“Fantastic stay”

Edencoille Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 10 Kinlochleven B&B and Inns
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We are a mixed group of walkers of varying ages and we all loved edencoille. The warm welcome we received was second to none and the rooms were the most welcoming we had seen all week on the west highland way. The beds are so comfortable that it was a thought to get up and the showers were far better than we had found all week.

The breakfast selection is fantastic and there's something for everyone. Packed lunched are available at a very reasonable price although may not be required after the size of breakfast served, we certainly couldn't eat any more.

Finally the value for money at this bed and breakfast is fantastic, we have paid a similar rate for bunk houses that were uninhabitable. All in all a fantastic place and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in kinlochleven.

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank Toptrucker
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you kindly for your review of Edencoille which is very much appreciated. Following recent reviews, we have taken on board all of the comments and are so glad that it has helped to make your stay such an enjoyable experience.

Drew and I want everyone to leave Edencoille as satisfied customers having experienced our fantastic Scottish hospitality. We would love to see you back at Edencoille again.

Warm regards. Elsie & Drew

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glasgow
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at Edencoille on our 4th day of our 5 day hike on the WHW. We were told by the hostess Elsie when we booked that Edencoille was on the WHW path.... and let me tell you .... it isn't. After 22 miles...we walked almost out of Kinlocheleven before asking a local if they knew where Edencoille was...and she said 'Are you ready for a walk?' I nearly died (after 8 hours walking, the last thing I wanted was a walk up another hill!).

We realised that we should have turned left past the Co-op and almost out of the village (up a hill) before getting to Edencoille. Luckily for us, the friendly local offered us a lift which was nice! It's maybe a 10-15 minute walk (south) from the WHW path.

When we got there, we were rather funnily greeted by Snow White and the 7 dwarfs ... which made us laugh... although I did wonder why they had a spare full set of them around the corner too!

We were warmly greeted by Elsie when we got there and pointed in the direction of the drying hut to get our bags. Elsie chatted away and was very friendly and once we had our boots off she directed us to our room. This was the only time we saw Elsie, and her husband and son seemed to have any further dealings with us.

The room was clean and nicely decorated, however the trinkets and dolls continued inside... and all seemed sort of quaint, but sort of over the top too. We had a knitted doll on our bed, which went right into the wardrobe... and other dolls and more shampoo, conditioner and goodies than you'd know what to do with. A pleasant change from the sometimes limited B&Bs we had stayed at.

There was plenty of biscuits, coffee, milk, and even mints available, and there was even a foot spa available which I used. The bed was comfortable, however we woke up in the middle of the night with a very strong smell of cigarette smoke which was sickening.

We put in an order for breakfast and packed lunch the night before we left. We paid £6.50 for a packed lunch... which consisted (rather excessively) of two sandwiches, a bag of out of date crisps, an apple, a mars bar and some concentrate juice. We ended up only eating one of the 4 sandwiches we'd been given as they didn't taste too good (we asked for ham and pickle and got pickle and some mystery meat). 4 sandwiches were far too much especially as we'd have to carry them. We ended up leaving the apple and juice behind.

Breakfast however was good. A large array of fruit and cereals available, and the full scottish breakfast was good, but not the best I've tasted. And there was a good honesty shop available providing tunnocks teacakes etc on the landing which was good.

We were in two minds how to rate this B&B, the positives are that it's clean, the room and en suite were good, and the eccentricities and abundant snacks and toiletries made the place stand out. But the smell of smoke was horrible, the information about it being on the WHW path was incorrect, the hosts seemed too busy to be friendly, the pack lunch was odd and far too much, and some of the food/snacks/crisps were out of date. It's a shame as this place could be good.

I don't think we'd stay here, or in Kinlochleven again, but it was one that stood out for us.

Room Tip: If you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, don't stay here!
1 Thank Lorn472
Thank you kindly for sharing your thoughts about Edencoille with us and it is encouraging that you had so many positives as well as your constructive comments. Sincere thanks for mentioning the good as well as the not so good. It is always a pleasure to read suggested areas of improvement in such a helpful manner.

