“Beautiful location; very nice hotel”

The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Glenburn for 4 days on a National coach holiday. The views are stunning and whilst the hotel, in places, shows a need for refurbishing we were comfortable and very well looked after. The staff were all excellent; efficient, attentive and friendly and the entertainment was surprisingly good. It was a nice change to have all the meals served to us and the food was plentiful, piping hot and very tasty. All in all, to be highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sggoldthorpe
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

It's great to see you have enjoyed your short break with us, and we really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on our site, and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Having just arrived back from this brilliant hotel, we wish we're back. We booked this short break with National Holidays for four days, and our holiday started the minuet we got on the coach. As soon as we had picked up at all the pick-up points, the driver introduced his-self as Clive and told us where we were heading and where we would be stopping. He was very polite and knew quite a lot of knowledge about the areas we were passing. When we got to the ferry terminal we had to get off the boat and go up to the deck where there was a small shop which sold tea,coffee and snacks. By the time we had a cuppa we were at our destination and from the ferry terminal the hotel was only 5minuets away. The Hotel is quite a large one, but it never took us long to get checked in. The rooms had tea and coffee making facilities which we replenished every day and there was always plenty of HOT water. When we went down for our evening meal we were greeted by a young gentlemen and he looked after us for our meals during our stay. He was very polite and couldn't do enough to help. We found out he was Polish and his name was Slowak. The food was of really good quality and there was plenty. There was a good choice as well. The evening entertainment was of high standard. On Friday there was a Elvis Tribute act which was really good and on Saturday there was a Everly Brothers Tribute act which were very good. On Sunday Gary the entertainment host sang. There are different tribute acts on every Saturday and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank marie c

Many thanks for the fantastic review you have posted on our site, you really seem to have enjoyed your break , especially the entertainment. I'll be delighted to pass on you kind words to the staff and especially Slowak.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had an excellent weekend at the Glenburn in Rothesay. The food, staff, entertainment + facilities were all excellent. It was a tribute to the everly brothers weekend and it was very good. The resident band performed both Friday and Saturday and were also very good. The service in the dining room was very efficient and staff were so pleasant .The bedrooms and some of the paintwork in the hallways needed touching up but I wouldn't let that bother you as everything else is of very high standard. We will definitely return and it was excellent value at only £69 per person for 2 nights half board.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margaret S
The-Glenburn, Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to post this fabulous review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, the cabaret weekends are very popular and we recieve some great feedback.
our in-house duo are called Limited Edition, Marianne & John and our resident compare is called Gary, i will pass on your comments to the entertainers and to the restaurant team. we look forward to seeing you again soon, many thanks.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We're just home from a weekend at Rothesay's Glenburn Hotel (2-4 November). Can not fault it. Staff friendly, food excellent and plentiful, room very clean, and there was entertainment of music, bingo, and films if that was what was wanted. Lots of space for a big crowd, a 'quiet' lounge, the views from the hotel are magnificent: and the autumn weather for 2 of the 3 days was beautiful. It was amazingly cheap at £69. Quite unbelievable for this weekend's holiday.

Room Tip: I'm not sure that it is all-important at this time of year, since bedrooms are only for sleeping...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Many thanks for writing your response we really do appriecate it. We have great staff and it is lovely when this is recongnised by our guests. We like to think that we do provide good value for money with our breaks and our entertainment program is proving very popular. Once again thank you for a lovely review.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here last weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun night 26/27/28 Oct 2012). We booked via Laterooms.com and it cost us £128.00 for Dinner, Bed & Breafast AND evening entertainment. Although the room we were allocated was OK, we decided to pay an extra £117.00 to upgrade to a Superior room with sea view. Even with the extra, we thought the whole weekend was reasonably good value for money.
Meals: Breakfast was good: lovely poached eggs and cumberland sausages. Dinner was variable (but not bad) although the choice was a little limited. Justin, our waiter for the three days, was reasonably attentive.
Bar: The lounge area was comfortable and the bar staff polite and friendly.
The entertainment was the star of the show (and not expected): Limited Edition was pretty good, the Detroit Twins were excellent and full of energy - really brought Motown back with their energetic moves. Gary was great, particularly on Sunday when he had trhe room to himself.
Reception: On arrival Leanne(?) was helpful and friendly. The rest of the time the Reception staff seemed to like to hide in the back.
Our Superior room: 210, was not really that superior. It was reasonably comfortable and definitely spacious. However, the cheap plastic table lamps, and iffy TV reception were under par.
Parking: I was scared to move the car once I'd parked it. One night I had to leave the car on the sea front below the hotel!
Walking up on the hill behind the hotel was great.
Would we stay here again? At these prices - definitely. At full price, whatever that is, I'm not so sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the entertainment and I will be sure to pass on your comments to Gary and Leanne. If you are coming to the Glenburn again you can per-book carparking at £5 a day that way you don't have to worry about finding a space. Once again thank you for your posting.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Just back from an Entertainment Weekend at the Glenburn and we were entertained very well on all three nights but more of that later.
It is our fourth visit to the hotel and, on request, we were given the same room (411) so no problems with accommodation. All the staff encountered were as usual pleasant and efficient. Of the meals taken four out of the six were very good but the other two were poor. One breakfast must have been dished up about 30 minutes before serving and the Topside of Beef was very tough. There was a temporary hiccup with the steamers in the kitchen on one night but as it was promptly and politely explained it was not a problem. The soups were delicious and contained more substance than the watery versions you get in some hotels.
Having been to Rothesay three times before, the time between breakfast (8.00am) and dinner 7.00pm) seemed to drag a bit this time. The previous daytime entertainment sush as Race Videos & Dance Music were replaced by Indiana Jones fims.
The evening entertainment was superb. After Bingo on Friday the resident duo Limited Edition put in a good stint followed by a very good Elvis impersonator with the duo rounding off the night with requests and dancing.
Saturday again was opened and closed by the very good Limited Edition, in between we were given an hour of the Detroit Twins, a dynamic duo belting out many Motown and Soul classics in a non stop perpetual motion performance.
Sunday was compere Gary’s night and what a night it was, starting with a very funny Bingo session he performed a one man show that had everything .He is a very funny man with a versatile voice, plays an adequate guitar and has a natural rapport with his audience. He was the Elvis from Friday night.

