“Great quality fish and chips”
Review of The Squat Lobster - CLOSED

The Squat Lobster
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Message on The Squat Lobster Facebook page from a customer this evening ... "Defo waiting for some decent Fish n' Chips - don't keep us in suspense" My reply ....."I keep seeing you walking by, and I am dying to tell you..hopefully I can update you in about a week...I am so missing fish and Chips and local seafood too !"
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great quality fish and chips”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Squat Lobster provided a great lunch of battered haddock and chips on a family day out to beautiful Rothesay. The fish was fresh, the batter was golden and perfectly crispy, the chips were rustic, with some skin still on - just the way I like it. The presentation was lovely - lemon and tartare sauce included, the portion was huge, and cost only £5 per person! The young guy who made and served us our fish and chips was friendly and efficient. Overall it was the perfect meal to compliment a glorious sunny day on the Isle of Bute.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank lizdunn

Troon, United Kingdom
“Not a real chippy :(”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Made the mistake of believing some of the reviews and it's own advert.

Chips are of the frozen variety and the fish although in itself tasty enough, was covered in a batter unlike any I have ever had from a proper fish n chip shop. The staff though, are very nice and had plenty of banter.

If you want a real Scottish fish supper give this imposter a miss and head for Zavaroni's ! ( I am not in any way,shape or form, connected with them )

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Andrew H
“Nice Fish”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Sadly missed the Squat Lobster, so had fish and chips and a portion of mussels. Left most of the mussels as they hadn't been cleaned -still had beards. The fish was very good, but the chips were a little overdone to my liking. Worth a visit if you like a fish supper.

2 Thank featherFLAME
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Flavoursome Fried Fish”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Found right next to the pier at Rothesay, this unassuming blue hut houses the most delightful little chippy.

We ordered two single fish at £5 each. What we got was one of the best pieces of fried fish we have ever eaten. A great sized portion of Haddock in a cardboard box, fresh lemon and tartare sauce, an a plastic fork if you needed it.

I am not exaggerating when I say that it was full of flavour. The fish was obviously fresh. The batter was light and crisp. I could have eaten another one, probably would have if the Waverley hadn't been arriving to take us home.

When I return I will be looking to try their langoustines or the squat lobster.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank gdnumber1
Watford, United Kingdom
“Lovely food made by lovely people!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This unassuming place by the harbour serves up tasty, crisp and fresh fish and chips as well as daily specials. Its a small family run operation and the whole thing is just charming. I went down to the sea front by the harbour to enjoy my food and it was one of those perfect moments. I hope I get to go back there one day!

1 Thank stringz23