“Brilliant”

The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taynuilt
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We arrived at the Brander Lodge and did not expect much. But we were blown away. The food was to die for, the service was the best I have experienced, the night entertainmet was exceptional. I do think the family who run this hotel should be proud of themselves, some Scottish hoteliers should have a look and see how a hotel should be run. Go and try it. Best night for a long time

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one facing garden?
1  Thank dpsc05580
TheBranderLodge, Manager at The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Than you ever so much for your review and your friendship during your stay, it was a pleasure to meet you both and we all look forward to seeing you again in the future. Your comments are enspiring for us all and make the long hours in operating a Hotel well worth while. It is through guests like you that this Hotel will continue to grow in strength. We also look forward to hosting your friends on a Rugby trip should you wish to encourage the visit.

David

There are newer reviews for The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had mixed feeling when i received a group on deal for an overnight stay with dinner bed and breakfast at this venue. Several years ago I had my wedding reception here and booked the entire hotel for family and friends for a few nights00.The owner at the time almost ruined my wedding day with a stinking attitude threatening to throw all guests and myself out unless we paid him extra cash over and above our written venue hire agreement. A family member was forced to pay this out of her own pocket as he threatened her with the police.Despite this nightmare scenario the venue was in the perfect location for our big day and celebrations and as long as we all stayed clear of this fiery owner everything ran smoothly, but we all vowed never to return!
Gladly the Brander has all new owners since our experience and has also began a total refurbishment of the whole property. The new owners have also employed completely new staff with a fantastic new local chef who made our latest visit truly memorable.
I had a relative over from Canada who's last visit was on our wedding and was delighted with both the new decor and the level of service displayed at this new venue. Our food throughout the visit was first class and we were lucky enough to spend some time chatting to the new owner who was both approachable and professional in his plans for the future invigoration of this hotel. They are working hard to improve the decor in all the rooms with noticeable achievements already in the dining room and lounge.
With the locally sourced menu a real highpoint of our visit, i urge anyone to pop in for a juicy steak even if theyre not passing this area! The staff were friendly and courteous and service excellent a real improvement all round, can't wait to see what this passionate team do now. Thanks guys and good luck.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Baldyscone
TheBranderLodge, Owner at The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2011

Thank you so much for your review which the staff have taken great joy in and it confirms my monthly chat the most important thing in the Hospitality trade is to be friendly and welcoming.

I was raised to treat people as you would expect to be treated yourself and I pass this onto my loyal, cheerful, local staff so it is nice to know it is working.

We will be approaching previous guests with an email and a "come see our refurbishment completion promotion" once we have found the cash and of course the time to further the work.

Getting to meet guests like yourselves that are interested in the efforts we are going to and the ongoing upgrade of facilities we began just twelves months ago upon buying the premises, and who appreciate what we have to offer is great encouragement and we shall keep you posted as to further developments. Kind regards David Keat. Owner/Manager.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed for a single night and were very impressed by both the hotel itself and the staff, who were friendliness itself. Food was delicious (and huge portions). The rooms themselves are perhaps a little bit dated, but very clean and with piping hot water in the bathroom. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Ob_Bks

Thank you for your positive approach to your stay with us here at Brander Lodge, we are proud of our product and shall keep striving to improve upon every aspect including the fabric of the building.
It all helps when feed back of this nature reaches us and myself, family and the staff certainly appreciate your comments.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We had a Groupon booking for one night dinner bed and breakfast. The staff were all friendly and made us feel most welcome. The food for dinner and breakfast was outstanding with plenty of choice and first class service and presentation. My steak was cooked to perfection and really had the taste of quality meat - I did enjoy dinner and breakfast so much. The beroom was clean but did require some redecoration but the beds were comfortable so we enjoyed a good nights sleep. The bathroom was adequate with an old style shower and the bath had no handle help getting out - a must for the less mobile and retired guests. The superb food and service, where nothing was too much trouble, would bring me back without a doubt.

2  Thank H Alan J

Thank you so much for your positive feed back on our food and service. We were trilled to receive your review and shall endeavour to maintain and even improve upon everything.

