“Best Fish & Chips on Bute”
Review of The Squat Lobster - CLOSED

The Squat Lobster
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Message on The Squat Lobster Facebook page from a customer this evening ... "Defo waiting for some decent Fish n' Chips - don't keep us in suspense" My reply ....."I keep seeing you walking by, and I am dying to tell you..hopefully I can update you in about a week...I am so missing fish and Chips and local seafood too !"
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Fish & Chips on Bute”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have a home on the island and we struggled to find a really good Fish & Chip shop until we found the Squat Lobster. Very firendly and everything cooked fresh and most produce sourced locally. Added to good quality food, it was very reasonably priced and also the building itself has some interesting history.

A must for a trip to Rothesay.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ge0rdie_Mark

Rothesay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Fish and Chips I've ever had”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This has got to be the best place for Fish and Chips I've ever experienced in the UK. The Haddock fish meal has thin, crispy batter, no bones at all, and the fish is really moist. All meals are cooked to order (a bit like in New Zealand - another place for outstanding takeaway food). The chips are the same. I wish that all chippies were like this one!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John L
Harwich, United Kingdom
“Best (and Biggest) Fish and Chips”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Right on the front by the Ferry Terminal you cant miss it. We had a restaraunt booked originally but the weather was so nice we decided to have something to eat here and sit on the front.

So glad we did... The banter and friendly conversation from the owner and son while we waited was excellent, especially as they were so busy. The fish was massive and the chips were the best.

All fresh, reasonably priced. Just the sort of local, quirky place we look for when we are away on holiday.

Visit Bute, you must have something to eat here!

Visited July 2013
Edinburgh
“Yum yum”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Quirky little place (and it is very little!) overlooking the sea in Rothesay, staff were very nice and friendly. Had the fish and chips which was made to order in front of me, took no time at all. Fish was tasty and the batter lovely and crisp, chips quite nice. A great wee place to visit if your coming to Bute. A bit on the pricey side at £6.95 but lovely nonetheless.

• Visited July 2013
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
THANK YOU for taking the time to write a review...it is very much appreciated, and we're glad you enjoyed your meal; hope to see you again some time.

P.S. the cost of Fish & Chips is actually £6.25 (not £6.95); I realise that the pricing on the blackboard is a little mis-leading but you were only charged £6.25 ...it is a "curly" 2 and not a "9"....thanks for pointing this out - I will change it to make it clearer, because our prices have only increased once in the 5 years we have been operating ...by 30p! Thanks again. Karon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“absolutely mouth watering”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I came to Rothesay for the weekend and visited the squat lobster on the Friday because was speaking to some local people and asked them where is the best fish and chip shop was and they sent me here i couldn't beleave how nice the staff where and how they cook it fresh right in front of us not like most places i have been to the fish was so fresh it looked amazing and the chips with the skins on looked lovely as well so when it got served i had to take a picture of it looked that lovely so as i went and eat it out side it just melted in my mouth had to go back for more for the rest of the stay every time i went back it was the same absolutely amazing. lovely thin crispy batter and lovely chips. top marks for the young boy and his boss.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank vitoria s
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for your review...your appreciation is very clear...and many thanks for taking the photo!
Hope to see you again. Karon