Thanks also for the many photographs which show everyone the fantastic location that Edencoille is blessed with. May I firstly say that the two toy cats which accompanied you on your West Highland Way adventure look lovely in your photos and thank you for stating in the photos that the cats belonged to you. Now on to your comments.

Previous reviews alerted us to the fact that Drew and I have rested on our laurels somewhat and you can be rest assured that, following previous observations, immediate action has now been taken! We have gladly and wholeheartedly addressed absolutely everything mentioned in both your remarks and previous guests’ comments. We are now back on our way to being the first class establishment that we have prided ourselves upon over the many years.

As you will see from my previous owner replies, we have taken immediate action to make sure there is categorically no longer any trace of smoke, there has been a complete declutter so that our beautifully decorated rooms can be viewed to their full and we are now back on track with what we have always prided ourselves upon – good old fashioned superb Scottish hospitality. However, I do feel that I should mention a few corrections.

With regard to our location, I have been fortunate enough to have offered hospitality to West Highland Way walkers for countless years and I have never misled clients about the location of Edencoille. I always explain that we are ten minutes walk at the very most from the footpath and have never advised that we are on the footpath itself.

In relation to the out of date items, this is quite simply not the case. The crisps were from a brand new box purchased for the first walkers of the season and have a date of May 2012. All other items had been thoroughly checked after previous clients complained about one small milk carton being out of date which was an oversight on my part and which I made sure would never happen again.

Once again, thank you for your comments and if you do change your mind and decide to visit Kinlochleven in the future, then please come and stay with us again. You said that “this place could be good” and I can assure that, after having taken on board all of the recent feedback, Edencoille is indeed once more a great place to stay.

All the very best.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Besides the stellar bathroom, sadly the Edencoille doesn't have too much going for it.

Being located on the edge of town with a nice view, the location itself is great. However, the place reeks of cigarette smoke, as some other reviews already mentioned. It was the only B&B we had all along the WHW where the owner didn't even bother to get our luggage inside the house, but left it in a shed outside, where AMS (our luggage-moving company) could easily drop it off, and where we had to put it back into the next morning, so it would be picked up again.

The room itself was okay, maybe a little over-decorated, but when we closed the bathroom door a left-over drooled-on lollipop in the corner showed that the cleaning of the room hadn't been done too thoroughly.

Another thing about Edencoille was, that it was busy- VERY busy, with 2 tables á 10 people being prepared in the breakfast area and people moving in the house at almost every hour of the night.
On the plus-side, this ment we had the largest selection of cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt and fresh fruit along the way, on the other hand it ment that the almost familial character, which we had come to love our the previous B&Bs, was almost non-existant.

Edencoille B&B is a solid B&B, no doubt, but it just wasn't for us.

1 Thank KBoehmer
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review Edencoille and you are indeed correct. We are blessed with being on the edge of town with fantastic views over to the Mamores and we are sorry that, even although you felt that Edencoille was a solid b&b, it just wasn’t for you. I have to agree that life is very much a matter of ‘horses for courses’ but be rest assured that your constructive comments will be taken on board and may I please offer my comments on the three areas within your review.

With regard to the issue of smoking, as I mentioned in a previous post, for my sins I do smoke but can categorically state that I never smoke in the house and that Edencoille is a strictly non-smoking establishment. When a lady posted this in a review earlier, I could not understand it and took action to try to find out why she mentioned the smell of smoke and came to the conclusion that it may very well have been the ashtray which was provided for guests outside the front door, ie the closest location to that particular ladies’ room. Needless to say, this was removed immediately.

In relation to the drooled-on lollipop, we pride ourselves on our b&b being a spotlessly clean establishment which readers will see runs as a theme throughout the previous reviews. On the particular day of your stay, my grandchildren had been visiting so one of the little blighters must have dropped it there, no doubt during a game of hide and seek. We do try to keep them out of the guest bedrooms whenever possible but kids will be kids and you really do have to have eyes in the back of your head!! I can only but apologise to you in this regard.

