“lunch”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Isle of Bute
“lunch”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel has a great location overlooking the bay, you can sit outside on the patio watching the yachts and the ferry out on the sea.Had a lovely lunch in the resturant.Enjoyable and well presented a,very reasonable priced lunch, friendly waiting staff.The view across the bay is fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Many thanks for your review, it's nice to see that you have enjoyed your visit. With the great weather we've had over the past few weeks the veranda has been a great place to sit and while away the day, just like being on the Continent, well almost!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
glasgow
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked in for a few days to take the mother in law for a break, the hotel is falling to bits I read all the replies from the manager trying to defend it but its in an awful state. the first night going in to dinner I couldnt believe it, the towels and buckets all around the floor catching the drips of water coming in from the ceiling, not a great start, the food is of a very poor standard but the staff are very friendly and the entertainment by gary as elvis was excellent, my wife broke her toe in the room (kicked the chair on the way to the toilet!) And we went to the local hospital and they plastered her up to the knee!!!!!! ( Hope you dont take ill on rothesay) so we had to come home early as my wife couldnt get around on the crutches it was too painful, I wont be back to rothesay as I didn't like it or the hotel its going to take a lot of money to fix it up.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank muzakmanglasgow
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I'm disappointed to read your comments on our site, especially as you and I had a conversation the day you left. You never mentioned any of the problems you wrote about on our site, which I must say is a little bit annoying. The hotel is not falling to bits, this is a gross exageration. During your stay we had a piece of guttering at the back come loose hence the leak. This required the use of a cherry picker to allow the repairs to be done safely. Unfortunately we were unable to hire one for three days as there are only 2 or 3 on the island and we had to wait till one was available, I really don't think one piece of broken guttering can be deemed as the hotel falling to bits. As for the food being of poor quality, I can only say that a good deal of the many postings we receive are more than happy with the meals.
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

we visited rothesay over the 17th to the 20th may and as allways we stayed at THE GLENBURN HOTEL,I must congratulate the management and staff for making it a very enjoyable visit, we booked a superior room with a panoramic view over rothesay bay and were very impressed by the standard of our accommodation, meals were more than adequet and food was of a high standard served by pleasant staff (KATIA) who made sure we were satisTHEfied with our meals, THE evening entertainment was great on all three nights of our stay hsted by LIMITED EDITION AND SUPPLEMENTED BY ELVIS PRESLEY ON STURDAT NIGHT,

Room Tip: TRY a superior room its worth the little extra
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your commenst on our site it is really good to see that you enjoyed your break with us.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Visited this hotel for a two night break on 17th May. The hotel sits on a great location overlooking the bay,busy with ferries and yachts passing to and fro. This is tired old hotel which is in the process of being renovated.The first room we were given was dreadful,stained carpets and wallpaper peeling of the ceiling,also had a few strips of paper with water stains. Spoke to the reception staff who were able to offer alternative room which was great. BUT, why allocate a room of this standard is the first place to anyone???. The entertainment was very good both evenings and all staff were very helpful and pleasant. The food was just okay and the diningroom was very cramped. One lady really let rip to the dining staff about how cramped she felt and her chair was being constantly being bumped into. Next morning, the tables had been moved to allow a more spacious area for diners to eat. Great value break and Rothesay would greatly benefit from more visitors, the town is also looking tired.We visited Mount Stuart House which was amazing, totally recommend it to all.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a great view over the Bay, supplement applies for these rooms.
1 Thank scottishmazz
Many thanks for posting your commenst on our site. I'm glad to see that on the whole you seem to have enjoyed your stay. I apolgise for the problems you encountered in the dining room and will speak to the staff concerned.
Hull
Reviewed May 20, 2013

From the outside this Hotel looks impressive, spectacular views that take your breath away on a charming island. Inside takes you down hill rapidly. Its tiered and run down with doors much in need of a lick of paint. It has a large open empty lounge but its lacking warmth and invitation.
The bathroom in the room was very old and the most basic of basic. A small tube portable Tv in the corner and an old wardrobe. The bed however was very comfy and a good nights sleep.

