“Lovely food and lovely venue”

The Holly Tree Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Kentallen
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Rothley
“Lovely food and lovely venue”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We have almost completed our weeks stay in Duror, self catering, but decided to have a meal out as our end of vacation treat. Having read several reviews of local places, we thought we'd give the Holly Tree restaurant a try. We weren't disappointed. I've just had a delicious home made steak and ale pie here. Plenty of vegetables and a nice pint of beer, with a fantastic loch view to. The meal was hot and tasty with a serving fit for two people, but I still managed to get it down me and start on my wife's tasty haddock and chips.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank BarryIngram

“Food was good, view much better”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I'm giving this restaurant an "excellent" rating mostly for the location and the view onto Loch Linnhe, which is beautiful. We got a seat next to the window which was perfect. The food was pretty good, but not the absolute best I've ever had. I ordered the smoked fish chowder as a starter, which was truly delicious. The mussel main dish was enormous & the mussels were fresh, but the cream sauce was not the most flavorful I've had. My partner got a steak which came with a pepper sauce - he said the meat was high quality, but the sauce was extremely peppery (probably too peppery for most people to enjoy). For dessert, we split a pecan pie, which was delicious. If you stay in one of the local B&Bs, you get 10% off the total bill.

• Visited June 2014
Bristol
“Average meal”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Visited this place on recommendation for evening meal during our honeymoon.
Food was ok, large crab starter that lacked taste, as did my main course of salmon.
My husband's meal was pretty average to which I would expect more than that for a fillet steak.
Young giggly waitresses serving tables hmmm I think the best thing about this place was the view......which costs nothing actually

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Good food, not so much on the service”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We stopped by for a bite on the road, and were a little taken aback to be told we were welcome to look for a McDonald's if we were in a hurry. We were in the midst of a 6 hour drive, and simply wondered if it would be quicker to eat in their larger or smaller venue. We found the response a bit rude and biting, but assumed it was meant as a joke, as we had politely explained our lack of luxury time to lounge the evening away.

We suspected later it wasn't a joke, but some kind of disdain, when they left us sitting for a good 20 minutes after our meal had been cleared until we finally had to go searching for someone to pay. They were unbusy, to be diplomatic, and the manner in which we were ignored felt distinctly intentional.

The food was good, but this is no polite way to treat weary guests. Had we been loud or obnoxious, or arrogant and rude, perhaps we could have merited the treatment, but we were polite from the start and felt scorned simply for being American. Nowhere else in Scotland did I ever get this sense, so I give three stars here for what I hope was just an off night.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great food and staff”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

While staying in one of the self catering properties across the road from the Holly Tree, we had a lovely family meal here. The best haggis neeps and tatties I have ever eaten! If you eat here, you do not have to pay to use the swimming pool, so great for kids. They have a special kids menu, and were treated really well. Nice choice and good seafood, all enhanced by the wonderful views of Loch Linnhe. The staff were all very pleasant.

• Visited May 2014