Room Tip: The rooms in the annexe are more modern (400+)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NeilBlack
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review, it really is nice to receive such balanced reviews such as yours, and the staff really appreciate your comments about them. I have noted the comments about the food and will have a chat with the chef about this. I will also look into the afternoon entertainment, we do still have the race games and bingo and back this up with the films, mostly it depends on the numbers of guests who are in for the afternoon, but it's good to see that you enjoyed the rest of the entertainment. I'm glad to see the steamers breaking down didn't seem to affect you, believe me with dinner service for about 200 just about to start there was more than just the steamers heading for a break down, I have to say I was really pleased with the quick thinking of the chef and his team and in the way they still managed to get the dining room doors open on time, and with the minimum of disruption to the guest.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

My mum booked our family into the Glenburn Hotel for a weekend away (26-28 October) to celebrate my dads 60th birthday. In total 7 rooms were booked out, including 2 who had paid extra for a sea view room, only one of these was allocated to our party, when this was questioned at reception, the staff were rude, told us that we already had the keys to BOTH sea view rooms booked and when we asked to speak with the manager, Robert Cameron, he responded in an aggressive and threatening manner, not what I would expect someone in a management position to behave like!

Aside from this, as there were quite a few travelling over in our party, we were all leaving at different times on fri 26th oct. MY brother and his wife were due to travel over on the saturday morning as he could not get time off work for the fri. When I went to visit my brother before I was due to leave on the friday to find him lying at the bottom of the stairs in his house after having a bad fall. This lead to him being hospitalised over the whole weekend and unable to travel over and also meant that myself and my girlfriend spent friday night in Accident & Emergency with him, so we were not able to travel over until the saturday. When this was brought up with the staff at reception and the hotel manager about the possibility of a refund (at least for the room that lay empty due to my brother and his wife not using it) they were extremely unsympathetic and seemed like they couldn't care less. No help was offered other than "you'll need to take this issue up with shearings". Never in my life have I witnessed such poor customer service, something which I may take up with the Bay Hotels chain.

Now.. on to the room. My girlfriend and I were in room 233. First impression was this room could really be done with being updated!

The decor was looking really tired, paint was badly chipped around both bedside tables, the floor creaked with almost every footstep, the window was extremely dirty.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and could be done with a new matress, the pillows were flat and also uncomfortable. When we tried to look for extra pillows (in a normal hotel, would be located in the wardrobe) there was none to be found.

The heater in the room was nowhere near big enough to heat the room. I noticed in other rooms they had gas heaters, but in 233 it was a pitiful electric heater.

In the bathroom, there were cracked tiles around the mirror, the shower was dreadful, little more than a trickle. Due to the fact that the shower was fed from the main bath taps made it difficult to find and maintain a reasonable temperature.

Other members from our party had the same issue, from what I gather, the shower in room 242 was in much need of repair/replacement.

I would also like to point out that my parents were in room 202 and my mum found it so cols that she had to go out and buy a hot water bottle for a little heat at night!

Now onto the food/ restauraunt

The food was terrible, quite clearly out of a packet and heated up.

When we were sat down for our 3 course meal on saturday night, not once did any of the restaurant staff come to take a drinks order, so we were left to drink the jugs of tap water on our table.

For breakfast on the sunday, I ordered Scrambled Eggs on toast, when it arrived it was swimming in a pool of water on the plate making the toast soggy.

The restaurant staff were polite, but didn't seem to be the most friendly of people... I guess this must run throughout most of the staff in this hotel.

On the whole, my 1 night in the Glenburn Hotel was one which I would rather forget. Avoid at all costs folks!

Room Tip: avoid rooms 202, 233 and 242, I have pointed out issues with the 3 of them in my review
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank peterson1983

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the Glenburn, I'm sorry if you did not enjoy your break, but welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments. At no time was I aggresive or threatening. I gather that you were not present at this time, and, if correct, I find it a little disappointing this accusation has been made, especially by someone who was not present at the time. When I tried to explain the postition of the hotel I was sworn at, and personally insulted.
Whilst I accept your party were unhappy with the service we provided, I will not accept rude and abusive language towards myself or my staff. In order to diffuse the situation I walked away and was accused of being rude. Regarding the room being empty, none of your party mentioned to me anything about anyone having had an accident and that they would not be arriving that day. We do have a cancellation policy and had your party not been so obstructive I would have been able to explain this to them which would have enabled a claim being made against your holiday insurance for the cancellation. As you may have seen from the many postings both before and after yours, the comments you have made in relation to the staff and food are not generally in keeping with other reviews.
Thank you for drawing our attention to the maintenance issues with the rooms, I'll be sure to pass them on to our maintenance man for repair.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#1 of 11 in Dunoon
St. Ebba B & B
St. Ebba B & B
#3 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!