Chandlers Hotel
$77
Hotels.com
$92
Abbot's Brae(Dunoon)
All reviewslovely hotelcooked breakfastvoucher dealsea viewboth morningsboth nightsa family run hoteljust returned from a two nightmontgomery suitelovely roommount stewartnight stayfirst floortop floorsmall hotela lovely stayher husband
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have just returned home from our short break on Bute.We decided to stay at Chandlers after our friends told us how much they enjoyed their stay there last year. It is set in a lovely raised position so views over the water are incredible. The owner has a wonderfully dry sense of humour and got on famously with my husband. They even shared a tune on the grand piano on more than one occasion. The rooms are beautifully decorated and nothing seemed to be too much bother. This is a well run family friendly ( without bring noisy) intimate choice of accommodation and we have already booked our next stay during Easter.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bernie2314
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having read some of the reviews of this hotel we thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of itison's deal. When we arrived the person who I presume was the owner read our voucher and said that he supposed he must give us a bottle of champagne which he then put in an ice bucket with a few ice cubes handed it to me and told us our room was first floor second on the left with no offer to help with our luggage. While I did not expect the best room in the hotel I did expect something better than the one we were given. It was very dark not helped by a light bulb missing from the centre light. There was no towel rail in the bathroom, the shower was very poor and the toilet seat was disgusting. The food however was fine and the chef was very friendly as was the owner's son who served us on our second night. We had friends who wanted to join us and they were told that the hotel was full. It wasn't. My advice - don't go. There are far better places.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dorothy M
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited the Chandler hotel via the deal on itison. On arrival the hotel is in a beautiful setting. It is £6 in a taxi from Rothesay. It’s not great if you don’t drive to get out and about. The hotel is smart inside and we were given the Fraser suite in the top floor. We were a little disappointed with the size of the room being very small and the fact we faced a wall outside but what you really looking for, for £99 for 2 nights. We booked in for dinner the first night and the food was incredible. With my wife being pregnant she can be fussy but remarked the three courses were fantastic. It was a little pricing but was prepared to pay it for this quality. My only grip being the atmosphere, but everybody was whispering and we felt you were scared to talk. The breakfasts both mornings were again fantastic with staff really friendly.
On the Saturday night we decided to come back from Rothesay about 8pm with us going to have a few drinks at the bar, im afraid we waited 15mins with nobody serving, we gave up and went to our rooms................the bar is just really the reception so you would think there would be someone about. There is a telephone to call someone but I don’t really want to phone for a beer.
Part of the deal was a bottle of champagne on arrival which we never received and also a complimentary bottle of wine with our meal that didn’t materialise which was disappointing.
We really enjoyed our stay at the chandlers and would recommend it for older couples but we feel it wasn’t our sort of hotel being a younger couple we did really feel out of place. The food was fantastic and the area is beautiful but would definitely wait a few years and a little older before visiting again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

On arriving at Chandlers Hotel I was worried that I may have made a wrong choice, the weather was bad, hotel was a little out of town and in the rain from outside I thought it was in need of some TLC. How wrong could iI have been..... We were welcomed in a very friendly manner and staff noticed my mother was using a stick and changed our room to one on a lower floor to save us an extra climb. (They have a chair lift to first floor if needed)The decor was fantastic, colours coordinated with attention to every little detail. Lots of tasteful furniture and fantastic pictures and prints including some Jack Vettriano. Bedroom was the Buchanan suite decorated in soft greens and pinks with a huge bathroom (even the towels colour coordinated). Beds were comfortable and we had a very good sleep.

Dinner was wonderful, we were on dinner bed and breakfast and table d note menu provided a nice choice. Food was well presented and taste delightful. My only fault was that I ended up eating too much...... Drinks orders were taking in a great lounge and coffee was also served there if you wished. Restaurant and lounges were full of character and atmosphere was wonderful even though it was a quiet Monday night. Waitress was friendly and attentive and the chef came out from kitchen chatting to everyone.

There is a great family feeling at this hotel and staff are all obviously happy at their work and take pride in ensuring customers are happy.

I would certainly recommend this hotel for staying and also for meals.

There is a bus stop at hotel entrance but I would comfortably walk along shore into town if visiting without a car.

Reasons for wanting to return: friendly staff:great food:comfortable rooms:wonderful decor:atmosphere:value for money:great views:relaxing:etc,etc.....

I hope to return soon.......

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Lynn-e-2011
Reviewed September 24, 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Stayed here under a meal deal and did not have high expectations. I was so wrong. The hotel rooms are lovely, with really stylish decoration and great quality furniture. Nice large TV in the room, with a well stocked kettle and tray.
The reception and public rooms are very stylish too; with a big piano in the lounge. The dining room has great views over the river. Dave, the chef, takes a great interest in his food and makes a point of chatting with guests about their meals. The menu is extensive, with a nice selection on the table d'hote and a good (and keenly priced) a la carte. Very impressive stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask the owners about things to see and do in the area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family