We look forward to your return visit in 2012 once we have had time to complete the major refurbishments planned for the Accommodation wing scheduled for March 2012 all going well.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

We spent one night here using a Groupon Voucher. The main purpose of the trip was to play golf at the local Taynuilt golf course. We did this shortly after booking into the hotel. The hotel owner was helpful with directions to the course but hadn't played it himself. The hotel was quite busy with visitors from overseas as well as the UK. Dinner was very good and breakfast superb. Being a 'Groupon' deal we did not get the best room in the hotel. The floors were laminated. This didn't affect us but meant the people in the room above us sounded as though they had hobnail boots on. The bathroom was in need of re-decoration and perhaps wasn't quite as clean as it could have been. Clean on the surface but under the wash-hand basin was not up to standard. Room was quiet as it was at the fartherest away point of the hotel. Very good value and the grounds and location were wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoriWoodger

Thank you for your review it is much appreciated by our small but proud team and I personally are delighted you found the Brander Lodge such good value.

We will endeavour to continue as we have started continuing to make improvements to the building internally and externally and offering what we feel to be good value accompanied by friendly personal service.

The menu will change seasonally where possible to offer variety to regular customers of which we have many.

Owner/Manager.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was trying to think of a time when I was made to feel so welcome at a hotel, and I must say I am struggling, all the staff were very nice, polite and extremely helpful.

I was later arriving than I had planned, and although the restaurant was getting close to end of service I was told I didn't need to rush and that I should take my time to get settled. When I did sit down to dinner I was blown away the menu was versatile and very well thought out, and the quality of the food was excellent and rivalled some of the better restaurants I have eaten in, it was packed with flavour, the portion sizes were good and it looked wonderful.

The lounge area is a lovely place to enjoy afternoon tea, sit and read a book or have a drink before dinner, it is nicely decorated, with lots of books to borrow during your stay and it looks out onto the beuatiful garden and hills beyond.

I guess for me where the hotel didn't really meet my expectations is the bedroom. Although the bed was really comfortable, for me there weren't enough accessible power sockets (only two that I found), so by the time the TV was plugged in and my phone was charging I couldnt make a cup of tea or charge my camera, sat nav or iPad. There wasn't a phone in the room and there were little niggly issues with the decor, i.e. only two of the three panels of the door frame where painted, there were scuffs on the radiator and the curtains that didnt block out all the light as there werent enough curtain hooks, but as I said, minor points.

However, the bathroom or more importantly the shower was horrendous, I was unable to control the temperature and there wasn't decent pressure. On day one, I scalded myself before deciding maybe a cold shower was better than nothing. On day two, after 15 minutes where I resembled a safe cracker trying to get the shower controls just so, in order to have a warm shower, I gave up, used my mobile to call the hotel (remember no phone in the room) and asked for someone to come and fix the issue, the owner offered to let me use the shower in the spa so I wouldnt be late. This was a nice compromise but it would have been nice to have not needed it.

Although when everything is said and done, would I return....in a heartbeat. It is the staff and food that make this a great little hotel, and given that David and Sheila have only had the hotel a year you can forgive some of the issues, especially if they do indeed spend some time and money fixing the bathrooms. I look forward to my next trip and to seeing this little gem of a hotel turn into a totally fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 2, I cant offer more advice as I only stayed in one room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Rachael C

Thank you for your detailed review it is much appreciated. We shall continue to make the planned improvements and ensure that the Brander Lodge is restored to it's past glory and better. It is wonderful have a project to work on that pleases guests and locals alike and that sets ourselves as owners good challenges.
All reviews aid us in our future plans and guide us in directions where we must improve so good or bad a review is appreciated.

Naturally a review like your goes a long way to inspire myself to continue to achieve my goal and also rewards staff in a way that makes them proud to be part of the team.

We look forward to your return and to us having more done on the improvements level.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had a fantastic 4 night stay here. Friendly owners and staff and the food was lovely. The cooked breakfast was a great start to the day.We ate 3 nights in the bistro and ate elsewhere on another night but wish we had eaten at the Brander Lodge. The room was spotless and loads of hot water. This hotel is in a great location,had trips to Oban,Ben Cruachan and the Island of Mull then onto Iona.We would definately go back to the Brander Lodge and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taynuilt
The Taynuilt
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Inveraray
Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island

Been to The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!