tripadvisor submitted by other members and very favourable reviews.

You were abusive about the rooms - which I would like to add are part of our family home & as your behaviour fell far short of the mark you were asked to leave with a very generous offer of finding you alternative accommodation.

It appears that some of the general public are now using voucher deals & expecting The Ritz Carlton for £15.00 per night. You are certainly one of them.
We along with other hoteliers are not here to be abused & it's about time that people like yourself woke up and realised that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed July 2014 and the hotel in my opinion is tired and needs a lot of TLC the rooms were clean but the shower was basically a drizzle and had no power at all, the bar prices are expensive having been charged £2.85 for a can of Pepsi which was clearly marked with a RRP of 49p and £4.90 for a half pint bottle of Stella Artois lager ?? on a plus the food was okay, we stayed on a Groupon voucher of which I am glad because I would not pay £140 per night to stay at the Chandlers Hotel.

7 Thank redovlovjam59
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Like a few people who have reviewed this hotel we took advantage of a 2 night stay via a groupon deal. we were absolutely delighted with all aspects of the hotel. the room was clean, tidy and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was first class. After dinner we retired to the lounge where we enjoyed drinks in the company of the staff and fellow guests.
The hotel was well located with great views over the Clyde. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank BCJC88
Troon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We booked a two night deal with Groupon ( which I think everyone who we met during our stay had done ). For the money we paid, I doubt we could do better. The external appearance of the hotel is a bit tired and could do with some TLC but the inside is absolutely lovely, well kept ,very clean and with lots of character. The views are superb and not too far from Rothesay and if you are lucky, as we were, to go when the sun is shining then the deck at the front of the hotel is a great place to relax and unwind for a while.Our room was the smallest in the hotel but was spotless and the decor was lovely. Sure, the bed was on the small side but we were on our anniversary so no complaints there!
There was a recent review which was scathing and they had obviously stayed in the same room as us. All I can say to them is " get a life !" Yeah, no frosted glass in shower room or curtain but there was a lovely view of the bay and I have no idea who could possibly have spied on us as we showered and I could'nt care less.
We ate on our second evening which was our anniversary and it more than lived up to it's reputation. David, the Chef, had spoken to us earlier in the day and he certainly prepared a meal that was very tasty and pleasing on the eye. I had the seafood chowder and then a lamb shank, my wife had the homemade pate followed by the salmon -- both of us agreed it was a cracking meal and as good as we have had on any of our previous 31 anniversary dinners ! We had a cooked breakfast both days which had an extensive choice and was a great start to the day.
Congrats to the owners, who run a very friendly and welcoming hotel and we look forward to returning to Chandlers in the future.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first floor
2 Thank Andrew H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked a cheap groupon deal for 2 nights. For the money i doubt it could be better.

I read the recent scathing review as i lay in the same room. Yeah sure its not a big bed, but it was fine, the room was small, but again it was fine. The breakfast was lovely and the staff attentive.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at the price bracket its in.

On the second night we were without asking ,moved to a much bigger and nicer room the floor below. I think this room was worth far more, and made the cost of the stay fantastic value. We didn't eat in the restaurant on either evening but others who did ,raved about it to us.

So, to surmise, if you are a realist and like me look for a bargain, you couldn't not enjoy this place,the views are fantastic.

Room Tip: If possible not the top floor. :)
1 Thank Lnf R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a sea view room- Ferguson which was wonderful. Even though the outside of the hotel could do with some painting and maintenance the inside is well kept and full of character. The view from the room was spectacular.
The hotel is a nice walking distance from Rothesay and very close to Ascog bay.

The first night we had food in the hotel - it was the best food we had all weekend! It was reasonably priced and delicious. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed on the Saturday night as we would have loved to have eaten there again.

Breakfast was included and they provide plenty of choice. The cooked breakfast is lovely.

My mother in law had organised a surprise bottle of wine for my husband and a box of after eights (my favourite) which the hotel happily organised for her.

The staff are very friendly and we would stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsten B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Had a great two nights staying at Chandlers the staff where all very friendly. It,s in a good location and very scenic views would stay again if i visit Bute again. i wish i had tried the kippers they looked amazing. Good location for walkers to use as a base to explore Bute.
The last bus from Rothesay is 10.10 pm but it,s only a sort walk to the hotel. The room was very clean and cosy and had a great shower in the bath room.
Did not have an evening meal but if breakfast was anything to go by it would be outstanding.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascog
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
#1 of 19 in Rothesay
St. Ebba B & B
St. Ebba B & B
#3 of 19 in Rothesay

Been to Chandlers Hotel? Share your experiences!