“West Highland Way Stop Over”

and 1 more site!
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochleven
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed in one of the cabins,two of us,four bunks,room for luggage,heater and midge zapper included! No meter,part of the rate,so no need to be cold!
Good hot showers available.
Very reasonable rates.
Excellent food in the bar.
Lovely location,weather was good so that made for a lovely view in the morning.
Recommended

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed in this hotel whilst walking the west highland way. Many of the hotels we stayed in during this walk seemed to cater solely for walkers. This one seems geared up for all kinds of tourists and not solely walkers. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town so unless you are prepared to walk it is best to eat in the hotel itself. You can choose whether to eat in the restaurant or the bar. The food and prices are the same so the best option is the bar as it has the best views of the loch. Food at dinner was good, but at breakfast could only be described as ordinary.

The room allocated was fine and for the first time we found a hotel which has mesh at the windows to keep out midges whilst at the same time giving you the option to open the window for fresh air. Such a simple thing and we are not sure why other hotels do not do this.

The hotel staff were good. There was a young American student who seemed to be running everything. He was attentive but had a sense of humour that after a time begins to wear. We put it down to being over enthusiastic.

There is also a campsite in the hotel grounds for those who prefer this.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I were travelling the west highland way for 11 days and found this gem near the end . This was the only accommodation with mesh on the windows ,and the only one with the availability of a fan in the room. The food was good and the room was excellent, thoroughly recommended !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

After starting the West Highland Way on 31 March staying at hostels along the way our treat for the week was to stay here at the MacDonald Hotel. I arrived earlier than my party as I had a foot injury and from the first I met Francis I felt very much like I had known her all my life!
Francis, her family and staff at this hotel gave excellent service and their hospitality was out of this world. From history of the hotel (which truly is a Clan MacDonald Hotel) to the history of Fort William with regards to West Highland Way was brilliant.
Eating in the Bothy was lovely with a greaty hearty meal (haggis for me!) whether sitting at the coal fire or admiring the view of Loch Leven (which is breathtaking) I would certainly recommend you dine here. The rooms were very comfortable with all your needs seen too.
On my arrival as I said I had a foot injury and Francis was very kind trying to make me as comfortable as possible. She had a friend visiting from America "Sunny" and she was just as helpful & friendly too.
Before setting off to Fort William we had a fantastic Scottish breakfast which is ideal for another walking day (unfortunately I bussed it) but it still set me off for the day.
I feel I'm repeating myself but this was truly a great end to a sad week for me. Accommodation, staff, food & views all outstanding - please try for yourself and I bet you agree!
Thanks again Francis for all your help I really did appreciate it. - Lorraine x

Room Tip: Rooms over the bothy looking out onto Loch Leven ☺
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed in one of the wooden chalets and were bowled over. The view across the loch was stunning and the chalet itself was just delightful. We had stayed in chalets before but not as clean and bright as this. The owners had even added insect zappers and midge screens to windows to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Only one small downside was the showers, it ran out of hot water early in the evening and the shower room itself was in need of some TLC. I would say that during peak times there aren't quite enough showers and loos for campers and chalty folk. We spent a lovely evening enjoying the food and beer in the Bothy bar and have already booked to stay again next year. Loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a chalet and couldn't recommend it enough!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

In Kinlochleven, conveniently right across the street from the West Highland Way trail, is the excellent McDonald Hotel. My wife and I were in Scotland for ten days, part of which involved walking the West Highland Way. An innkeeper earlier in the walk recommended this place to us. This is the best accommodation we had during our Scottish visit. We arrived late, after a particularly long day. Despite the fact that the kitchen was closed, Frances (the owner) made sure we got a great meal (haddock wrapped in salmon ... their food is good!) and a hearty and genuine welcome. We decided to stay an extra day, partly due to how relaxing the hotel was and also the fact that rain was forecast. We got to know Frances (and loved her Gaelic expostulations), and her hospitable and engaging son Magnus, and had interesting chats with other guests. The hotel felt like home ... not brand new, but comfortable and welcoming. Slept great too. Loved meeting the two adopted Scottish deer hounds as well! Nice bar, with good malt whisky selection.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the main building. I understand the cabins are less expensive and adequate...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CarolinaTrekkers
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a lovely place to stay at the end of Loch Leven, whether you're visiting by car or hiking. I agree with other reviews; it isn't 'smart', accommodation is very clean, but quite basic. However, the atmosphere and friendliness of the place are the two elements which shine through. I've stayed twice already and will hope to go back again. Both husbands and dogs are also accepted.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in Onich
Alexandra Hotel
Alexandra Hotel
#11 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!