“Fantastic location and staff - ideal place to propose!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taychreggan Hotel

Taychreggan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kilchrenan
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location and staff - ideal place to propose!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Many thanks again to Fiona and the rest of the staff for a fantastic weekend!

Me and my girlfriend had stayed at Taychreggan last year - she loved it so much and the vibe there is so special, that I chose our return visit this year as the time to propose.

I had a few ideas and requests, so contacted Taychreggan a few weeks before to get things in motion. Right from the go, Fiona was incredibly helpful in listening to my ideas, offering her own tips and thoughts, and walking through the plan with me step by step.

The proposal went to plan (again, thanks to Fiona for playing her part!) and from there the whole stay was fantastic. The hotel itself is a special place with a unique and stunning location by the side of one of Scotland's finest lochs and our room was perfect, with plenty of nice touches.

The 6 course dinner was a real highlight - superb quality throughout, and the waiting staff are always friendly, attentive and knowledge.

I could not recommend the hotel and it's staff highly enough! See you guys again next year...

Room Tip: The master suite is worth the extra cost - huge with a double spa bath!
1 Thank NicholasStavros

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Largs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Really enjoyed our 1 night stay with my wife and friends. It is difficult to beat a stroll lochside on a quiet calm and peaceful morning when the water is still and views outstanding.
We had adjoining suites - Etive and Fyne - which were superb. Loved the novelty and presentation of the tasting menu.

One point to consider - if we were staying more than 1 night, we would want to try the alternative menu (perhaps you should avoid calling it the Bar Menu) However it seems this can only be served at 6pm latest to avoid conflict with kitchen preparing for the full dinner (tasting) menu. It would be nice to enjoy a nice steak, chicken, fish (or similar) dish in the lovely dining room at the more reasonable time of 1930. Offered for management and chef consideration. We will be back !

Room Tip: Junior suites in loch facing rooms are superb !
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a fantastic stay at Taychreggan Hotel - thank you Fiona, David and Ondrej.

The drive up to the hotel is quite stunning. You drive up a windy road through quite beautiful countryside, you then follow the edge of the loch up a lovely drive way - the hotel that meets you has a lovely air of grandeur but also welcoming.

The decor in the rooms is simple but stylish with old world charm, full of antique furniture and heavy draping curtains. We were originally in the room opposite Boswell and that had a love seat looking out over the loch - such a nice touch. On the table infront of it was laid out a little bottle of sherry and two glasses. . Unfortunately we had a little bit of trouble with the shower - so David moved us across the hall into Boswell which was an even more stunning room.

We had dinner at the hotel and I'm so glad we did. As a celiac I tend to find that most restaurants don't do alternative food and when they do it's very much an after thought - not here! I had gluten free canapies that matched if not exceeded the alternative. I had fabulous venison on a gluten free toasted bread. Mmmm.. Ondrej thank you soooooooo much for your delicious homemade gluten free bread (3 different types, each one fabulous!)

The food was exceptional, each course better than the next.. the beef three ways was just wonderful. The meat melted in the mouth.. I can't praise the food highly enough! To make an already lovley meal even better we were seated right at the window over looking the loch.. the views alone will take your breath away.

This was a super hotel, with staff that make it exceptional. It was so romantic and I thank you for a really special weekend.

Room Tip: Boswell had the most amazing views, with windows to two sides of the room giving views over the gard...
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location, at the end of the single track road where it is very quiet and peaceful. The rooms and decor are fresh although the bar could do with being updated. Diners are treated to a lovely loch view and the food is incredible.

I would have given the hotel 5/5 were it not for a few minor points that I hope the management will address.

The service was fantastic - when it arrived. Unfortunately we were left waiting on more than one occasion. The worst example was when it took over 10 minutes to get a jug of water with our lunch. I think the hotel could have done with one more member of staff on duty.

The food is excellent but the choice is extremely limited. In fact, you get what you're given. I have some sympathy with the hotel on this as they want to keep standards up but I really do think you have to give the guests some choice. That said, I didn't leave a scrap of food because what you do get is of the highest quality. The hotel will cater for specific dietary needs but you need to tell them in advance.

