“Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 2 Oldmeldrum B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We chose Meldrum House for our wedding reception as it was close to Fyvie Castle, the ceremony venue. We really couldn't have picked a more perfect setting.

Throughout the planning process, the hotel and Lucy, their events coordinator, were helpful, understanding and accommodating. We booked several rooms for the night prior to the wedding, almost the entire hotel for the night of our wedding an my husband and I stayed one more night after. We could find nothing to criticise at any point, nor could put guests.

The staff were incredibly helpful. I called at 11pm the night before the wedding as I suddenly decided I wanted the marquee to have fairly lights. Did I really expect it to happen at such short notice? No but I hoped! I arrived the following day for the reception to find not only fairly lights but up lighters with colour filters to match the flowers. It was perfect!

Peter, the manager, was on duty the day of our wedding and nothing seemed too much trouble for him or his staff, all of whom were helpful and attentive.

I really can't praise the hotel highly enough. Thank you all

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but we loved the ones in the main house.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Peter_Walker, General Manager at Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Hi

Thank you so much for such a positive review, and indeed for the personal mentions.

As you will be aware, there is a tremendous amount of hard work has gone in to making Meldrum what it is today, and i am lucky that i have an exceptionally committed team of people around me to drive things forward and look after people properly.

I am glad that your experience was so positive, and i thank you for choosing us to be part of such a significant event in your life. No problem re the Fairy Lights, trust me, thats nothing compared to some of the requests we get, but am glad it added to your day.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Cardiff
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Monday 19th August, first night of Scotland visit with my partner.

Arrived unannounced late afternoon looking for accommodation outside Aberdeen; I used to travel frequently to Old Meldrum an adore the area.

Staff were friendly and fantastic, room was luxury all the way and the whole experience was without question superb.

We dined in the restaurant and again could not be faulted. Breakfast was excellent, well presented and caters for all tastes.

Grounds and hotel superb, even have their own highland cows.

To summarise - fantastic experience...

• Stayed August 2013
Hi

Thank you so much for your kind words here on Trip Advisor - they are greatly appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience of Meldrum House, and i do hope that i get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Hotel General Manager

P.S - the highland cows are an added bonus.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Decided to whisk hubby away for his birthday as a surprise - it has been a couple of years since we visited and we were not disappointed..by sheer fluke we had booked "the Lairds suite" - stunning... very comfortable spacious, beautiful suite- double Jacuzzi bath and all the little extras.
Lunch in the Cave bar with Prosecco, stroll in the stunning grounds on a beautiful sunday afternoon and all 30 mins from home.. just heaven - beautiful dinner, fab wine and far too much port and Baileys- could not have faulted any of it - Well done Mr Walker & team

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter_Walker, General Manager at Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for your kind words here on Trip Advisor, they are much appreciated.

Indeed, you can feel a world away, yet be close to home, and am glad that you enjoyed your experience of Meldrum House, and that you were looked after so well.

Please do keep an eye on our website for more special offers that may entice you back, or indeed, last minute deals may "pop-up" on our facebook page, facebook.com/meldrumhouse.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager
Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Fundamentally this is an excellent hotel. It is a beautiful building in a beautiful setting and very well furnished and equipped. it has one long-standing problem and one current and, I hope, temporary one. The long standing one is that there is an enormous and hideous permanent tent for weddings on the wrong face of the house. it is immediately outside the sitting room and the dining room so they have zero view and also all the best bedrooms so their view is marred and the noise levels high when there is a function. There is ample space to put this monstrocity outside the end wall of the house next to the original drawing room where the receptions take place anyway. if you are going to stay check if there is a wedding and if so stay in the stables and not in the house. the best rooms are in the house but the stable rooms are excellent and the bathrooms better than those in the house.
Having said that the dinner we had was really delicious and the staff are universally warm and welcoming.
the temporary, but unforgivable, problem in a hotel at this price was that the breakfast was simply dreadful. my wife of 37 years sent her scrambled eggs back, the first timr i have ever seen her actually unable to eat what she was served, my fried eggs were rubbery and barely edible (i have no idea how that is achieved) the mushroom was swimming in water the bacon which had excellent flavour had been turned into tasty leather and the toast, both brown and white had the texture and taste of balsa wood.
Come on Meldrum, This is my favorite hotel in the North East of Scotland but at these prices you have to get breakfast right!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main house on wedding nights or other big events. The stables are excellent but t...
1 Thank John L
Hi

Many thanks for your generally positive feedback on this public social media platform.

