“Highly recommend”
Review of Chandlers Hotel

Chandlers Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascog
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Recently returned from a very enjoyable stay at Chandlers, Location is lovely, although it is a good 2.5 miles outside Rothesay (which we found was a good thing), rooms are well presented and very comfortable, we stayed in a twin, which faced the rear of the property, however it suited our needs and we were offered an upgraded room with a sea view, which we declined.
Chandlers is a former girls school tastefully converted into a 9 room hotel, there is no helipad, swimming pool/Jacuzzi/gym or indeed a lift, this was not unexpected and did not spoil our enjoyment of the hotel, some people really need to manage their expectations of where they are planning on visiting, I would also mention, that the hotel has rooms on upper floors and if there is any difficulty with stairs, this should be explained on booking.
Dined in the restaurant on the first evening and found the food to be excellent and the portions generous. The breakfast was also extremely good, with a varied selection on offer. I found the staff, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I would highly recommend Chandlers as a base to anyone visiting Bute and look forward to my return visit.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My friend and I have just returned home after a couple of nights at this hotel.

Great location, excellent food and very nice room.

Will recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Owners very friendly and helpful. We felt we were staying in someone's house which made us feel relaxed and welcome.

Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just returned from a two night groupon deal stay this is a very nice spotlessly clean hotel made to feel very welcome.Upgraded to a room with a sea view this was very nice.Dined in the hotel first night meal was delicious.Breakfast was excellent great value peaceful location.Would defanatley stay here again.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were invited for dinner here by friends. We are from Bute originally but now live elsewhere. I really don't know where to start with my review as I am still gobsmacked by our experience, so I have listed in bullet points to allow me to quickly write as it comes to mind:

- no vodka at the bar, 2 of our party of 4 were slightly disappointed with this. I have experienced this elsewhere before and the owner has driven to the nearest shop (in this case 10mins away) to buy it, no such thing here

- the waiter made it abundantly &b repeatedly clear that he was keen to get finished as early as possible so he could go out himself after his shift

- the waiter referred to us and another 2 guests as "yous two" and yous four", not exactly what you may expect in a "fine dining restaurant"

- we seemed to wait an age to order, and then to be seated and served in the dining room, the dining room was not at full capacity and therefore I am unsure why the long wait

- although I did not complain, my starter lacked salt, but I found the main course was over salted, I wish I hadn't bothered with dessert as it was not particularly good

- on leaving at the end of his shift, one of our party thanked our waiter and wished him a good evening, to which the reply was "what's left of it"

- to top it all the owner returned from an evening on the town "sozzled", did manage to serve us another drink, told us his thoughts (uninvited) on the ways of the world, and then proceeded to fall asleep in full view us and other guests

- on leaving we had to waken the owner to ask him to put on the lights to let us out of the building and into the carpark, and also to ensure that he locked the door again behind us.

Overall, a thorough memorable evening, but not for the right reasons

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank SMUDGESMUMMY
allisongibb, Manager at Chandlers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments, which I have taken on board.

Firstly, let me apologise for your disappointed evening on your recent visit to our restaurant.

The behaviour of your waiter was totally inexcusable and as such he has now been dismissed from Chandlers for his actions. Unfortunately the local dialect on the island is yous – it is something that as an English person drives me crazy.

Whilst I can understand your disappointment at not having any Smirnoff vodka in the bar, it wasn’t possible to go to town as there was no-one in the building that had a car. Other guests had been happy to drink Pinky Vodka which we obviously had. The lack of Smirnoff vodka was a mistake on behalf of our supplier, something which living on an island isn’t easy to rectify immediately.

I have taken on board your comments about the salt content with your meal and can only say that for the majority of our customers our standard salt additions are correct; obviously salt is something that each and every one of us thinks differently about. Had you mentioned anything at the time then we would have taken appropriate action and replaced your meal.

Your comments about the owner returning from a night on the town are perhaps more difficult to take as he was actually off duty and returning from his late fathers memorial celebration. He didn’t expect to see anyone that evening. He is obviously distressed that he caused offence by speaking to you. Again living in such a small hotel has its drawbacks.

The only reason that you even saw him was entirely due to the severe lack of judgment on behalf of the now EX waiter who had seen fit to leave his post for the evening.

We at Chandlers constantly strive to please our guests and as with all mere mortals - sometimes things go wrong!

Once again I apologise for the lack of our usual high standards and have issued a gift voucher to compensate for your night which I hope you will find acceptable.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at Chandlers for just a few days and can honestly say it is a lovely place. Situated just outside of Rothesay it is on a bus route with stops near the entrance. Inside it is very nicely maintained but not too formal. Our room was at the very top of the hotel with a fantastic sea view (it is worth paying extra for this). A pair of binoculars on the windowsill proved to be very useful when watching the boats coming and going, and Andrew kindly allowed us to borrow them one day when we went sailing on the Waverley Paddle Steamer. We ate in the hotel the first night and had an excellent meal. Apparently lots of locals use the hotel for special occasion meals and I can see why - food was beautifully cooked and presented well. Andrew is charming and kind, whilst Alison is lovely - yes, she may come across as a tad feisty on Tripadvisor, but what we saw was a lady who really believes passionately in what she does. She and Andrew work so hard to make this hotel the success it is and it is unbelievable that people are moaning about things - all you have to do is ask and they would do anything to try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We had a great time here in a lovely room with attentive but not intrusive service. Well done to the lass who cleaned our room - she also did a great job. Would thoroughly recommend a visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth the extra money. Noticed a stair lift for the first floor which may be a helpful...
1  Thank Alison B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

just back from chandlers hotel . can;t find anything negative to say !. WONDERFUL STAY good company attentive hosts .room are so special !
could have stayed on . THANK YOU to ANDREW ALISON and lovely family tansy @bobby
KENNEDY room

1  Thank tansy36
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We only stayed one night, but experienced the friendliness of the owners and staff, and some of the regular guests who come back time after time, had quite a late night chewing the fat with them, which was a nice unexpected thing. Not being regular visitors to the island, we found the hotel, and indeed Bute itself rather quirky and interesting. We had a chat with everyone who worked there, and everyone seemed happy to give us an insight into their lives, and how they operated, which was flattering to us. The meal we had in the restaurant was top class, the chef seemed eager to please, as he asked afterwards if we'd enjoyed it. I would say the restaurant was the best part of the hotel, for us it outshone the rest of the hotel slightly. All in all, was a nice stay though, and rather offbeat and unusual.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonken60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascog
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
#1 of 3 in Brodick
Cannon House Hotel
Cannon House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Rothesay

Been to Chandlers Hotel? Share your experiences!