There is no wi-fi in the rooms. That's maybe not a bad thing but worth mentioning.

There's a lovely snooker table but the cues didn't have any tips on them! Some people had obviously tried to play despite this which has ruined the cue ball. The snooker table is a wonderful feature so it's a great pity that it hasn't been maintained properly.

Finally, we were charged for a number of phone calls made from the room even though the calls never connected. Not a huge sum of money but still unexpected.

But these are minor points. This is really a wonderful hotel. Well worth 4/5 and would easily get 5/5 if the points above are addressed. It is a calm, peaceful hotel with comfortable furnishings and complimentary sherry in the rooms. What's not to like?

Room Tip: Choose a loch view or ask for the suite.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Anstruther, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

OMG after a slightly hairy drive along a single track road but with ample passing places, then an extra bit where only your car can have the road we came round the corner and it opens up to
amazing views of loch awe.
We were shown up to our room which had superb views out to the Loch and we just sat there and enjoyed a cup of tea.
We did go out for a wander round in between the showers, to find the gardens are kept in immaculate condition, down at the side of the loch there is a small jetty and there is a little boat tied up.
We realised that as you are away from anywhere that dinner in the hotel is a good idea and wow we were not disappointed with it, 5 courses with canapés beforehand whilst enjoying pre=dinner drinks
The bathroom in the room absolutely fab with a lovely big bath that just said fill me up and relax within which is exactly what I did, using the complimentary Molten Brown products.
There were one or two areas of damp but nothing could dampen this stay, so relaxing and peaceful.
We also enjoyed reading up on the history of the place. Breakfast very good and all freshly cooked to order.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Two nights in a Junior Suite at the Taychreggan, with beautiful weather, extremely comfortable surroundings and Dinner, which is an outstanding culinary experience. I could not begin to explain the delights of an evening meal, but you really must enjoy it yourself.
It is wonderful to have a break in a hotel and surroundings which leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed. The staff were extremely attentive at all times and were interested in the guests without being intrusive in any way.
The location is excellent for a break away from the hustle and bustle, but is still within easy driving distance of Oban. On a personal note, it was very pleasant to be away from the constant ringing/buzzing of mobile telephones.
All in all, a marvellous place to refresh yourself from the pace of normal life.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rabdal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

This hotel is fantastic!!! My boyfriend booked this for me as a birthday present and I had a great weekend. We stayed at the Taychreggan in Feb.

The weather was awful but this didn't detract from our stay. The rooms are beautiful, each one unique in its own way, we stayed in a junior suite - The Etive. It was gorgeous, Massive comfortable king size bed - might actually have been super king not sure! And the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom with an amazing roll-top bath, excellent power shower and lovely amenities...

The star of the show has to be the food though. My partner will eat just about anything and loves sea food where as I am not a fish fan. He emailed the hotel in advance to advise this and the chef actually made me my own individual menu!! It even had my name at the top..

I have stayed in 5* hotels all over the world and never experienced this sort of personal service. Not only did they do this but the food was unbelievable, totally unique and presentation second to none. It was suppose to be a 5 course but the chef made little surprises along the way so it actually turned into about a 9 course -all equally delicious! The canapés in the bar were to die for, again they made me individual ones which didn't contain sea food.

There were only us and 3 other couples staying at the hotel that weekend but regardless they pulled out all the stops. The only negative my partner had was that there was no draught beers available.

The surrounding area of the hotel Is lovely, as I said before we had really bad weather the weekend we were there so didn't venture out as much as we would have liked but I am sure It will be gorgeous in the summer months.

All in all, a fantastic hotel, very remote but very romantic. Loved every minute of it and will definitely be back, and also being a travel agent myself I will be recommending this hotel to everyone I meet!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jade2287
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilchrenan
Ardanaiseig Hotel
The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Port Appin

Been to Taychreggan Hotel? Share your experiences!