“New Year at the Glenburn”

The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Elland West Yorkshire
“New Year at the Glenburn”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just returned from a 4 day New Year Break with Shearings with friends (also my wife's birthday on New Year's Day) . As with many of the previous reviews we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel, the staff, the entertainment and the food were all excellent and can only praise everyone for their hard work to make our stay so enjoyable at a very busy time. We have not been to Scotland for New Year before and the whole New Year's Eve show was brilliant especially the piper and Gary the compere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bomberos87
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on our site. We really appreciate you doing this. It's great to read that you have enjoyed yourself, there was a really nice atmosphere in the hotel on New Years Eve with everyone up and dancing and joining in. Wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just a few lines to say how much we enjoyed our stay at the Glenburn over the Xmas holiday.
Hotel was warm, clean and staff very friendly. The entertainment was good and we had a good laugh every night thanks to Gary who was a very good compere.
Food was fantastic every day with a wide choice from the menu and everything was cooked to perfection, Lastly... a special mention to "ARCHIE" who was our waiter for the whole time we were there, Great bloke who made us feel very much at home and nothing was too much trouble for him even though he did have some awkward guests to contend with !
Many thanks to all involved.

Brian & Jan from Walsall
brianpace1@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bgp1956
I was really delighted to read your review, it's great to see that you enjoyed your Xmas break with us. At present Archie has "defected" to one of our other hotels through January while we are closed, but I'll be sure to let him know you appreciated the service he gave when he gets back. Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I hope you have a good New Year!
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Back from the Glenburn after a 4 night stay from 17th to 21st.
Great hotel this, and the second time we have stayed.
Rooms a bit dated, but very comfortable and warm.
Given top floor room 339 on the side of the hotel while our traveling companions in room 340.
The lift passenger lift had broken down before we got there, and having been unwell, we did not fancy climbing the stairs to the top floor. The reception staff were very reluctant to let us use the service lift, which was the only other lift that was available, but, with a lot complaining and persuasion, got a member of staff to take us up.
I think that there should have been arrangements made to use the lift, as many of the guests would have asked for a lower floor room if they had knew that the passenger lift was out of action. The lift was fixed on Wednesday afternoon.
Room 340, where our friends were staying was a victim of subsidence, and the door to it was like the house that jack built!, but was comfortable, although John, my friend said that the bed moved during the night, (he was in a single bed if you are getting any funny ideas).
Our waiter Swarvek (probably spelled that wrong) was great and very efficient, but on his night off, the waiter was in over his head.
The plan was to go to eat early, and then get to the ballroom quick, to get a good seat to see the singer on Thursday, but although we were the first to enter the dining room, we waited ages for our main and sweet courses, while the waiter served other tables, who had finished and left long before we did. We ended up with a table at the back of the ballroom.
The food was good and varied, and we all enjoyed it. Our tea got cold very quickly, as the milk supplied was very cold. I asked for some warm milk but was told that it could not be supplied.
The excusions off the island are no more, so the only trip was around the island. We had been on such a trip before and really enjoyed it, as the driver we had last time we stayed lived on the island and was very informative in his comments as we had travelled round. The driver this time (Paul) said that he was a stand-in and knew very little about the island, in fact the only sit that he brought to our attention was a settee in a field!
All in all, we had a good week at the Glenburn.
It is such a pity that the lift broke down, and the waiter on Thursday and the coach driver let us down.
Our previous stay was absolutely fabulous, and this one OK, but would certainly return to the Glenburn again, and would recommend it to others too.

