“If you are looking for perfection.... look no further!”
Review of Allt-na-Leven

Allt-na-Leven
Ranked #1 of 9 Kinlochleven B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Believe the hype, this is by far the best accommodation on the West Highland Way or anywhere! As someone who has enjoyed a long and successful career in event management and conference organsing for some of the world's biggest blue chip companies I am no stranger to 5 start hotels. I have also travelled extensively in the Asia Pacific Region and around Europe and this is one of the best properties I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. Certainly on my recent West Highland Way adventure, although I was booked into some of the best properties on the way, this was BY FAR the best accommodation I had, so much that I did not want to leave. There are 4 star properties and then there is Allt-na-Leven. This property is simply faultless. I am not going to compare it to other properties on the West Highland Way or anywhere else as it is simply incomparable on EVERY level, decor, quality, service and food. Pauline and William deserve every one of the positive reviews they have received and I wish them every success in the future. I will also be writing to my holiday organiser to let them know that this property deserves to be first on their list of recommended properties in this region. It is always lovely to be surprised and delighted and you managed to do both. Many thanks and all the best to you both.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
OwnerBusiness, Owner at Allt-na-Leven, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Cheryl, greetings all the way to Sydney and just what can we say? Your review is high praise indeed and it made us both feel on cloud nine to read your heartfelt comments about Allt-na-Leven and as such recognising the perfection that both Wullie and myself strive to achieve. Many, many thanks and if you ever manage to make it all of the way across the globe to Kinlochleven again, then we would love you to come back and stay at Allt-na-Leven again. Kindest regards. Pauline & Wullie

Reviewed July 2, 2012

.. and I wasn't disappointed with Allt na Leven. We stayed in B&Bs, hostels and bunkhouses while walking the WHW but this is by far the highest standard of them all - I couldn't believe they let in walkers it is so classy! I would stay here if I wanted a luxury break. Just as well it was our last stop or we would have been sorely disappointed with the rest. It's difficult to say what we liked best. The standard of the decor was the first impact along with the lovely en-suite and toiletries. We had our evening meal there which was fresh home cooked food and an excellent choice on the menu. The breakfast is also the best I have eaten not just in B&B but in any 4 star hotel. The fresh fruit was truly the best in season and I definitely recommend the home made haddock fish cakes with poached eggs. Oh, and don't forget the home made raspberry jam - just like my mum made! And last but not least - Pauline and Willie are just perfect hosts.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Irene, the pleasure was all ours and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Your review is so much appreciated and the comment about the home made raspberry jam - just like your mum made - was such an accolade! Please do come and stay with us at Allt-na-Leven again if you are ever up in Kinlochleven and we will do our very best to make your experience just as perfect! Kind regards. Pauline & Wullie.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for a night whilst walking the west highland way, and this was by far the most comfortable night's sleep. Cannot rate the Allt-na-Leven highly enough. Fantastic, comfortalbe rooms, plenty of tea/coffee/buscuits and toiletries. Breakfast was brilliant.

After staying here, this has changed my mind about B&B's - i'll never stay at a chain hotel ever again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jduguid
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

It was fantastic to read your kind words and learn that we have managed to change your mind about b&bs – fabulous! Thank you for your brilliant comments and for taking the time to submit your review. We do try to offer everything that walkers need from a comfy bed to a hearty breakfast to name but a few! All the very best and please do return. Pauline & Wullie

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This was the first time we stayed in this B & B while walking the West Highland Way. Could not fault it. Was picked up at the Kingshouse which meant that we didn't need to stay there, and were dropped at our accommodation and taken back to the Kingshouse the following morning. Great service from Pauline and Willie - both made us feel so much at home. Pauline's breakfasts were something to behold and will keep you going for the rest of the day - even through to Fort William. Rooms were excellent, no faults whatsoever. Everything you require is in the rooms, even a sewing kit which was used. Ensuite was spectacular and shower was fantastic. In fact the shower was so good I'm going to buy one myself. A big thanks to Pauline and Willie for such a warm welcome and fantastic eats.
p.s. Pauline, remember to tell Willie about those keys, ha, ha!
Jason.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Greetings to the lovely village of Balloch! It was great to have you stay with us and thanks so much for your fantastic comments. Sorry about the keys and thanks for taking it all in such good spirit. We would love to see you again if you are ever back in the area. Cheers the now. Pauline & Wullie

