“Great Hotel/Food/Location”
Review of Holly Tree Hotel

Holly Tree Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kentallen
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in the middle of November and can't wait to go back.
This hotel, although small [only 20 rooms], offers residents comfort in well appointed, modern rooms.
It is in a great location, right on the shore of Loch Linnhe at the old pier.
The history of the building may interest some in that it was, in part, the village Railway station; and there are some great photos and memorabilia on the walls outside the restaurant.
There is a great choice on the menu, with something for everyone. The portions are large and the quality superb.
The staff are equally superb. Friendly, always smiling and helpful.
All rooms are Loch facing and some have a small balcony.
Initially I was disappointed that the bar area is set out like a dining area with few seats in which to relax, but that was before I found the lounge area on the other side of the corridor, heated by a log fire, in which to chill after eating.
Didn't get a chance to try out the swimming pool during this stay but it looked good and was well used by other residents.
There are a number of walks within a short drive (Glencoe Lochan in nearby Glencoe village and the walk to the falls at Inchree) and Fort William and Oban are within a 20 min and 45 min drive respectively. And plenty areas in between.
This is a great little hotel and in my opinion provides quality far above its 3 star rating.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

What a welcome from great staff. The food is excellent under the direction of John who's Pecan Pie is sublime. I asked for the recipe and got a few ingredients, I wrote him a note saying that I was Delia Smith and the waitress came back with a smile from the chef. Undeterred and determined to find out the recipe so that I could add it to my cake repertoire, I walked into the kitchen only to be met with great laughter and industry. I duly left with one of the most coveted recipes I've sampled this year.

The seafood is freshly fished from the waters outside the hotel = delish.

The views and facilities are an exquisite bonus to the banter and revere from the team.

It's a must!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LornaPellet
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Have been trying to spend a few days here for a while and we were not disappointed.Perfect setting with beautiful equipped rooms overlooking the Loch.The food was all very good,we ate in the restaurant for two nights and the captains bar for one.The staff we found to be very friendly and extremely helpful.We could not fault anything,overall excellent we were really impressed and had a wonderful break.Thank you.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room on the top floor.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for five days with my parents and my sister and we all absolutely adored our stay. The rooms were cosy and spacious, and had stunning views out of the window over the Loch. The room had a television which had only a few channels available, however, the hotel has an internal DVD rental service with something like 250 different films to watch. It was £10 deposit per film which is excellent.

My highlight of the trip, however, has to be the evening restaurant and the breakfasts. The breakfast are full Scottish breakfasts with these delicious potato scones which I simply couldn't get enough of! For all the evenings we spent in the restaurant, I had the ribeye steak which was absolutely glorious. It was served with a peppery source and a bowl of potatoes and vegetables.
The service is excellent and the staff were charming!

There is free Wi-fi provided however the signal was very week from our room. However, if you sit in the lounge area the signal is much stronger.

Overall, a brilliant little holiday at the Holly tree Hotel and I can't wait to (and I think we will) go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Four of us - two adults, a teenager and a 11 year old - stayed at the Holly Tree Hotel for 5 nights. The hotel exceeded our expectations on all levels. The staff were charming and always 'walked the extra mile' to ensure we were comfortable and well looked after. Thank you to all staff - Donald is the only name I can recall - thank you Donald, you were brilliant!
The food was delicious. There was an excellent choice on offer for breakfasts - I had smoked salmon every morning, what a treat! Lunches and evening meals were of a very high standard - all meals cooked to perfection. The views from our room and from the dining room windows were wonderful, looking straight over Loch Linnhe towards the Ardgour mountains.
Our family room was large, comfortable and well serviced each day. The housekeeper was very helpful.
I made use of the swimming pool every day. It was warm and very clean.
Again thank you to ALL staff - you are an asset to the hotel and we shall be back soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kernowcouple94
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed at the Holly Tree with friends for a couple of nights in September. This was our second visit, their first. It`s a great place - friendly, helpful staff, great location, spectacular views and good food. But why or why do you get instant coffee when you ask for Decaf? In this day and age it`s ridiculous. Call me a coffee snob but instant coffee in a hotel just isn`t right! Come on Holly Tree - if you can make normal filter coffee surely you can make proper Decaf too!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay, booked for dinner bed and breakfast on a classic britain deal, it was great, i have never tasted food like it, as my husband said "fine dining with man size portions" I was surprised we could pick "ANYTHING" form the fantastic menu, usually these deals you are restricted to a few choices. Our room was a good size and spotless, bathroom spotless but in need of a wee bit of painting. We had a room with only window, the views were beatutiful, next time we'll treat ourselves to a balcony, the pool and the sauna were great both times we used it we had it vitually to ourselves.The staff were wonderful nothing was a bother, service was excellent, we stayed in room 7 plenty of hanging space etc. Could think of hanging T.V. on wall in front of bed as like most "Lazy weekenders" wee like to watch some T.V. stretched out after an "AMAZING MEAL" and a few glasses of "VINO".Thanks so much for one of the best weekends we've had in a long time.xx

Room Tip: Room 7 was good,tea ,herbal teas, coffee, hot choc and biscuits provided every day in room, heating...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kentallen
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#3 of 3 in Ballachulish
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Holly Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!