“On the seafood trail”

The Royal an Lochan Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've been spending weekends on the west coast of Scotland for the past few years, on a quest for the best seafood. I think we have found it. The scallops with popcorn mussels were cooked to perfection and oozing with freshness. And it was served so pleasantly by a small but warm band of happy staff! It was a pleasure to be at the hotel over the June weekend and see how a happy hotel works. It wasn't just the seafood. The first course (one evening - beautifully smoked pigeon breast and another evening -a stunning beetroot concoction) matched the cooking of the main course. And the breakfasts were equally well constructed- from the preserves, muesli, real yoghurt to the quality of the poached eggs. Bravo to Royal an Lochan for your care...and this includes the chef, who I dont think we saw. A beautiful room, too, and matching the quality of the hotel and its food, it was spotless! Dont judge a book by its cover......from the outside, the Royal an Lochan is not the quaintest hotel to look at.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I liked everything about the food here. A starter of scallops on cucumber ribbons with popcorn mussels was perfectly cooked. My main of pan fried fillet of trout on a bed of samphire with spiced couscous was so outstanding that I remarked to our waitress I had never tasted better. It was a delight to eat here. Beautifully presented and just gorgeous.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a very nice bar meal in the Shinty Bar. Great traditional bar with a log fire and plenty of character.

TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for review on the Shinty Bar, I am not sure it has changed much in the last 50yrs apart from a lick of paint and more up to date photos of the our shinty team, Kyles Athletic! Giving it that traditional cosy local bar feel. Currently the bar is empty as we are bathed in sunshine and everyone is having lunch outside.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The steak sandwiches are great - particularly with a pink of real ale. The restaurant at the front has panoramic views of the Kyles of Bute.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I first visited the Royal 10 years ago, we arrived by boat and toed up next to a mooring on the sea front, I dont thing the mooring is still there although you could run a dinghy ashore. Anyway, i was with a party of 6 for dinner, short notice booking but they found us a great table. I had a starter of scallops, well cooked and simple but tasted superb. Main course was halibut, I reviewed a restaurant in Fort William (crannog) where i also had a halibut main, the crannog served a overcooked tiny portion, the Royal on the other hand served up a great portion, cooked to perfection. Everybody enjoyed their food, we also had copious alcohol, in fact to much and as group we were fairly loud. A couple who were sat behind us complained that we were loud, rather embarrassing and I apologise if they happen to read this review. We should of been a bit quieter, however as a criticism i think the restaurant could of put the couple on a different table, it wasn't full and the tables were very tight. Overall a very enjoyable night and a second fantastic visit to this restaurant for me, I will be back (if they will have me!)