“Dated”
Review of Argyll Cafe

Argyll Cafe
“Dated”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We visited this cafe on Saturday 6th October to have some breakfast prior to setting off on a long journey. We found it fairly disappointing to be honest. On entering the cafe you are immediately met by a strong smell of fish and chip odour which at 0930 in the morning is far from appetising. We thought we would give it a try. We ordered our food and waited for it to arrive giving us a good chance to have a look around. The whole place is like something from the 70's and in need of updating. The tables (once varnished wood) are flaking and only have varnish at the edges. Our food arrived and was okay. We had ordered bacon egg and sausage and a bacon roll. To be fair it was reasonable for the price we paid but the cheap link sausage they used was a huge disappointment especially considering they are a couple of shops away from the local butcher. Our visit served a purpose but sadly i dont think we will be returning there any time soon.

1 Thank FireStar999

Rothesay, United Kingdom
“Delicious and great service!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

So welcoming and friendly in all respects with lovely fresh fish and chips. As I travel to Lochgilphead every week I will be back!

Visited September 2012
Clydebank, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Fantastic fish tea! Nothing to dislike about it. Service was great and the waitress was friendly and efficient without rushing you. I'll be back to try the haggis lasagne.

Visited July 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We really just ended up here as one of our colleagues had walked in this direction and this was one of the better looking options for dinner.

I personally had the steak and it was one of the best steaks I've had in a long time - the peppercorn sauce was pretty tasteless so I wouldn't recommend the additional outlay, but the steak and the accompaniments were brilliant.

There was some kind of all women birthday party/hen night or something on the other side of the restaurant so the atmosphere was a little bit poor, but then again I suppose had they not been there, then our table of 6 would have been the rowdy table so I shouldn't really complain, plus it's not really the Argyll's fault that Argyle's "Tallent" arrived en-mass

Visited July 2012
Port Hardy, Canada
“The best fish and chips in Scotland!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I was walking down the street in Lochgilphead, very hungry after having hiked Ben Nevis the day before. I was drawn by the lineup out the door for take away orders and popped into the restaurant to see what all the fuss was about. I had the battered haddock and chips - yum - after the thorough explanation and recommendation from the waitress who tells me that the fish is brought in fresh each day from Tarbert. It certainly tastes fresh! All was good, even the mushy peas. I stopped in again for one more round before leaving the area and it was just as good the second time.

1 Thank RedSnapper40