“WONDERFUL FISH FABULOUS FRIENDLY SERVICE”
Review of The Squat Lobster - CLOSED

The Squat Lobster
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, British, Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Message on The Squat Lobster Facebook page from a customer this evening ... "Defo waiting for some decent Fish n' Chips - don't keep us in suspense" My reply ....."I keep seeing you walking by, and I am dying to tell you..hopefully I can update you in about a week...I am so missing fish and Chips and local seafood too !"
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL FISH FABULOUS FRIENDLY SERVICE”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Fish of outstanding quality professionally hand filleted, better than all the mass produced rubbish.
Have been visiting this place after reading the review in the Sunday Times. A friendly service cheerfull chatty owner. all in all a pleasant experience, loads of chips. We sat on the harbour front, ate with a lovely view and huge portion. Cant wait for spring so we can come back, when they will open again.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Travel_Teddybears

West of Scotland
“A little fishy”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

To call this place, 'quirky' would be an understatement. First of all, it is very hard to tell when they are open as they seem to open and close on a whim. Secondly, the fish is not as fresh as implied as most of it comes from wholesale, processed foodstuff suppliers and not off the boat as is so often suggested. Think about it, when did you ever see a diamond shaped haddock consistently without bones???? On the plus side, they are reasonably cheap and as they have virtually no competition (Rothesay has only one chip shop and it's really dire), they enjoy some popularity.

• Visited June 2012
6 Thank roomless
Karon H, Owner at The Squat Lobster, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Squat Lobster.
We are now up an running again 7 days a week throughout the season. Unfortunately my husband became ill last year (having 6 strokes between May and September when he died), and this did affect the opening of the business.
We continue to expect our fish supplier to provide us with the finest haddock from the North Sea, via Peterhead. We order large haddock fillets, known as singles, which are the complete side of a large fish and that is why they are characteristically the shape they are, wider at one end than the tail end. Most fish & chip establishements serve "angel fillets" which are from smaller fish and are, to put it simply, opened out smaller fish, with a more rounded appearance at one end because of this. So maybe these are the type of fillets that you usually come across, but we prefer thicher meatier fillets, and are prepared to pay the higher price that this entails and which we know that the majoprity of our customers prefer. The only processing which takes place is of the filleting itself. Other than mackerel it is widely known that there are unfortunately no longer any fish in numbers in this part of the Clyde and we have never implied that our deep-water fish are from this area. However, the bay here around Rothesay is abundant with Langoustine and squat lobsters and it is these shellfish which we proudly claim to be from local sources, indeed my husband and I had our own creel fishing boat and used to catch our own shelllfish in this sustainable way (rather than trawling).
Hopefully this has addressed the points raised in your review. I do find it somewhat disturbing that you felt able to make the comments that you did, as though they were based on factual evidence. I can assure you have been mislead. I hope that you find the time to visit us this year at The Squat Lobster by the Pier in Rothesay, where I can assure you that I am continuing to run the business with the same integrity as my husband always did, and without which we would not have the incredibly good reputation that we now have. .
cumbernauld
“Nice fish”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Excellent fish and lovely squat loster cocktail.Keep up the good work

Visited June 2012
3 Thank NoraCumbernauld
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Fine, if you like frozen chips”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Quaint little building next to the putting green with lots of places to sit and eat.We were swayed by a sign listing TA reviews and some reference to a Sunday Times review.3 fish suppers and 2 cans of coke cost over £20.They were cooked to order and really well presented in a box with a slice of lemon and a tartar sauce sachet.The fish were great but the chips were McCains or similar frozen stuff that I didn't expect (especially for the price).I may be old fashioned but I want my chips to be real tatties !

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Dougie A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best fish and chips i have ever tasted.”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

If you are visiting rothesay seek out this little treasure of a place you will not be disappointed. It is truely best fish in town.

Visited December 2011