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We gave ourselves a heavy walk from the Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven on the West Highland Way, arriving at Allt-na-Leven, 23 Leven Road, we were met by Pauline and Wullie Byers, we were greeted like family and shown to our room for our nights stay with them. Talk of 5 stars - I would rate this accommodate a Thousand stars - an absolutely fantastic room - decorated to the highest degree - superbly clean - a large and very comfortable bed that gave us a wonderful, wonderful sleep - we were so sorry to leave the next morning to continue our walk. A walk that was comforted by a parting Breakfast - Wullie's claim to fame is his Porridge - it was fantastic and has to be tried by all that stay here - the cooked breakfast was very well served and very clean and sang to you to eat it with all relish - and we did. Both Pauline and Wullie were wonderful host and made you welcome and feel like part of their family.
How one improve on the best I really don't - it was so so fabulous. Thank you.

I highly recommend a stay here and I know I will be back again.

Brian and Joan Finlayson

Room Tip: All Bed and Breakfast accommodation owners should visit Pauline and Wullie to see how it should be d...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Brian & Joan – all we can say is wow! We just received our four star grading from VisitScotland but we will take your thousand stars any day!! It was our pleasure to provide our Highland hospitality and we take our hats off to you for raising all that money for the soldiers’ charity. It is actually your good selves who deserve the thousand stars and we hope that your walk of the Great Glen Way was a success. Wullie says that he hopes that no-one else managed to beat your rating on the porridge though! He is very competitive on the porridge making front!! Kindest regards. Pauline & Wullie

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed here as part of the West Highland Way. We had 3 rooms booked on the 5th night of our 6 night holiday. It was without doubt the best accomodation of the trip. Pauline (owner) is just lovely, the rooms & beds are very comfortable, fantastic shower, brilliant food (we also had dinner which was excellent and great quality) and first class service. Couldn't ask for anymore. If you are going to be in the area you really should stay here, fantastic value. Thanks Pauline, we hope to be back.

Room Tip: All rooms equally as good. One room on ground floor and 3 upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChristineD17
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Hello Christine and greetings to Edinburgh and all of your family! Your comments are high praise indeed and thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review. You can be rest assured that we will offer the same high service if you return to stay at Allt-na-Leven in the future and remember………if you ever want a job……your table setting skills were second to none! All the best. Pauline & Wullie.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed while hiking the West Highland Way. I recommend this B&B highly. I was delighted with our room - extremely comfortable King size bed and a single bed in our room. Several plush towels per person, exquisite toiletries in the lovely ensuite (and such a great shower!). Lovely things to nibble on in our room, as well as coffees, teas, chocolates, etc. We felt very pampered. The breakfast was extremely generous, I could not begin to eat all the delicious food on offer: fresh fruit, yogurt, cold meats, cheeses, fresh juice, full cooked breakfast - delicious. We each bought a packed lunch for 6 pounds, and she could certainly charge more. It was a large lunch and kept us going for the 14 mile hike the following day. I wish we could have stayed longer, it was a lovely B&B,

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice. We were on the top floor, room 4 I think, and we had a good breeze running t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

It was a delight to have such a lovely couple staying with us and thank you so much for your kind praise. We would love to have you staying for longer at Allt-na-Leven so please do make it back across the pond soon! Thanks also to Tom for helping me to carry the bags, it just goes to show that chivalry is still very much alive and kicking!! Warm regards. Pauline & Wullie.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
#4 of 9 in Kinlochleven
Torlinnhe Guest House
Torlinnhe Guest House
#5 of 111 in Fort William

Been to Allt-na-Leven? Share your experiences!