Field

Er this to

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Many thanks for posting your review on our Tripavisor site, I'm really pleased to see that you have enjoyed another break at the Glenburn. I'd like to apologise about the lift, unfortunately it's just one of those things, it broke down late on the Monday which gave us very little time to organise other rooms for those needing the lift, but it was fixed the next day, which was the Tuesday not the Wednesday. The reason we avoid guests using the service lift is the reason we put in the new passenger lift a few years back, it's very old and we are unable to get parts for it, and was prone to breaking down a lot, hence the reason we only use it as a service lift now. Thank you for mentioning the cold milk, I'll need to ask why you were unable to get warm milk, as I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to. Once again many thanks for your review.
Preston
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned from a brilliant 5 day stay at this hotel. Having read previous reviews on here I went with an open mind. However, my scepticism was short lived! We were directed to our room in the Wemyss Wing (401) which I can thoroughly recommend. It was large, warm and had plenty of storage together with a lovely fitted en suite bath and shower. We also had a view over the bay which was nice.
The food was tasty and always hot. Our waiter, a tall dark haired young man, was politeness personified and couldn't do enough to help.
Entertainment was excellent and Gary McKean himself was marvellous - he worked so hard and obviously enjoyed himself.
On top of al that the 4 free drinks each per night were a bonus. I don't know how Shearings do it for the money!
We heard some people moaning but you always get that - I would just like to see what their houses were like and what they ate at home (caviar no doubt -lol!).

Room Tip: Room 401 in the Wemyss Wing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kenneth_Youde
Just like to thank you for the fantastic review you posted on our Tripavisor site, it's really nice of you to take the time to do this. I'm delighted that you have enjoyed your break with us and I'll be sure to pass on your comments to the team.
chapel st leonards
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Title says it all, my wife and i were convinced that British hotels couldn't compete with holidays abroad. So lets get started, we stayed 10/12/12/ for 4nights with Shearings. Spoke to Robbie(manager) as soon as we got there, about things said on this review site about the stuff people say about the hotel. First impression is most important ,the reception staff were polite and efficient, got to the room (103)sea view within 2/3mins of arriving. Had a short wait for luggage but we were 3rd coach to arrive at same time, so we didnt even have to lug cases ourselves porters did this, the room was massive with 2 beds plenty of space in wardrobe and lots of drawer space, ok the room neads updating, but so do most peoples houses, think about it before complaining, would you stay at your freinds/relations house for a couple of days and moan that it needs decorating(get a life ). the lounges were comfortable and the bar staff second to none, always polite with sevice as quick as possible depending on the number waiting for a drink. Entertainment was also very good at night, we were out during the day so cannot comment on afternoon entertainment. Next, the restaurant, we were shown to table 35 a table for 4.The waiter was Polish who spoke very very good English, what a star this guy turned out to be, i will say, that this guy is one, if not the best waiter we have ever come across, and we've been all over the world. The food was more than edible, the name of waiter is kristou and if i owned a restaurant i would be chasing him to work for me. So no problems so far, the recception staff explained the towel rail (you only have to ask), the room was cleaned every day with change of towels when needed, bath /shower,- tea /coffee, comfy beds, with room as warm as our own front room .A very large room with sea view(103), yes the floor did squeak but we never had a noise from the rooms above.The restaurant, plesant, the food very edible, and our waiter Kristou, who couldnt do enough for you,even though he had lots of people to look after. So everything great so far, a comment form was in the room, and i filled it in on Thursday pm. Most of the ticks were put in the excellant boxes, in fact, everything was posative. BUT, and it is a big but, on the thursday afternoon our last day, i know that you reading this Robbie, some one moved into the room next door (104) we've never heard such a racket before, we had to to put the tv on to drown out the singing, loud talking, laughing, but it was in the afternoon and was not to much of a problem as we didn't need to sleep. in fact the room was occupied by one of the entertainers(he was good) i had a word with him about the pm noise when we left the bar at midnight, he was going out we were going to bed, this bloke promised he would be as quite as a mouse when he came back in, we settled for that as we needed to get some sleep, ready for our 12hr journey back home. But this guy spoke with a forked tongue, at 1.45 am we were woken with as much noise as there had been in the afternoon, there were at least 3 people laughing out loud, talking loud, showing nil respect for any other guests, i'd already told him if he did make a noise through the night that i would poke him in the eye, instead i banged on the wall at 2.00am the people left and it went quite, but the damage was done,we were wide awake,not a good end to our holiday. I'm telling you all this, not for sympathy, but to warn every one reading this, that this singer is probably a regular at the Glenburn and he cannot be trusted to be quite through the night. So when you are given your room ask if it is a normal guest, or a bloody idiot in the next room. You may ask yourselves, how i can give 5 stars when this happened. Well everything was great with the hotel up until this singer showed up.When i complained on the Friday morning the receptionist was very sorry for what had happened, but said he was employed through an agency but would report him. But to my mind, the hotel is the employer of everyone working on their premises, so Robbie i'm afaid that i will be writing to Shearings head office to complain about this event, and that's a real shame because you have a team of staff to be proud of. So sorry Robbie, but best regards .H. Wells

