“Great value, gorgeous rooms, fab food”
Review of Holly Tree Hotel

Holly Tree Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kentallen
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have just returned from a short stay in this lovely hotel. Converted from an old railway station, it's not great to look at from outside but once inside was pleasantly surprised.

Beautiful scenery and loch side rooms with balcony. Rooms were big and recently upgraded. Very comfy bed and fabulous bathroom.
Dinner was really nice, generous portions and comfortable, modern restaurant. Very good value for money.
I was we'll impressed and will definitely return. Also has a small pool and sauna but we didn't use them.

Room Tip: Would choose captain room, with balcony
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holly Tree Hotel

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had originally been booked into another B&B in the area however they had an emergency so booked us into Holly tree instead.

We stayed for 3 nights for some sightseeing in the area.

Fantastic views of the loch and the surrounding area. Room was fantastic and the staff very helpful.

Food in the restraunt was top quality and very reasonably priced. Would recommend to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 12, 2013

While I've previously rated this as a gem in the Glencoe area I have to say I will now never ever set my foot here again! I booked a lodge for my family to stay in for a short skiing break. My wee boy took ill the day before and only my daughter and I ended up going. Instead of the lodge we were put in a room in the hotel. At the time I thought it was ok since there was only 2 of us instead of 4 travelling and I assumed the rate would be adjusted accordingly.

The problems started straight away with the tv not working. After long deliberation they somehow fixed it but the signal was so poor it was unwatchable anyway. The WiFi that was supposed to be included in the price didn't work at all in the room and the only answer I got was that the room must be too far away from the booster box. The room got very cold in the night and the only available radiator was some kind of hot air version which looked too dangerous to use during the night.

In the morning I had a quick shower which flooded the bathroom floor completely. In hindsight I should have realised that this was due to poor design of the bathroom but to have a free standing shower with an insufficient drain (possibly half blocked) there was nowhere for the water to go but all over the floor and no tools to mop it up with.

My biggest negative surprise came when we checked out when it turned out that my card had already been charged with the full cost for the lodge that I didn't get to stay in plus additional breakfasts that I didn't eat. The staff flat refused to listen to any of my objections and complaints and just fobbed me off with the excuse that the manager wasn't there.

There are plenty of hotels in the area and I most certainly will never come back to this place. I'm still pursuing refunds for the unathorised charges to my card and only after several attempts and threats of blocking the payment did I receive an itemised invoice. I wouldn't trust this hotel with anything, certainly no special occasions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Harremraik
Reviewed March 9, 2013

An outstanding wee gem of a hotel nestled in amazing surroundings.

Sadly on the day of our arrival the weather was horrendous and we settled in for a relaxing night rather than exploring the surrounding area. The bar and lounge were both cozy and staff very welcoming taking care of us very well.

The next morning it was clearer and the location showed itself off to its full potential with the loch facing bedrooms having a great view over the water.

An excellent little hotel that I'm sure we will back to in the future.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our first visit to the area as a couple and will not be our last. We booked last minute as our pre-booked hotel went into administration. What a wonderful location on the waters edge with breathtaking views. The staff were helpful and pandered to our every need. The room was a good size with an excellent bathroom including separate shower plus stunning views across the loch. All the facilities you need including ample tea & coffee and even hair straighteners in the room. We ate in both the bar and restaurant and found the service to be second to none with the portion sizes huge but wonderful tasting food. The venison and langoustine were unbelievable as was the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs we had for breakfast. An excellent hotel to explore the surrounding areas which we will definitely be visiting again. Highly recommended a first class place.

Room Tip: Although we had a twin room the doubles with balconies would be fantastic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

great wee hotel on the banks of Loch Linnhe, beautiful views of the loch from room, room vey nice, good size tv, could maybe do with more channels, but dvd player in room and dvd library in hotel, so if the weather's bad n you can't see the view then you have something else to look at, the pool is lovely, go early in the morning, I did and had the pool to myself. The captain's bar is reasonable for food, the food is devine, try the smoked haddock chowder, it is amazing, Cannot fault this hotel, maybe because we were so lucky with the weather, wall to wall sunshine in February in Scotland is unheard of, this was my first visit but will certainly not be my last

Room Tip: some rooms have balconys, I think I would have liked to have had one of them to watch the sunset
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've now stayed in this hotel on two separate occasions. Rooms are well presented and well equipped with nice views over the loch. The restaurant has a great menu, highly recommend the seafood options.
The swimming pool is great and was a big hit with our daughter.
On our second visit my wife unexpectedly took I'll. The staff were first class and showed real character without going into too much detail we had to call an ambulance, while waiting on the ambulance the staff were great with my daughter while I helped my wife. They couldnt do enough for us. First class all round.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kentallen
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in Onich
Loch Leven Hotel
Loch Leven Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish

Been to Holly Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!