“Lovely littel hotel”

and 1 more site!
Chandlers Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascog
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here recently, as part of a groupon deal. We took our bikes over to Bute on the ferry. This is a lovely spot for a bit of easy cycling. The hotel was nice, the staff friendly, and we ate in the restaurant both nights we were there and the food was really nice.
I'd be happy to recommend this place.

1  Thank rcinleith

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just back from a few days at chandlers. Lovely hotel, great food and fabulous staff. Offered a sea view upgrade which we took and enjoyed great sea views. Breakfast was wonderful and so filling we didn't need lunch.
Had dinner in the restaurant which was simply suberb and anyone who finds fault in the potion sizes is obviously a bit of a glutten.
Rooms we very well appointed with nice little extras. Great selection of books and DVDs to choose from. Baby grand piano and plenty of guitars which guests are free to use in the lounge.
All in all a great mini break. Thanks to the owners and the staff who were all so friendly.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great but we had a look at standard rooms and they were nice too.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

just returner from a 2 night stay via groupon excellent value. was offered an upgrade but decided not to bother and was really happy with the room we got, it didn't have a sea view but the bar and lounge and restaurant did so it wasn't a problem.
The owners and staff couldn't have been nicer from arriving to departing. Offered us a lift into town as they saw us at the bus stop. Andrew even told us to phone when we were coming back if we got stuck.
Had both of our evening meals in the restaurant and i have to say the food was delicious, great choice and lovely presentation. got free bottle of house wine with meal and must say wine was so good we bought another bottle and had it after dinner when we sat in lounge and chatted to another nice couple.
Hotel is spotless and you couldn't ask for more.
When we were there the owners had some really rude customers who should have been told to go home but they remained really polite and never lost the rag which I would have done.
I cannot understand why anyone would complain about this hotel It is great so please just go yourself and enjoy.
thanks again chandlers for great time

Room Tip: if you want a seaview then be prepared to pay for it but it really isn't neccesary as all rooms...
1  Thank davie30
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel had lovely views of Rothesay Bay and near to Mount Stuart which is well worth a visit.
The hotel itself is a bit tired and need of a lick of paint. The ensuite bathroon to my room was very clean and probably recently renovated.I think it is an ongoing project so cannot criticise it too much. We did not eat there so cannot comment on food although breakast was fine.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Moira T
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I purchased a two-night stay at Chandlers. We booked this to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and when booking, although we did not get our preferred dates (this was a Groupon purchase), we were told on the phone that we would get a high standard of room on our arrival.

Anyway, we had been looking forward to our trip and seeing the hotel website, we thought we were in for a fantastic couple of days in Bute.

First impressions weren’t great, the entrance was a side door adorned with plastic shrubs (nice touch!) and on entering the building, we were greeted by a damp smell. We checked in at the bar / reception where we received a lackluster welcome. We got our keys and made our way to the room. When I say room, it was like a box room with what appeared to be three-quarters sized bed with approximatley 18 inches to 2 feet around the bed with slightly more space at the door. Our tiny window looked out on the cliff face at the back of the hotel. Although the room was tastefully decorated, it was not what one would expect from the deal we had supposedly purchased from Groupon.

I returned to the reception to ask whether there were any other rooms we could have, the owner (a man named Andrew) met me. He came across as very arrogant and may as well have said ‘ that’s the room you have, if you don’t want it, tough luck’. I would strongly recommend that he take some lessons in customer service. He distinctly gave me the feeling that he was looking down his nose at me as we had purchased a Groupon deal. I advised of the previous communications between my wife and I, and the hotel regarding the quality of room we would receive. He told me repeatedly that ‘its not in the notes’ and then advised with a chuckle that it would be an £80 supplement if we wanted a sea view. I think the chuckle suggested he didn’t think we could afford the supplement (another reason for customer service lessons). If we had been told this during our several previous communications with the hotel, we would have purchased this. However, one would think that the value quoted on the deal (£276), that this would be sufficient to cover a sea-view room at least.

He made no apology or attempt to help the situation. At this, my wife and I left the hotel; absolutely disgusted by the way we had been treated. As such, I cannot comment on the quality of table service or food at Chandlers, but if the service we received was anything to go by, I certainly believe the poorer feedback compared to the more glowing reports.

