The Royal an Lochan
$142
Kilfinan Hotel(Kilfinan)
$142
  • Restaurant
Stonefield Castle Hotel(Tarbert)(Great Value!)
$100
  • Breakfast included
$141
The Kames Hotel(Tighnabruaich)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsshinty barsea viewlangoustinesseafoodboth nightsduckmid week breakcheese boardwine listowners and staffspacious bathroomitison dealdining roomseparate showerthis lovely hoteltwo night stayrelaxing break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in March and while we thought that there were many 'good touches', that Gabi & Andrea were fantastic and, that the building was quirky and characterful we were left with a bit of a sour taste.
Good customer service is only ever fully tested when things go wrong. When the shower was 'problematic' it would have been nice to have been updated by Keith rather than having to chase for an answer. It would have been nice to have had acknowledgement that we had experienced difficulties rather than experiencing a 'right at all costs' attitude. When Christine was rather abrupt and made us feel uncomfortable, it would have been nice had she spent 2 minutes re-setting a table for us to sit at, it would have been nice to have an apology when we later raised this rather than being given the cold shoulder for the rest of the evening. It would have been nice if it had all been handled differently - a guest should not be made to feel awkward or an 'outsider'. It's a real pity.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank AJPat62
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

It is very rare that we come across a customer who despite all our endeavours is still not happy, but they do exist!
Thank you for your review, Gabi and Andrea are definitely a great asset to our team, and our customer service throughout is faultless the majority of the time, however when problems arise we do our best to overcome them. There seems to be a number of issues you have raised and I would like to respond as follows.
When you came down for breakfast all the tables in the front breakfast room were in use so the only tables available were in the second breakfast room at the rear of the hotel, there was not a table available in the front breakfast room to reset as everyone had come down to breakfast within 10 minutes of each other. We always set enough tables for all our guests without having to do any resets, however we will do a reset if there is a free table.
You raised an issue with your shower at breakfast, I apologised for your problem, I also said you should have called down to reception and we could have given you access to another room for a shower, rather than having to as you said “wash your hair in cold water”. I then went away and checked if we could move you to another room and suggested this to you on my return but you were both happy for Keith to look at the shower whilst you we out for the day. On looking at the shower, both Keith and our house keeper could find no problem other than being patient and waiting for it to balance itself, and yes, you should not have had to go looking for an answer from Keith and I can only apologise for that. I would also like to note that we have not had any complaints about this shower from other guests either before or after your stay.
I would like readers of this review to note that on trying to book with us, you wanted to purchase a deal that was not available in March, you wanted desperately to stay on a particular date because it was your husband’s birthday, so Keith went out of his way to ‘invent’ a similar deal so that you could both enjoy his birthday. So the fact that you had to complain about most things and were never happy with any solution we offered, maybe we were the ones “left with a bit of a sour taste”.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel has created an attractive interior from which to enjoy the wonderful views it offers over the Kyles of Bute. The decor is unfussy, with numerous paintings and prints (mostly for sale) by local artists. The lounge is particularly pleasing with a 'conservatory' front section and a cozy hinterland of fires and sofas for when the light fades. The breakfast room and restaurant also face the sea. The food lives up to the ambience - fresh and good and with touches of flair in the design of some of the dishes. Our room was comfortable and spacious and, being one of the two bay windowed rooms, offered a particularly good version of The View. My only quibble is with the piped music, which struck me as the aural equivalent of running a ticker tape along the windows: a distraction, not an enhancement.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind review! Its a shame we are only 'Almost perfect' but then again if we were perfect there would be no room for us to improve! We note your comment on the music and it was a shame it was not to your liking, and maybe this is something we should look into! Kind regards, Christine

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the hotel having booked the same via Groupon for my dad's 80th birthday. On arrival we were met by Andrea who was very welcoming and showed us to our rooms. Both myself and my parents had a sea view and the rooms were excellent, couldnt fault them at all. We dined in the restaurant on the first night (the bar on the second night) and the food was of a very high quality on both occasions .... I tried scallops for the first time and they were to die for!!!
I cant thank Keith, Christine, Gaby and Andrea enough for making my dad's 80th birthday, and his first visit to Scotland, a time he will never forget. Would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and hopefully we will all be back for his 90th :-)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review, it was our pleasure to make your Dad's 80th one to remember, and there is no doubt in my mind that you will all be back again to celebrate but why wait until Dad's 90th I am sure you will find another excuse the return! Sending your Dad a big hug and I hope he has finished celebrating! Christine

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We spent 2 nights in Room 4 (with our dog) which faces the loch, from 14th to 16th March 2013 on the Groupon deal. We found the hotel really excellent with both the owners and staff being friendly and attentive. The room was was lit, warm and welcoming on our arrival and the food was of a very high standard.

We will certainly be back and would have no hesitation of booking directly with the hotel

Ian

Room Tip: The front facing rooms are well worth the little extra. Two of these are dog friendly.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we all work hard to make your stay a memorable one, and first impressions make a difference, we therefore ensure all the rooms, both bedrooms and public rooms, are warm and welcoming through out the year. We also strive to get the balance between being attentive and intruding in your break, I for one think the staff all do an excellent job at getting this just right. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and the dogs back to visit. Christine

Reviewed February 25, 2013

On arrival staff very welcoming and friendly, bedroom spotless with small touches such as home made shortbread, bathroom fantastic lovely soft towels etc etc. Dining in restaurant well worth visit, excellent choice and of high quality.

We used hotel as base for walking and again found owners helpful in suggesting walks for all age groups

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends