“Nicest fish I've ever had”
Review of The Squat Lobster - CLOSED

The Squat Lobster
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Message on The Squat Lobster Facebook page from a customer this evening ... "Defo waiting for some decent Fish n' Chips - don't keep us in suspense" My reply ....."I keep seeing you walking by, and I am dying to tell you..hopefully I can update you in about a week...I am so missing fish and Chips and local seafood too !"
Ulverston, United Kingdom
“Nicest fish I've ever had”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I never thought I'd write a review for a fish and chip shop, let alone one that is basically a hut by the ide of the ferry terminal but the food was so delicious I can't not write this!
Waiting to catch the ferry back to the mainland at the end of a very long cycle ride from Tarbert we were absolutely ravenous and happened to spot this place by the side of the road. The signs outside were very boastful of all the accolades and praise it has won before so we decided to give it a go and we were so glad we did!
The service was great (although my husband fancied some chowder but was told they no longer served it, despite it still being on the menu) and the portions were very good value. But the fish was absolutely to die for and was without doubt the best fish and chip shop fish I've ever had. It was a nice thick fillet, cooked perfectly and coated in delicious batter. It's a good job we don't live close by otherwise I'd be wanting their fish all the time, but if we're ever back in Rothesay again we'll definitely be back for more!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank nicolared
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review....it has really made my day; my husband, Andy, who was the inspiration behind The Squat Lobster, died in September and I only re-opened 4 weeks ago - but I vowed that I would continue to run the business with the same integrity that was his vision, and I am delighted to receive your comments because it appears that I am succeeding in continuing with his aims - always to be the best you can be and provide the best of the best (sorry there wasn't any chowder when you visited - I am working towards a wider menu over the next few weeks) Thank you once again ...that was a long cycle that you did!!!

Rothesay, United Kingdom
“Tasty end to a perfect day”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a walk over the moor road from Kingarth we were ready for a fish supper, the Haddock and chips from this kiosk were absolutely delightful and freshly cooked in front of us. We spent the short wait reading the rest of the menu and considering what we might have on our next visit! We sheltered from the cold wind and enjoyed our meal whilst viewing the bay, all washed down with an equally excellent mug of tea, well worth building up an appetite for.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Wendy S
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
THANK YOU for taking the time to write your review; it is really appreciated. I have done the walk that you did and would have appreciated a "fish supper" at the end of it too! look forward to seeing you again soon. Hopefully the Easterly winds will die down and we will get much warmer weather. Thank you again, Karon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL FISH FABULOUS FRIENDLY SERVICE”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Fish of outstanding quality professionally hand filleted, better than all the mass produced rubbish.
Have been visiting this place after reading the review in the Sunday Times. A friendly service cheerfull chatty owner. all in all a pleasant experience, loads of chips. We sat on the harbour front, ate with a lovely view and huge portion. Cant wait for spring so we can come back, when they will open again.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Travel_Teddybears
West of Scotland
“A little fishy”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

To call this place, 'quirky' would be an understatement. First of all, it is very hard to tell when they are open as they seem to open and close on a whim. Secondly, the fish is not as fresh as implied as most of it comes from wholesale, processed foodstuff suppliers and not off the boat as is so often suggested. Think about it, when did you ever see a diamond shaped haddock consistently without bones???? On the plus side, they are reasonably cheap and as they have virtually no competition (Rothesay has only one chip shop and it's really dire), they enjoy some popularity.

• Visited June 2012
6 Thank roomless
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Squat Lobster.
We are now up an running again 7 days a week throughout the season. Unfortunately my husband became ill last year (having 6 strokes between May and September when he died), and this did affect the opening of the business.
We continue to expect our fish supplier to provide us with the finest haddock from the North Sea, via Peterhead. We order large haddock fillets, known as singles, which are the complete side of a large fish and that is why they are characteristically the shape they are, wider at one end than the tail end. Most fish & chip establishements serve "angel fillets" which are from smaller fish and are, to put it simply, opened out smaller fish, with a more rounded appearance at one end because of this. So maybe these are the type of fillets that you usually come across, but we prefer thicher meatier fillets, and are prepared to pay the higher price that this entails and which we know that the majoprity of our customers prefer. The only processing which takes place is of the filleting itself. Other than mackerel it is widely known that there are unfortunately no longer any fish in numbers in this part of the Clyde and we have never implied that our deep-water fish are from this area. However, the bay here around Rothesay is abundant with Langoustine and squat lobsters and it is these shellfish which we proudly claim to be from local sources, indeed my husband and I had our own creel fishing boat and used to catch our own shelllfish in this sustainable way (rather than trawling).
Hopefully this has addressed the points raised in your review. I do find it somewhat disturbing that you felt able to make the comments that you did, as though they were based on factual evidence. I can assure you have been mislead. I hope that you find the time to visit us this year at The Squat Lobster by the Pier in Rothesay, where I can assure you that I am continuing to run the business with the same integrity as my husband always did, and without which we would not have the incredibly good reputation that we now have. .
cumbernauld
“Nice fish”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Excellent fish and lovely squat loster cocktail.Keep up the good work

Visited June 2012