“Idyllic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilfinan
Scotland
“Idyllic”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Kilfinan Hotel several times over the years when the current management have been running the show and each time the experience has been faultless and them, and staff, have been nothing other than friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Have just spent two days at the Kilfinan hotel on a golfing weekend. Retuned to this hotel after attending a fabulous wedding 2 years ago and was surprised to see recent negative reviews.
Our stay this time was as excellent as the last, with the owners being as delightful as they were the first time . The setting is idyllic and the service and food superb. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: stayed in room 1 which was really nice overlooking the loch
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel has the unique ability not only to make guests feel they are being welcomed into a warm Scottish family hearth but to also accompany stylish service with a generous smile.

A family run hotel, Andrew & Helen, Madoline and Verry (spelling?) are natural hosts, cheerful and efficient, creating a charming, relaxed oasis in this truly beautiful part of the world.

With wonderful food and comfortable beds, our party of 14 to stay, and 18 for the celebration meal, from 14 to 16 August, 2013, was everything we could have wished for a very special occasion, thank you, Kilfinan Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
scotland
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is such a beautiful spot, lovely, lovely comfortable rooms, very friendly staff and owners, nothing to much trouble, put my venison shopping in the hotel fridge, find me bus times, no problem. Peace perfect peace, could not be better.

Room Tip: I think the tighnabruach room was great but I suspect non less than good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Kilfinan Hotel. Everything and everybody was great for the whole of our stay. It all started well being greeted by the Jessie and Flo the border collies before we had even reached the Hotel door. The people are cool, the animals are cool, the food is great and the beds and rooms are spotless comfy and lovely. This is a fantastic place to come to a halt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I am very disappointed in the kilfinan hotel and its management. I unfortunately booked my wedding there and was left feeling very upset and hurt by the managers.

Upon arrival, after traveling for a long distance we were told the manager could not see us and to come back later which made us feel very unwelcome.The room where the ceremony was to be held was untidy and undecorated, with food lying at the tables. I was left feeling very disappointed. My family then had to go down and do the room themselves, they also had to swap the room for the reception after the meal with no interest from the management ( even though they had previously agreed that this would be done).

The vegetarian meal was very small portions and guests were finished as some were still waiting on their meal to arrive and it was only 24 adults. The children's meals were inedible.

Our wedding day will never happen again and I am so disappointed that we picked this venue as we were made to feel very unwelcome apart from a couple of members of staff (Madelon, Vahri and Lin) who tried their hardest and were very friendly. The manger never welcomed us or came to see us herself.

To put the icing on the cake, when we simply queried extra charges on the bill this was met with some extremely rude and disrespectful comments to myself and my husband and a refusal to discuss the matter, we were told to return in a couple of days. After her comments and the way she spoke to us we were not prepared to pay any extra. Upon return with 2 family members who work in the hotel industry we were spoken to in a highly unprofessional manner, even though we were in no way irate or disrespectful to her, the manager ended up screaming, insulting and swearing at us! We could not believe it and I have never experienced anything so disrespectful and disgusting in all my life. Definitely need some anger management and lessons in customer service. We will never get our day back and I dread to think what it would have been like had it not been for our fantastic family and friends pulling together.

After reading some of the other comments on here it upsets me that I did not have the same experience at all.
I don't think they should take bookings for more than 10 people at a time as they obviously can not handle it and I definitely hope no else has the misfortune of having their wedding there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Lila M
Blantyre, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 21st of july 2013, the occasion being my sons wedding which was being held at this venue, the food was average with quite small portions served to us, the price of alcoholic drinks was expensive, and to complete the stay my son and his new wife were verbally abused and sworn to by the hotel manager , all they did was to question the billing for several items they were being charged for, I would therefore certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: rooms at rear have a partial sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Jim M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilfinan
The Royal an Lochan
#2 of 3 in Inveraray
Colintraive Hotel
Colintraive Hotel
#1 of 1 in Colintraive

Been to Kilfinan Hotel? Share your experiences!