“A welcome retreat away from the hustle and bustle”
Review of Taychreggan Hotel

Taychreggan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kilchrenan
Kilmarnock
“A welcome retreat away from the hustle and bustle”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Booked 2 night stay via 5pm vouchers Big Deal. We stayed just a few days after I had an operation and this was just what the doctor ordered.
Room was Junior Suite with fab views of Loch Awe.
We enjoyed the food which was a nice dining experience although I agree with previous reviewer that the set 6 course menu might not be to everyone's taste. On the second night we dined through in the bar/conservatory and again food was excellent but again a limited set menu, which suited us but may not have been to everyone's taste, although I think that variations or requests can be accommodated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EddieReid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had visited this hotel several years ago when it was under different ownership, and have to say that we were disappointed with the new regime. The hotel seemed very tired to us and in need of some tlc. There were damp marks on a number of walls and rotting wood on the (for us) new conservatory area. Staff were pleasant but there seemed to be no-one in overall charge of the place, which on occasion felt like the "Marie Celeste".
The food was very good, but if you wanted to eat in the restaurant it had to be the no choice tasting menu which was a bit pricey.
Our room was good but there were annoying and piercing whistles from the shower every time we used it. Reported to the satff but not a lot of interest shown.
Access to the hotel is via a long single track road which normally isn't too bad, but at the moment there are a couple of wid farms being constructed nearby which means that many large lorries are also using this narrow road, which made us feel unsafe.
On the whole we were disappointed with our stay and won't be going back. We did not go on any special deal and found the overall cost exhorbitant for the value received

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nixon6he
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked on 5pm deal and stayed 1 night. We had a good time and enjoyed the seclusion and stunning scenery.Staff were helpful and friendly from initial booking on phone. We had to rearrange date and no problem. Room - junior suite was comfortable and had stunning views from 2 windows and bathroom. Food was very good though set 6 course menu which might not suit everyone. This has been a good find and we will go back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine H
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Myself and my gf stayed here for a night on Sat 25th Aug through an Itison deal.
The location of this hotel is jaw dropping we stayed in one of the suites and looked out onto Loch Awe. When we got to our room we were gobsmacked at how big the bed was it was huge!! the bathroom was beautifull as well and the view from the table and chairs in the room looking out over the loch were to die for!
We even had complimentary sherry as well!
We went down for dinner later on that evening we had originally been booked for the taster menu. However the gf didnt fancy that (she can be quite fussy at times) and as it was the end of the month I didnt think my wallet would stretch to the £40 (although I am sure that it would have been a bargain)
We instead went for the bar meal which that night was roast beef my GF isnt a big beef eater so I asked if it would be possible to chage the beef for chicken which the kitchen staff were more than happy to do! the food was amazing and the portion size was very impressive.
After dinner we went for a wee wander around the grounds to work off some of the food! then we went to the lounge to relax with a couple of drinks and have a game of snooker on there full size table! before retiring to our room.
the breakfast in the morning was brilliant and the location for it is really nice.
On reading some of the reviews about there concerns on the road down to the hotel I have to say I was expecting a lot worse than I found (yes its not a dual carrigeway) but it is a well looked after small road and is not difficult at all.
The staff were very friendly. We would definatly come back especially if we could find another deal. For us it was a treat as we cant usually afford to stay at 4 star hotels but all in all our stay worked out at about £150 for dinner bed and breakfast and 3 or 4 drinks each, which for the quality of the accomadation, food and overall stay I would say was unbelievable value

Room Tip: If you can book a suite at the fron of the hotel the views are Loch Awe some!!!!!!!
1 Thank wilsysir
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed here June 2012 for a wedding. Wedding was beautiful, as was the food and location. Rooms are nice, but bathrooms need an overhaul. Very small, and had to crouch underneath the 'shower' which was just a sprayhead hooked to the wall. At 5'5, this seems a bit ridiculous.
The bar is not properly staffed, numerous occasions where a staff member was nowhere to be found. On going to bed that night with a long journey home ahead of us in the morning, we realised the staff were having a party just outside our room window. After a while, we called reception - no answer. Checked the info guide, where it states reception only available till 11pm. Fine, so who do you call if you need anything? The night warden, according to the guide. Same number as reception. No answer after trying numerous times.
At around 1am, my husband went down to the staff asking them to keep the noise down. Not what you expect from a hotel of this standard, paying £140 a night.
Breakfast was good, but we were one of the first up. Others in our party didn't fare so well, with long waits and inedible food.
On checkout was the next shock, when we finally found a member of staff available to check us out. Despite signing a document when we arrived stating that we had paid a £100 deposit on booking, we were asked to pay the full £140. This was after we'd told her about the staff party keeping us awake the night before - we got a mumbled apology for this. She stated there was no record of us paying the deposit, and that we couldn't possibly have signed something the day before stating that we had.
Due to no signal at the hotel, I was unable to confirm with my bank, so we had no choice but to pay. The same happened to my brother, so it was not an isolated incident.
The next day, once home, I checked my statements and confirmed that we had paid the deposit. I called and they reimbursed us, but it beggars belief that this could happen in a hotel of any standard!
Unhappy customer, and despite the beautiful settings I won't be returning!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Deemel8
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here recently using a 5pm deal which was given to my wife and I as a gift. The hotel location is fantastic with amazing views of Loch Awe. We had a junior suite which had great views of the loch. The room was great with a large bathroom with both free standing bath and seperate shower. It also had a sink each for my wife and I. No issues with hot water as mentioned by a previous reviewer.

Dinner was excellent and I liked the idea of the set 5 course meal. At reception during check in we asked what was on the menu that evening as my wife is a more fussy eater than myself and the chef changed 2 of the courses to suit my wifes taste. They even produced a personised menu for my wife. Breakfast was also one of the best i've had, the scottish breakfast was superb.

The staff were particularly friendly and helpful and made our stay most enjoyable. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Junior suites are Loch facing where as standard doubles are at the rear of the hotel with no loch vi...
2 Thank Paul M
scotland
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have not always had good experiences with Scottish hotels in this category but this was the best. The setting on Loch Awe is spectacular and on wandering round the gardens we kept on finding new benches to sit on and soak up the views up and down the loch. The tiny harbour area was very sheltered and attractive. And no midges. A ten minute walk uphill on a path behind the hotel led to another bench with great views south down the loch.
The service was impeccable throughout out stay and even asking for pot of tea in the gardens took less than five minutes to arrive. All members of staff were exceptionally friendly and helpfull.
Although there was no choice in the evening meal , we both loved the food and it was served at a perfect pace. All tables have a good view down the loch.
We had a junior suite {boswell} with views of the loch from front and side and was large with a large bathroom with great shower. Decor was slightly tired looking but the space and views and comfort made us easily forget. Tea making facilities were hidden in the wardrobe.
There were several lounges and all very relaxing.
The whole holiday was incredibly relaxing and romantic.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilchrenan
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Taynuilt
Falls Of Lora
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 2 in Connel

Been to Taychreggan Hotel? Share your experiences!