All reviews junior suite loch awe single track road dining room loch view romantic hotel snooker table course dinner large bathroom four poster bed beautiful location drovers inn main course decanter of sherry hotel grounds peace and quiet the general manager
Reviewed June 1, 2013

First of all I would like to say we came across this hotel searching for wedding venues in Scotland. We live in Sydney Australia however i am Scottish and my new wife is English so we kind of knew what we wanted. So this was always going to be a gamble booking on-line without seeing it.

We put all our trust in pictures we seen and also the lengthy conversations on the phone to Fiona the Manager and David the Assistant Manager. We were quite confident that the Taychreggan Hotel - Taynuilt could deliver and provide us with the day we were looking for. We were not let down at all.

There was great communication from the team with changes we were making and suggestions from Fiona. Bearing in mind we where 9 to 11 hrs in front of the UK but somehow we always managed to speak to Fiona or David to confirm things.(take a day off :p) Fiona sent us spreadsheets weekly with changes to the day that were happening and the costs involved.

We booked out 10 rooms for our guests as it was only a small wedding. Everyone of our guests whether they were staying for 2 nights or 3 could not believe the service that was given from all members of staff and the quality of the rooms. These were ranging from Standard rooms right up to the suite that my wife and I had. (It has a massive jacuzzi which could fit a family but fortunately it was only my wife and I and our wee boy)

So I would like to personally thank all the staff at the hotel who made our wedding day very special. Fiona the manager and David were outstanding on the day as well as the friendly staff. The food was a class above the rest, a 5 course meal that could blow away any of the top chefs in the UK the taste and presentation and that's why they have the well deserved 2 rosettes on their wall from 1999 to date.

The area and the remoteness was outstanding. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone that is looking for a relaxing or romantic weekend away or even to get married in the west coast of Scotland in a serene and peaceful surrounding. The scenery and backdrop this place can offer is second to none.

Thanks again to all of you!!! we had a fantastic and memorable few days and nights!!

AMAZING!!

Yunis, Faye & Mason Lombard

Room tip: I would definitely ask for a loch facing room, beautiful rooms and also the view is great.
1  Thank Yunis L
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Found a postcard of this hotel in my Dad's affairs and he spoke of fishing on Loch Awe.
Was returning to the UK with his ashes and a visit here was part of my journey.
Very beautiful site, even with intermittent rain.
Stables on the postcard now the dining room.
David was kind enough to bring out old registers but I was unable to find my parents/Dad in them.
Food was out of this world and the presentation was amazing - artistry with food.
Comfortable room and bed.
Enjoyed meeting other guests in the bar and lounge after dinner.
Single track road in, would not want to drive this at night.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank 13margm
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Taychreggan during a weekend away. We stayed in one of the suites which was quite big and had a wonderful jacuzzi bathtub. The hotel is located right on Loch Awe and has wonderful views out over the loch. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was delicious and fan. My husband was especially impressed with the vegetarian option. What we really liked the most about this hotel was the friendly atmosphere. There is a small bar where all of the guests seemed to gather at night and we met some lovely people while drinking a great selection of wines. As the hotel is in a fairly remote location, I would especially recommend this hotel for a romantic break.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a loch view.
Date of stay: April 2013
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have just spent two nights at the hotel and really enjoyed ourselves, particularly as the weather turned out to be better than expected!

There are some very good things about this hotel and there are a number of things which, if addressed, could make all the difference to the overall experience.

Firstly, the 7 mile drive along the single track road will be an experience for those who are not used to such, especially as the locals take no prisoners when it comes to their driving. However, when you do arrive at your destination, it's well worth the trip as this old drover's inn is situated right on the lochside and commands some wonderful views over the loch.

The staff are uniformly excellent, particularly in the dining area - obviously as a result of Fiona's hand here. However, it's the food itself which really surprised us - we chose the tasting menu for the first night and all the courses showed imagination and flair. Ondrej and team can pat themselves on the back as we have eaten in some wonderful places around the world and these dishes can stand alongside them. We decided to have the bar meal the following night and, again, the quality of the dish was really high - if I say it was simply chicken with a pork rib, it doesn't sound much, however it was absolutely delicious, and credit to the team for producing our meal, along with the tasting dinners AND a wedding for 20 all at the same time.

Now the the little niggles (which didn't detract from our stay). This place, like a lot of others in rural spots, needs a bit of money spent on it. It's an old building, subject to wear and tear from the elements so, for example, windows need upgraded - we had a lovely room, however, many of the seals had gone which meant internal condensation on quite a few. The front gravel driveway and area in front of the hotel needed weeding, as did the sad planter with dead foliage in it! The water situation mentioned by others is a problem - we had lukewarm showers both days - fine in warmer weather, but frankly horrible at other times. I'm not sure if it's a boiler problem or we were unlucky with our electric shower. Money spent would sort out these items as well as a general upgrading of some soft furnishings. All of these, as I said, didn't detract from our lovely stay and I would certainly recommend this hotel. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Room tip: We had Boswell, Room 1, which is a corner room and gives lovely views of both the side and front of the hotel.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a couple of nights at the Taychreggan Hotel and couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. The location of the hotel is just perfect, only a few yards from the edge of Loch Awe. It is located about 7 miles or so down a mostly single track road. However, don't be put off by that, as the road surface is good, traffic is very light and there are plenty of passing places. We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was spacious and comfortable, with modern en-suite facilities and fantastic views across the loch. The room has coffee/tea making facilities. There is also a small complementary decanter of sherry available, should you wish an aperitif before dinner. The 5 course dinner in the dining room is an absolute joy, preceded by delicious canapés served in the bar. Although the menu offers no choice, it can be changed to suit if there are any particular personal dislikes. The standard of cuisine is top drawer, loaded with creativity and high quality produce. There is also a bar menu for those who prefer less formal dining. Likewise, the standard of breakfast was superb with choices ranging from the full works to something on the lighter side. The staff were young, friendly, very polite, helpful and extremely efficient and hard working. What more can I say - a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay.

Room tip: Choose a Junior Suite with loch view.