Finally, may I please explain about the baggage situation and the need for the ourdoor luggage storage. I realise that the establishments you stayed in did not offer this facility but I do know from personal experience that it is commonplace in countless establishments along the West Highland Way. A hut was kindly erected in the grounds of the b&b for safe storage of clients’ baggage and this works well for the majority of our clients who are happy to collect their bags just as they would from an airport baggage carousel. The baggage companies do impose a weight limit so that clients’ bags are all reasonably manageable so we thank our clients kindly for their efforts in this regard.
glasgow
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Arrived here late whilst walking the WHW, Elsie very kindly allowed us to eat our fish and chips in the cosy sitting room. She was welcoming and friendly. The house is quirky - its a mix of old and new but in my opinion its uniqueness is a big plus. Breakfast in the morning was huge. Too much actually, and we all felt guilty at how little of it we managed to eat. Maybe a buffet style would work better, less waste? After such a lovely welcome from Elsie the night before, it was a very different atmosphere in the morning . Drew was dressed in joggers and a t shirt and definitely does not seem to be a morning person. He seemed impatient and slightly grumpy and served us with the minimum of conversation, although we tried to have a chat with him. it made for a very quiet breakfast for us. Such a shame to leave the place with this as the lasting impression.Maybe Elsie should do mornings?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
It was a pleasure to be part of your West Highland Way walking experience and thank you kindly for taking the time to post a comment. We are always happy to cater for every need whether it be recommending local eating establishments or allowing you to rest your weary feet whilst tucking into fish and chips.

We do try to offer the best Scottish hospitality and if Drew was a little off in the morning, then we can only profusely apologise. As mentioned to a previous reviewer, Drew suffered a stroke recently and it is taking him a wee while to get back on track. I am sure that he will soon be back to his normal cheery self in no time at all!
scotland
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed here while passing through Kinlochleven on the west highland way, Previous reviews mentioned the smell of smoke and unfriendly owners but there was no trace of smoke and we found the owners to be pleasant and unobtrusive. Our double room was clean and comfy and provided lots of little extra including a foot spa. The breakfast was the best one of the trip. The only thing i would change would be the teddies and freaky clown in the bedroom, i had to cover it with my hat!!

2 Thank jillicious
FalkieBairn, Owner at Edencoille Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Many thanks for your kind comments and as mentioned in my other owner’s replies, we do work very hard to provide our guests with a comfortable stay with plenty of amenities. Since most of our trade comes from walkers, we strive to offer the best breakfast possible to give them a good start to the day. Here at Edencoille we are always willing to consider clients’ comments and will certainly take on board your mention about the teddies and clown. Your comments actually led me to Google fear of clowns, ie Coulrophobia and interestingly this is actually quite common so I have certainly been enlightened - you learn something new every day!
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Everything was there but the welcome. Greeted by a man of few words who showed us to a tiny twin bedded room. As all the other rooms were open we could see it was the smallest room in the place. Their was only one other room occupied so thought that was abit mean. Beautifully decorated, but my husband didn't want a teddy bear on his bed or a white dressing gown with pink hearts on it. Barely enough room for 2 suitcases & 2 rucksacks as it was the tiny wardrobe was full of rolls of wallpaper. Excellent selection of shower products, biscuits & beverages. Wasn't told there was a bath or that we had access to a lounge. Luckily nice chippy & pub down the road. Would have rather stayed in the pub. Breakfast was excellent with loverly fresh fruit. Strange experience as the B&B had ultra feminine furnishings but seemed to be run soley by a man. Rooms need to be decluttered. Felt like I was intruding in somebody elses house. Won't return.

2 Thank petejackie50
Clients’ comments are always welcome and are invaluable so thank you kindly for your post. Firstly, may I apologise if you felt that you did not experience the kind of welcome that we have always prided ourselves with here at Edencoille. My husband Drew recently suffered a stroke and although he is making brilliant progress, you have quite rightly brought to our attention that he is not offering the usual cheery welcome that clients have come to expect and have seen them returning year after year. As Rabbie Burns once said in To a Louse “O would some Power the gift to give us, to see ourselves as others see us!” So thank you for your comments in this respect.

