“Good value Bed & Breakfast”
Review of Tailrace Inn

and 1 more site!
Tailrace Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Kinlochleven B&B and Inns
Gloucestershire
“Good value Bed & Breakfast”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked into the area not long before our trip and the main accommodation in Glencoe did not have 2 en-suite rooms available for the night we wanted. The Tailrace was however a good B&B with comfortable beds a good shower room and good breakfast. On first arrival the pub itself seemed it might be a bit rowdy later on but that fear proved unfounded. So we all had a good night's sleep and a good food in the morning to send us on our way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Interestingly, one of the most notable things about the Tailrace Inn for me was the homey atmosphere. This is a busy pub/inn, attracting a number of locals and tourists alike (mainly from the West Highland Way walk). The pool table seems a big drawcard for the locals! We stayed two nights. It's not pretty, as a previous reviewer has said. Don't expect elegance and grace - expect a good, clean, spacious, comfortable place to stay in a tiny, but scenic, town. It's warm - literally and metaphorically! Check in at the bar, enjoy a proper breakfast then set out on your walk. This is an amazing spot. You can grab a packed lunch if you want to - (nothing extraordinary here... sandwich, juice box, snacks) but it saves hassle and would be great for an extended hike. Ditto about the food for the evening - it was OK but nothing to write home about. I did like the Inn's atmosphere and certainly didn't find that tourists were treated any worse than locals as another reviewer indicated, in fact arguably the opposite. The inn was very welcoming to a hiker that came in late, making up a dish for him after the kitchen had officially closed. Thanks Tailrace, a good stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I were walking the West Highland Way. We were camping nearby and saw the advertisment board outside of this place offering a good deal on their food so in we went for dinner.
I approached the bar, the barmaid finished serving another customer. He was obviously local as they addressed each other using names. She then did something with some glasses at the back of the bar for a minute or so. Turning around she looked at me holding my English ten pound note waiting to be served and carried washing glasses. The next time she turned she walked towards me and served a local over my shoulder, then another who arrived at the bar while she was serving the first. Then she served me. My wife heard her attitude and told me to forget the food order, which I had already wasn't happening anyway. The barmaid served us with contempt, how dare we interupt her when she was busy attitude. We drank outside and left.
I have never had such a hostile reception anywhere. I'm glad we were staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try the Macdonald Hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Malc R
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on day 7 of the WHW with my 8 yr old son. Not the prettiest of places and a little rough in the evenings, however, they more than make up for it with lovely spacious rooms, excellent service and top notch bar food and breakfasts. Good value too. Would happily stay again if doing the WHW again.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

After driving all evening in hopes of making it to Fort Augustus my eyes were just too droopy to continue. I found the Trailrace and with no reservations they had a room. The office to the Inn was closed and I had to speak to the person working the bar. They helped me right away and I had a room in 5 minutes. Breakfast was great and I was able to choose what I wanted the night before.

The staff was more than helpful, and it was nice to have a beer with the locals in the bar on the first floor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had an excellent stay at this bed and breakfast pub.

An warm welcome, clean room with ensuite.

Full cooked breakfast was very good the next morning, parking is outside the front of the pub.

The surrounding countryside is so breathtaking, so it is worth the extra drive to this property just to see the sites.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bath
Reviewed December 9, 2012

3 of us pre-booked to stay here when walking the WHW. A simple local pub with rooms which were reasonably clean and certainly comfortable. It did the job for us and the food (dinner and breakfast) was simple, good, and sensibly priced. But they do need get some decent beer!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#4 of 10 in Kinlochleven
Allt-na-Leven
Allt-na-Leven
#1 of 10 in Kinlochleven

Been to Tailrace Inn? Share your experiences!