“Terrible service food not much better” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Esplanade Hotel

The Esplanade Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothesay
The Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Rothesay B&B and Inns
“Terrible service food not much better”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I live on bute and have been trying to find a place to eat breakfast before 10am. Island life is somewhat slow to get up and get going here, I took my family who were up visiting for a week to the Esplanade.

We were seated near the window overlooking the ferry terminal, a nice view being ruined by some horrible loud music coming over the restaurant PA system. When I asked if we could have the music turned down I was giving a terrible dirty look. I was quite shocked, it set the scene for some terrible service, a very insincere waiteress and to top it off a sorry excuse for a cooked breakfast. Avoid this place at all costs.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Nick M
esp4, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Very disappointed to read your review but none the less always interested in getting feedback. If you live on the island you will be aware that the Esplanade is a very popular, busy bar/restaurant. Our customer is very important and our staff (most of whom have been with us for some time) are generally known for good attentive and courteous service. Loud music in the morning is something that I am not aware of but if a customer makes a reasonable request as you have described, then I would fully expect it to be dealt with. We open early in the morning and serve breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea etc. We have a regular custom and professional chefs. I often eat breakfast and it keeps me in touch with what we produce. I certainly wouldn't accept anything short of a good quality breakfast and I would expect every customer to have the same. I regularly check at the tables and ask if everything is OK. I also know most local diners and will happily accept critisism and deal with it. We actively encourage customers to let us know when something is wrong and on the rare occasion when for whatever reason a meal is not consumed it will be removed from the bill. For this reason alone I consider your suggestion 'avoid this place at all costs' as inappropriate and as you do say you live on the island, why don't you come in and discuss it with us. Our business is very dependant on the local community who thankfully have always given us great support as we strive to offer great food at very reasonable prices.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
bute
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have not stayed in the hotel so can't comment on the accommodation, however I have eaten here a number of times and found the food to be good and the staff friendly. There is a good choice of dishes and prices are very reasonable particularly good value are the daily 'specials'. it is well frequented by locals, always a good sign, and there is a nice ambiance. A number of tables have windows overlooking the harbour and the town square. It is also a popular pop-in place for a coffee. On the down side the decor is a bit shabby and could do with a bit of brightening up. It's central location and proximity to the harbour make it an ideal place for an enjoyable meal prior to or returning from a trip to the mainland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for a long time, enjoying one of the double rooms with beautiful view over the harbour. It is a simple hotel, but with very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and service which has always been excellent. The breakfast is always something to look forward to.
Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vladimira B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

stayed here overnight, on a family visit,
the staff were very friendly,
nothing seemed too much,
room was spotless, plenty of teas and coffees, and hot chocalate in rooms, free wifi,
breakfast was fantastic, fruit juice, cereal, and the cooked breakfast was to die for, yum yum,
we had a room with a view of the castle,
the other room had a view of the front, beautiful views

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not nice! I could go into detail,but previous reviews do that fine.Tired and dated would be the nice way of putting it.I really don't think there is a place for rooms with shared facilities in this day and age.Walking into the bathroom for a shower,I was met by a man on the way out,newspaper tucked under his arm,and a guilty look on his face.Fair to say he had enjoyed a lenghthy seat.Horrible place,more 40's than the the fairly kind 1970's description I read.Room 8,for anyone still reading,was akin to a prison cell.Staff were enthusiastic if rather lacking in english.I could go on but I won't,not used to posting negative reviews.Advice to the owners would be,sell up,do it up,or close it.In a state of terminal decline.Did i manage to think of anything nice to say? Fair play to those who say its fine,value,friendly etc.T'is a hovel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ratherbeingreece
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for your review. Only a few years ago when we took over the Esplanade it was a tip. In a quirky way it had it's own character and history. We invested in repairing and cleaning the place up which is still on going. We relentlessly ensure that cleanliness is paramount and that we offer a warm room with a comfortable bed and a good Scottish breakfast.We only have 3 en-suite rooms and the other rooms share toilet & shower facilities.We do not claim it to be anything other than what it is although perhaps we should call it a bar/restaurant with rooms.Surprisingly and despite the reviews the rooms are regularly full.The bar/restaurant is always very busy and if you ask on the street where to eat,more than often the answer will be The Esplanade.We will continue to restore The Esplanade whilst retaining the old fashioned style. It may not be for everybody but the old place sure knows how to attract a crowd.Next time you are in Rothesay let us show you some of the rooms and we will be delighted to offer you lunch on the house.

Travelers are raving about these Rothesay hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were in the hotel bar a few times over the weekend. The day we were leaving, we popped in for a drink before catching the ferry. I returned our drinks to the bar as the pint of shandy we asked for was more like a pint of lemonade only. The staff were really rude and told me thats just how they pour them and that they couldn't do anything about it! It wasn't how we had them the day before. The staff wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. Very rude! I didn't realise there was a set way to pour a shandy. I thought it would be at the customers preference since they are paying for a full pint!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Pauline B
glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

went here with my friends for sept weekend at first glance all looks well but when you enter the rooms you get a shock, some rooms dont even have wardropes, just small metal things to hang up youre clothes, shared bath rooms,dated rooms the only good thing they were clean.the only thing that was good was the food, the waitress was very rude too us as she took our order, no smile,we were all laughing and joking as you do on holiday, her face was like cant be bothered. On the sunday night my husband went to the bar at 1045 to get a drink and the same happy waitress told him bar closed so we had too go out the hotel and go to the pub across the square. on the sat night we went down at 7 for dinner and were told it could be a hour or 2 before we get our dinner, they were taking bookings from theyre other digs,we didnt get our dinner too 8pm, poor service,was eating my sweet at 8-55pm.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank angela l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#4 of 19 in Rothesay
The Bayview Hotel
The Bayview Hotel
#7 of 19 in Rothesay

Been to The Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!