I could accept the overall condition due to the age and size of the Hotel and the cost I expect to maintain such a wonderful old building. What I cant accept is the attitude of the staff. We walked into breakfast in a massive dinning room with a sea of laid tables. Mostly all empty. There was no one to seat us so we walked in and sat on an empty table for 2. A Polish girl tried to speak to us knowing no English and then ran away. A Waiter came back and rudely told us to move. We were made to sit on a table in the middle of the room next to a guy unknown to us on a table 4 inches apart from ours. I refused and sat on the table next but one. I was forced to move along side of the other guy. It was very un comfortable and clearly un necessary due to the number of empty laid up tables. The other guy clearly felt un comfortable so he made his polite excuses and left his breakfast.

In the Bar the evening before there was one bar tender serving and he looked so miserable and almost angry. It was lacking atmosphere with a few other guest looking fed up sat around the bar so we had the one drink and retired to our room.

The morning we checked out the desk was not manned and we waited ages until a young Lady in the back just waved at us to leave the key on the desk and go. Another missed opportunity to create a last impression. Perhaps she chose to hide to avoid people complaining to her as they left.

I have held Senior positions in the Hotel trade over the years and know that in the competitive world we live in Customer service is everything. I think the future of this Hotel is sadly un certain if the staff don't learn quickly that guests will over look warn out fixtures and fittings if there is a warm welcome. It is a shame that such a beautiful old Building in the most spectacular location is at risk by such horrendous Management.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a front of Hotel room. The views will help you forget the standard of the interior of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andy W
I'm sorry that you were unhappy with the attention given to you by the staff, as you can see from the very many postings we have had, the staff are normally very well thought of by the majority of our guests. Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on our site.
Dalry, Ayrshire
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at the Glenburn on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th May and it was a Soul and Mowtown Cabaret Weekend. It was really fantastic. Both nights the entertainment was excellent and could not fault it in any way. Our dinning waiter Paul was great and very attentive and nothing was a problem. The food again was great and a good choice on both nights. I have been to a few Bay Hotels and I can honestly say this was by far the best one, for food and entertainment. I will definitely be back. These breaks are really good value for money. The hotel is kept very clean and tidy. There are areas which could do with some TLC, but everyone has to appreciate the excellent value for money these breaks are, and in that context you cant expect 5 star luxury accommodation. If people want 5 star and everything perfect then they should pay for that. In my opinion as long as everything is clean and tidy and the staff pleasant and friendly, food good and entertainment great - then that is enough for me - and the Glenburn is all of these things - I look forward to going back later in the year.

