“Not bad Indian resturant”
Review of Coriander

Coriander
Ranked #7 of 14 Restaurants in Lochgilphead
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We had a takeaway for 8 of us when on holiday in nearby crinan. The food was tasty especially chicken palak. The Korma, butter chicken and tikka masala all tasted the same with varying degrees of food colouring to differentiate them. All together not bad

2  Thank jackieb0y

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Short version: every now and then we think we should give this place another go. Then we remember why this is a bad idea.

Long version: I had the Prawn Puri for my starter. The overall taste was slightly harsh, as if someone had used too much tomato puree. At least it was hot this time, unlike on our last visit when we could see our starters sitting on the counter for a good 5 to 10 minutes before they were brought to our table. My partner had the Hot & Sour Soup. He said that last time was very good, but this time it tasted as if the chef had gone a bit wild with the pepper grinder. I had Vegetable Dansak for my main course, which tasted like lentil soup that had been heavily garnished with cinnamon. Dansak is my favourite dish so I have had it in quite a few restaurants and I have known it to taste anything like this one did. My partner had Lamb Vindaloo which he said tasted like it had been made using Patak's Curry Sauce (not that there is anything wrong with Patak's, IF you are buying it from the supermarket for a quick and cheap dinner). The garlic naan was nice but the mushroom rice was less than impressive.

Anyway, the next time we think about going here again I will re-read this review and just not do it.

1  Thank Greyluvver
Reviewed February 16, 2013

A really pleasant surprise in a small town on the edge of the Highlands. We have just returned from a meal at Coriander where the quality of the meal was superb. We all chose the Indian options but there was a comprehensive Chinese menu available too, and which seemed to be doing a roaring take away trade.

We live near Bradford in Yorkshire where there are many first class curry restaurants and the food here was up with the best of them. The decor both inside and out doesn't exactly fill you with confidence being far more functional than artistic but is comfortable enough. However, the quality of the experience and the food is the true test of the restaurant and Coriander passes both with flying colours. Our waiter was a pleasant local lad Ally ably supported by his colleagues who were always attentive and on hand but never overbearing.

Each of the three of us had the prawn puri starter which was a great blend of fresh tastes with not too much tomato but just the right balance with spices and a really light, tasty puri set the standard for what was to follow. We chose three dishes of lamb and chicken to share along with side dishes of chick peas and mushroom bhaji. The taste of all of them was superb all being freshly prepared with good quality ingredients that produced a great dining experience.

At the end of the meal the manager came over to ask how we had enjoyed the meal and joined us for a while in a really interesting chat. His enthusiasm and friendliness was evident in both his approach and that of his staff and restaurant experience.

Th value of the food was great and we could bring our own drinks too ensuring that we had just what we enjoyed at a great price.

I would have no hesitation in recommending that if you are in the area make an effort to have a meal at Coriander which I'm sure will give you yet another good reason to come back to Scotland.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

food always excellent, staff always very friendly and accommodating. Great for group nights out. Lots to choose from on menu

Reviewed November 26, 2012

A great choice of Indian and chinese cuisine at value for money prices and friendly staff. Bring your own bear makes this a very inexpensive place to dine