“Lovely Dinner at the Macdonald Hotel”

and 1 more site!
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochleven
Massachusetts
“Lovely Dinner at the Macdonald Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We ate dinner but did stay at the Macdonald Hotel and had a delightful and moderately priced meal in extraordinary surroundings.

This is a very friendly and accomodating place where many walkers congregate. The proprietress greeted us and we found the food fresh, well prepared and very pleasantly served.

But what made our visit special was the extraordinary beauty of the location - at the head of Loch Leven with a stunning view down the loch with hills and mountains fading into the mist one after another to infinty. Just one of those places those that makes you feel as if you were in a movie. One terrific evening on the West Highland Way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DLRCohasset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Good hotel, ideal location at exit to village but only thirty metres from climb out of village for those walking the West Highland Way.

Restaurant is very good with some intersting choices. Breakfast was equal satisfying.

Our room became very warm fortunately a fan was provided.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 1939northeast
Troon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed in one of the cabins,two of us,four bunks,room for luggage,heater and midge zapper included! No meter,part of the rate,so no need to be cold!
Good hot showers available.
Very reasonable rates.
Excellent food in the bar.
Lovely location,weather was good so that made for a lovely view in the morning.
Recommended

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed in this hotel whilst walking the west highland way. Many of the hotels we stayed in during this walk seemed to cater solely for walkers. This one seems geared up for all kinds of tourists and not solely walkers. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town so unless you are prepared to walk it is best to eat in the hotel itself. You can choose whether to eat in the restaurant or the bar. The food and prices are the same so the best option is the bar as it has the best views of the loch. Food at dinner was good, but at breakfast could only be described as ordinary.

The room allocated was fine and for the first time we found a hotel which has mesh at the windows to keep out midges whilst at the same time giving you the option to open the window for fresh air. Such a simple thing and we are not sure why other hotels do not do this.

The hotel staff were good. There was a young American student who seemed to be running everything. He was attentive but had a sense of humour that after a time begins to wear. We put it down to being over enthusiastic.

There is also a campsite in the hotel grounds for those who prefer this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I were travelling the west highland way for 11 days and found this gem near the end . This was the only accommodation with mesh on the windows ,and the only one with the availability of a fan in the room. The food was good and the room was excellent, thoroughly recommended !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

After starting the West Highland Way on 31 March staying at hostels along the way our treat for the week was to stay here at the MacDonald Hotel. I arrived earlier than my party as I had a foot injury and from the first I met Francis I felt very much like I had known her all my life!
Francis, her family and staff at this hotel gave excellent service and their hospitality was out of this world. From history of the hotel (which truly is a Clan MacDonald Hotel) to the history of Fort William with regards to West Highland Way was brilliant.
Eating in the Bothy was lovely with a greaty hearty meal (haggis for me!) whether sitting at the coal fire or admiring the view of Loch Leven (which is breathtaking) I would certainly recommend you dine here. The rooms were very comfortable with all your needs seen too.
On my arrival as I said I had a foot injury and Francis was very kind trying to make me as comfortable as possible. She had a friend visiting from America "Sunny" and she was just as helpful & friendly too.
Before setting off to Fort William we had a fantastic Scottish breakfast which is ideal for another walking day (unfortunately I bussed it) but it still set me off for the day.
I feel I'm repeating myself but this was truly a great end to a sad week for me. Accommodation, staff, food & views all outstanding - please try for yourself and I bet you agree!
Thanks again Francis for all your help I really did appreciate it. - Lorraine x

Room Tip: Rooms over the bothy looking out onto Loch Leven ☺
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
LOndon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed in one of the wooden chalets and were bowled over. The view across the loch was stunning and the chalet itself was just delightful. We had stayed in chalets before but not as clean and bright as this. The owners had even added insect zappers and midge screens to windows to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Only one small downside was the showers, it ran out of hot water early in the evening and the shower room itself was in need of some TLC. I would say that during peak times there aren't quite enough showers and loos for campers and chalty folk. We spent a lovely evening enjoying the food and beer in the Bothy bar and have already booked to stay again next year. Loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a chalet and couldn't recommend it enough!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#2 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!