1 Thank busytina
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Oh what a delight to read your comments, after the previous posting I was feeling a bit down but yours has cheered me up. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your weekend, from the comments I heard this morning as guests were checking out it seems that everyone else felt the same. It's great when guests appreciate the value these weekend breaks are and it's nice to see so many of you taking advantage of them.
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Had a 2 night weekend break here in May. Very, very disappointed. Hotel is in a good location and if you pay extra (as we did) you can have a sea view. However, hotel itself is badly in need of renovation. It seems to base it's reputation on being a "genuine Victorian" hotel and if you stand far enough back it can certainly look impressive. As you get closer it quickly becomes apparent that it's been a very long time since any proper maintenance has been done. Outside, there were only about 6 parking spaces at the front - which had been coned off and kept for coaches. The main stairs at the front had had the side wall knocked over by a coach and had just been left lying with a couple of cones round the damage. At the side of the hotel, which is now the main entrance, there a a few disabled parking spaces but everyone else seemed to be parking randomly in a yellow chevroned area - which I can only assume means "no parking". Consequently we had to park on the road a great distance from the hotel. Both entrances had the usual congregation of "smokers" and the stairs at the front were littered with cigarette ends randomly discarded. Room given was on the 3rd floor. Stairs throughout the hotel seem to be covered in random pieces of tartan carpet mostly held together at stair edges by silver duck tape. The sea view room (with the door number taped on with bright green insulating tape) was relatively small but very tatty. The sea could certainly be seen although it has been a long time since anyone though about cleaning the windows. None of the doors closed properly. The radiator got lukewarm at best. Bathroom seems to be an attempt of upgrading in the 80's and had no heating at all. There was a supposedly heated towel rail but the electrical wiring was hanging out of the end and, of course, this didn't work. TV has only terestrial channels but none with a watchable picture. As mentioned in other reviews the bedside lamps are not bright enough to read by. The weather was pretty bad for the 2 days I stayed there with constant rain. I was woken the first night with the sound of water dripping into the room. On investigating in the morning it was found that water was coming in through through the ceiling at the smoke detector. This had soaked the bottom of the bed and also the carpet. It was obvious from older stains on the main ceiling lightshade and on the carpet that water has been coming through the roof at this location for some time but has just been ignored. This was reported to the main reception desk before breakfast and I expected a change of room to be offered. Gentleman at the desk wasn't really interested and said he would "report it". However, on returning to the hotel later in the afternoon we were told that a "roofer" had been out and repaired the roof. On entering the room an old electric radiator type heater had been placed within (presumably to attempt to dry the floor) but unbelievably the bed had not been changed and had just been left with the wet covers bearing what was now a large brown stain. Bedding was eventually changed but no offer of alternative room. The dining experience was completely unacceptable. Because there were only two of us we were just stuck at the end of a table with 6 other guests and had to endure their conversation and had no privacy whatsoever. On asking for a suitable table the next day we were told that we had to sit at the same location for breakfast and dinner for the duration of our stay. The serving staff were very friendly and attentive but the choice of food was very limited and I was forced to have salad at each main meal as there was only 1 (unsuitable) "meat" course each evening. This ruined the stay for me especially because there were tables for two available on each visit to the dining room. The main clientiele for this hotel seems to be pensioners on Shearings coach trips and no attempt has been made to accomodate anyone outside this group. It is obviously the only hotel of any size on the island and this is the only reason that they can get away with this very low standard of accomodation. It's a shame as if a bit of money was spent this could be a stunning hotel. Certainly though, if people just continue to accept this standard of accomodation, then it's unlikely that the owners will bother to make any (desperately needed) changes and bother to upgrade.

Room Tip: I would advise anyone staying at this hotel to view the room before accepting it!
3 Thank Billy H
Thank you very much for posting your review on our site and for giving me the opportunity to respond to your comments. We don't base any reputation on being genuine Victorian, our reputation is gained by the very positive reviews many of our guests give us. The front steps you mention had only just been damaged by one of the coaches the reserved area was kept for.
Unfortunately builders on the island don't respond to submitting quotes and completeing repairs within the space of a few hours as it seems they do on the mainland. At present we are still waiting for quotes of which we must obtain three as the coach company the coach was from will be paying for those repairs and they insist on the three quotes. The damage done is more than the side wall being knocked over, the whole flight of steps has been dislodged, which will require heavy lifting gear to move. The stairs at the side of the hotel have always been used as the main entrance. The yellow chevroned area is used for coach parking when we have more than two coaches at the hotel, otherwise it is used for car parking, as was the case last weekend. We would have no parking signs displayed were cars not to park there. The random peices of tartan carpet is some what unfair, the carpet runs throughout most of the hotel, but there are a couple of areas of heavy footfall where this has worn. I apologise for the leak in the room, as you stated the rain was very heavy and constant. The reason you were not offered another room was that there were none available, the hotel was full that weekend. The roof has not been leaking here for some time. In a buildng of this age problems like this can arise at any time and repairs are done when required. Again I apologise for the bedding not having been replaced, it should have been and I have spoken to the duty manager and housekeeper who were on duty that day.The bathroom is not an attempt at an upgrade from the 80's. This has been done since I took over and I can asure you I was not here in the 80's. I will speak to the restaurant supervisor about the seating arrangements, your comments about the food are not the usual ones we receive which are generally very favourable towards the meals served. We are upgrading, but with the extremely keen prices we offer to try to maintain value for money our margins are very tight which makes it difficult to attend to everything needed in a building of tis size. Having just greeted one of our coaches I'm sure many of the passengers on it would object to being classed as pensioners. The weekend you stayed we had one Shearings coach and the National coach, between them they accounted for 44 of the 230 guests staying with the remainder being independant travellers so your comment of not attempting to accomodate anyone outside the coaches is somewhat unfair,especially as this is the case most weekends.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 18 in Rothesay
Howards Way Guest House
Howards Way Guest House
#12 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!