Room Tip: rooms at front have sea view but make sure you dont get your own personal entertainer next door
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aicht
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
I was really enjoying reading your review ---- until the last part!. Let me say first of all many thanks for the great comments you have posted about the staff and the hotel in general, I really do appreciate this. As it happened I was on duty last night when the entertainer arrived, so he has been spoken to about his behaviour and I have informed him that it is not acceptable for guests to have been disturbed as you were. He has been coming to the Glenburn for many years and to be honest he has never given me cause for concern before, and I'm confident that will be the one and only time. Once again many thanks for taking the time to post your review and especially for drawing my attention to the problem you encountered.
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was working in Rothesay and stayed the nights of 3rd-6th of December inclusive. Let me start by pointing out the good bits. All of the staff, especially (why, I'm not sure) the east europeans - I know that there were Poles and a Hungarian, offered superb service. They were polite, helpful, attentive. OK, in a hotel the staff should offer good service, but it doesn't always happen, and when it does, and it's exceptional, then praise should be offered. Well done!

The restaurant and the bar/lounge adjacent to it were pleasant. Bathroom: the shower head was loose and wouldn't stay in place, but when there is a long bath, long enough to stretch out in, then who cares about a shower. If the hotel bathrooms are ever refurbished, please keep the long baths.

I was on the third floor, and I must say that walking along the corridors, so much of the hotel in this area was worn, threadbare: chipped paint, cracked and missing plasterwork, torn wallpaper. I have photos. The food reminded me of school dinners - generally insipid and stodgy. One dish stood out, though, the haggis tartlet. It was very good.

I don't think that I'm hard to please, but I'm glad that my empployer paid for this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank nang123
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our Tripadvisor site, though I'm sorry to see that you were unhappy with the meals you were served. As you will see from many of the postings before yours we are generally complemented for the standard of food served. It's really good to see you felt the staff to be freindly and efficient as this is very important to us, and I will be sure to pass your comments on.
Scotland
Reviewed December 6, 2012

went to Rothesay with a small Group of senior citizens I,m not one yet and we had a lovely 3 night stay at the Glenburn Hotel .Rooms were good and beds comfortable only hiccup was the heated towel rail in the bathroom which we never managed to get working as a result the Bathroom was cold . The food at the Glenburn was not only good but plentiful very tasty .The Entertainment was something else really great and The duo John and Marianne are great and Gary Mcmento Mcstunto was just fabulous made us all laugh in fact I laughed so much I thought I was going to burst a gasket .Haven,t laughed that hard for a long time .The unexspected version of under the boardwalk the culprit .Suffice to say most of our party fancy a return trip in the summer top marks to the Glenburn

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
It's really good to see you and your friends have enjoyed your break at the Glenburn so much your hoping to come back, it means we're getting something right. Next time you stay let us know aboutt the towel rail and we'll get it working for you. Many thanks for posting your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 18 in Rothesay
Howards Way Guest House
Howards Way Guest House
#12 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!