On returning home, I checked the website and no rates were posted. As such, I phoned Chandlers the following day to enquire as to the price of rooms. I was greeted by Andrew on the phone (I recognised his voice from the day before), and he couldn't have been any nicer. It appears that Andrew has a Jekyll and Hyde personality but I think that this may have had something to do with the fact he thought he may perhaps be making a sale.

Following our phone call, it transpired that the value of the offer as claimed by Chandlers would have given us the best room in the hotel rather than the pokey cupboard we were offered.

This was very much an experience that we do not wish to repeat. Customer service was atrocious and from reading other feedback on here, I believe the owners of Chandlers have mis-understood the point of such deals in that the deals are purchased on the grounds that the customer will receive the service one would expect of the value of the deal stated by the provider. I think the owners at Chandlers are of the opinion that if customers purchase a deal, they should only receive a service representative of the value they paid rather than the value of the deal.

From reading previous comments and from our own experience, the owners do not appear to comprehend the value of decent customer service, regardless of the money spent by individual customers.

One good thing that has come of this is that I will now always check trip advisor before going to any hotel in the future. Our experience of Chandlers was terrible and I only hope that others will read this and the other reviews before deciding to go to this establishment.

It also seems that the owners cannot take constructive criticism or criticism where it is due and what they also should be aware of is that to treat customers who have purchased deals as second class citizens is unacceptable and frankly fairly stupid as it's those very customers who provide them with business and as such ratings for their hotel!!!

No doubt we will return to Bute as it looks to be a beautiful island……….. It goes without saying that we will not be returning to Chandlers.

24  Thank ktriver19
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Groupon deal for 2 nights bed and breakfast. Sutherland room in the attic, small but very cosy with lovely decor. Great view over the River Clyde. We loved our room and would definitely ask for this one again. Staff could not do enough for us from the moment we arrived. Friday night we opted to have dinner in the restaurant - what a fab meal. Previous comments about portion size... well we do not know what size of appetite they had but we found the portions a good size and we were stuffed after 2 courses. Food was delicious and plenty to choose from, particularly for me as a vegetarian. Drinks more expensive than pub prices but you'd expect that from hotels. Hubbie thought the full Scottish breakfast delicious and I stuck to cereal and toast and again staff were very attentive and nothing was a bother for them even brown bread toast. We would definitely go back and stay here - we really enjoyed it and though it was great value for money.

2  Thank Pamela D
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay, which we all enjoyed very much. Travelled with my husband and parents. Ferry service was a bit temperamental as only one is running, but we still managed to make our desired crossing times.
Chandlers is in a great location, just 5 minute drive/cycle from the ferry, right at the shore front. The Fern gardens are just a 10 minute walk from the hotel, plus Mount Stuart is only about a 20 minute walk/5 minute bus journey. We took our road bikes and easily went right round the island as the roads are in great condition.
The decor is very tasteful, with a great veranda out the front. Our rooms were comfortable and the corner bath was a treat to relax in after our cycle. (ps. thanks whoever left a big bar of cadbury's fruit and nut in a drawer...scoffed that over our stay). Hair dryer and tea/coffee/hot choc and biscuits are also in all rooms.
We dined in the restaurant which was lovely, though agreed a little pricey, especially for alcohol. Again the dining room and lounge are very tastefully decorated and were lovely to sit in. Breakfast was delicious; caved in and had a full fry up both mornings!
Decided to venture into town to see what the locals do on our second night. The Black Bull was a really friendly pub, though only serves meals on Sat/Sun evenings. We were recommended to go to Esplanade, but it was quiet, the staff were a little stand off-ish and it seemed quite run down, though no doubt it served cheap pub grub. So off we trotted to another place recommended by our taxi driver, No 29. It was a great little restaurant, brilliant atmosphere and bring your own bottle policy.
The scenery on Bute was remarkable and we enjoyed our stay, especially admiring all the gorgeous shore front houses. Rothesay itself is a little run down so I am glad we did not stay there, but there is still plenty to do on the island. Has inspired us to revisit the rest of the islands, especially looking at the dramatic back drop of Arran.

Room Tip: As we booked via Groupon, we did not have a sea view but our room was still lovely, preferred to adm...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascog
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
#1 of 4 in Tarbert
St. Ebba B & B
St. Ebba B & B
#3 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to Chandlers Hotel? Share your experiences!