“Great food, lovely location”
Review of Dunvalanree

Dunvalanree
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Carradale
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The dinner menu at Dunvalanree changes every day but as a founder member of the Sea Food Trail, will include 50% sea food. Dine on Seared Sanda scallops on samphire with preserved lemon, or choose Crispy crab cakes on salad leaves with (home made) chilli relish or .... The other 50% includes local lamb from Ifferdale or beef from Mull or local cheeses or .... For dessert try the cheesecake - described by one diner as THE dessert at the end of the rainbow, or the lemon posit or the cranachan or .... Fully licensed serving local beers and whisky as well as wine from across the world.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We turned up without a reservation looking for a evening meal. Normally advance notice is required, but we were accomodated with humour. There was a good selection of meals to suit normal and vegetarian options. Dinner is a formal occasion where everyone meets in the small lounge for pre dinner drinks and are taken through together. It was actually nice to chat with fellow travellers. The food was excellent and the dinner very enjoyable.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Wednesday 19th June 2013. Moored our boat to one of the new Visitor Moorings just outside Carradale Harbour, rowed ashore to explore the village and find a place for dinner that evening. The Green Room was closed and the Carradale Hotel looked a little scruffy. The Ashbank Hotel looked to be a possibility but we continued walking and found a sign directing us to Dunvalanree. A half mile walk brought us to a beautiful bay overlooked by Dunvalanree. Inside I found Alan and made a reservation for 7pm (there is just one "sitting"). Back to the boat for a quick change.

7pm Pre-dinner drinks in the sitting room, menu and wine list. Only 6 of us dining tonight. Just before 8pm shown into the dining room where we were all served a small bowl of mushroom and cummin soup, delicious. My wife and I had both chosen crab cakes for starters followed by monkfish with ginger and garlic for main course. Both dishes were well presented and, again, delicious. Desserts were also excellent. Coffee was served in the sitting room.

Alan is a very chatty and affable host who makes everyone welcome. He even drove us back to the Harbour (twice in fact as I had left my hat in the hotel).

We will visit again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Popped in for tea and scones and were greeted by the owner who advised she didn't have scones but if we could wait she'd make them fresh, who could decline the temptation of fresh made scones and we weren't disappointed. Our group of 8 were served up with hot scones (2 each) with tea and coffee for a mere £3 a head, highly recommend this. Plus the extra welcome from the two gorgeous dogs who live up at the hotel make a visit all the more worthwhile.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived on speck looking for an evening meal to be met by Alan in the garden. He checked to see if they could fit us in as they normally only do pre- bookings .No problem and we had a drink while we waited. We dined with another 12 guests and the food was excellent. Hot, fresh and plentiful. The presentation was superb and the surprise wild garlic soup excellent.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the Carradale area if travelling around the Kintyre Peninsula.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited here for a meal for my boyfriends birthday while staying at nearby self catering accommodation....this proved to be our undoing.
On arrival at the hotel ,which is situated dramatically overlooking Carradale Bay, we entered to be met by Alan the owner. First issue was when we asked for a beer before dinner. His somewhat flippant reply unsettled us slightly: wel wee dont normally sell lager but I might have a few cans lying around somewhere.
Anyway, 2 extremely expensive lukewarm cans of Stella Artois later, we were escorted through to the dinning room. It is very informal, and the decor was reminiscent of a shortbread tin, not my cup of tea, but perhaps appealing to the older foreigners idea of a 'traditional' Scottish hostelry. The room was also noticeably cold.
We were dinning this evening with only one other couple as it was out of season when we visited but they wre from Ayrshire, (my home area) so no problems there.
Menus handed out, they food, on paper looked great.
I went for the Cullen Skink (scottish fish soup) which was great however my other half went for the Portobello mushrooms served with poached egg. This turned out to be a single poached egg draped over two open cap mushrooms....a bit odd in my experience as normally when served like this I would expect quails egg in each mushroom....regardless it was nice.
Then the main course:
I had pan fried turbot which again was cooked to perfection however my other half went for duck breast. These were sent out 'blue' i.e read RAW. Now I know that this is how chefs would like us to eat our steaks and meat but surely the first thing that anyone in the trade should be asking is 'how do you want your duck'?
As it happens my missus likes it extra well done, but as she is a nice person was too embarrassed to ask for them to be re cooked and just soldiered on.
Now, in between the starter and the main course, 'Alan decided to come and sit with us and the other couple and play the 'bon homme'. His interpretation of being a restauranteur was to sit between both tables, WITH HIS BACK TURNED TO US, and proceed to wax lyrical about the local Kintyre and Islay malt whiskeys. Now, I am a bit of a whiskey man myself and when I tried to interject, he incredibly shot me a disparaging glance over his shoulder and made a snidey comment to the effect that as a young Glasgow guy I didnt know what I was talking about....not impressed! He continued the rest of the conversation through the majority of the main meal STILL with his back turned to us and barely engaged us once, preferring to talk to the older couple opposite.
At this point we both had enough of the fairly cold room, mediocre food and incredible rudeness and pomposity of the man and decided to head back to village for a few ales.
Upon telling our friends in the village about our experience,the common consensus was that it was a normal experience.
Perhaps we caught him on an 'off' night,maybe it was because my missus was wearing a short skirt and has blonde hair and big breasts or maybe that we both have 'working class' Glasgow accents but the guys attitude stinks and more or less made me think 'we dont really want your type round here'.
80 quid wasted on a mediocre meal, unremarkable food and a host that must've been trained at the Hermann Goring school of manners.
Here's a wee tip for you 'Alan'....NEVER judge a book by its cover, as you so clearly did that night.
AVOID in my opinion!!!!