We appreciate the mention of the teddy bear and the dressing gown and will take this on board. Here at Edencoille, our b&b is our home and we would hope that our every single one of our clients feels as comfortable as if they were actually staying at home. In our opinion, that this is what bed and breakfast is all about.
galashiels
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here while walking the WHW. We rang the doorbell and when the door was opened, we were met by an overpowering smell of cigarette smoke. As we bent down to remove our boots, we were told to keep them on as we would have to walk round to the shed to get our bags. There was no offer of help with them, even although we are a couple of middle aged women! We were shown to our room which was on the ground floor. The door had been wedged open, so the smell of smoke was everywhere. We had to immediately close the door and open all the windows to try and get some fresh air. Although the bed was the best we had slept in all week, with beautiful bedding, the whole room was just a bit too much. Large teddy bears on the bed, ornaments and personal touches everywhere, too much furniture and not enough room to swing a cat never mind a place on the floor to put our bags.
The bathroom though was spotless, if glitzy and had more toiletries than you would ever need and plenty of hot water.
We were unable to enjoy our early morning tea, as the sachets of milk curdled in the cup and were four months out of date.
We had to choose our breakfast the night before. The food itself looked fine, with plenty of fresh fruit available and porridge too. I asked for decaf coffee and a jar of instant was plonked on the table. I opened it and nothing moved. I checked the label and it had a use by date of Nov 2010 on it so I just had hot water instead. Didn't like to say anything having already mentioned the out of date milk in the room.. It kind of made me a bit wary of everything I ate after that.
At this point our hostess decided to make an appearance and stood talking to us while we were trying to eat. We had thought till that point tat Drew ran the place on his own.
We had asked the night before if we could get a sandwich for the following day only to be told that they only did full packed lunches. There was no one else staying. Was a sandwich too much to ask for? We were told to go to the co-op which we did in the morning.
This could be a great place to stay if it didn't reek of smoke, if the guest rooms were stripped back a bit and if the host didn't make you feel you were an inconvenience by being there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank timeoutgalashiels
Thank you to the ladies for their review and for staying at Edencoille. As we all know, constructive comments such as these can only help to keep one improving one’s standards and ensuring that the service to our guests is second to none.

Here at Edencoille, myself and my husband have worked hard over the years to provide our guests with the best Scottish hospitality experience possible. We pride ourselves on being able to offer our guests everything they need – from a comfortable bed, a spotlessly clean establishment with well furnished en-suites, plenty of hot water, a hearty breakfast with unlimited choice, complimentary toiletries, foot spas for the weary feet of West Highland Way walkers and hill walkers alike and, of course, some good old fashioned Scottish chit chat! We do appreciate, however, that our personal choice of décor and ornaments may not be to everyone’s liking and we will certainly take these comments on board.

May I firstly apologise profusely for the out of date sachet of milk in the ladies’ room. If the ladies had brought this to my attention at the time instead of waiting until the next morning, then I would have rectified it immediately and I was more than happy to give the lady a jug of fresh milk for her flask that morning. Immediately after the ladies left, I checked the other sachets in all of the rooms, and they were all fine. That said, I acknowledge that this should never have happened in the first place and rest assured, it will never happen again.

In relation to the packed lunches, we are sorry that we were only able to offer brown bread on this particular occasion and that this was unsuitable since the ladies’ request had been for white bread. Since our comprehensive packed lunches are priced at £5.00 each and the ladies did not wish to pay for these, we felt that it would be better value for money for them to be able to purchase white bread sandwiches from the local Co-op which is just down the road and which they would be passing in any case on their way back to the West Highland Way footpath.

May I please finish by referring to the mention about the cigarette smoke. For my sins, I do admit that I smoke but can categorically state that I never smoke in the house. If the smell of smoke was from myself, then I can only apologise and I will take this on board and I can make assurances that Edencoille Guest House is a completely non-smoking establishment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#5 of 10 in Kinlochleven
Blackwater Hostel
Blackwater Hostel
#1 of 4 in Kinlochleven

Been to Edencoille Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!