I understand your thoughts and comments regarding the marquee, however, we do indeed, have planning permission for this, and the long term desire is to build a permanent Ballroom facility, it is just the timescales that need to be decided, and infact, there is no other operationally beneficial place to place the marquee.

At this point, i would like to point out that the view from the Drawing Room is definately not masked by the marquee, and the main dining room windows are also not blocked in anyway. Granted the one window in the back dining room does not have a view, but there is plenty daylight managing to get in.

We do try to be pro-active when we have guests booking accommodation in the House when we have a wedding on, and we advise them appropriately, to consider the Stables - but it is undoubtably the guests choice.

Regarding breakfast, both myself and my Head Chef were fully aware we had an issue, before your review was published, and I can assure you that steps and measures have been undertaken and put in place to ensure that we have no further issues on breakfast. In my eyes, this is one of the most important elements of a hotel experience, as its the last thing you have before departure, and we are determined and focussed on all aspects of our service, to ensure that we get it right.

I appreciate your comments, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel was full of character, each room is different and very nicely finished and all to a high standard.
All food was a disappointment. Breakfast was too salty (porridge, omelet, fried) and dinner was dry and either tasteless or salty, potatoes too hard and veg over cooked.
We had a room at a reduced rate and I still don't think it was worth it. If they changed the chef and took £50 off the room rates I would go back.

• Stayed August 2013
Peter_Walker, General Manager at Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for your constructive feedback here on Trip Advisor - its much appreciated.

Apologies that you found our room rates rather expensive, however, given the level of investment recently, and the quality of the finish in our rooms, we do believe that we sell our rooms at a reasonable price within the market place - indeed, there are hotel rooms in our area that do not match our quality that are sold for alot more.

Regarding your comments on our food offering, again, apologies that you had these issues. We are more than happy to take constructive criticism when necessary, and do so from your feedback, however, both Walter our Head chef and I would of been more than happy to discuss this with you on check-out so we could come to a solution and you felt your points were taken on board personally, as opposed to us finding out about them on the world wide web.

The Team here look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, when we can hopefully start to re-build your confidence in us, and the offering we provide.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here one night as part of a wedding party. I can honestly say the food, both at the wedding itself and our breakfast in the morning, was the best I've ever had in a hotel of this kind. The black pudding was especially yummy! The staff were warm and friendly. We were housed in the main building of the hotel and had a gorgeous room, complete with it's own turret! It was spacious, clean and comfortable. The only downside was that the shower in our room wasn't very powerful and as it was over the bath it could have had a bath mat - as I slipped over and fortunately didn't hurt myself. Overall, a great place to stay though and I'd definitely recommend to friends, especially those looking to get married in the Aberdeen area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter_Walker, General Manager at Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for your kind feedback here on Trip Advisor - its much appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Meldrum experience - and that you found my team so welcoming and efficient.

Apologies for the lack of bath mat, I will talk to our Head Housekeeper, as it is a standard that these are included for our rooms.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We have two very young children including a baby of 8 months and have not had a full night's sleep for over 9months. We are both exhausted and so booked two nights at Meldrum House to get some time away, a break and most importantly some sleep!

The hotel is stunning, we were in a superior room in the main house which was beautiful, 4 poster bed, lovely views. I was thrilled when we arrived! We chose to eat at Eat on the Green the first night (v good) and have dinner in Meldrum house restaurant the second night. The meal we had at Meldrum house was one of the best meals we have ever had, it was exceptional. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant and I loved the open roaring fires throughout the house.

The only negative I have is that on the first night I was kept awake until 1am as our room (room 5) was above the lounge and the group of people In the lounge were quite loud. This was a bit frustrating as I was longing to get to sleep. I didn't want to be a kill joy as they were just having a good night themselves and so didn't complain. The second night however there was a wedding on in the marquee outside. I remarked to my husband that I hoped we didn't have a disturbed night again as it was our last night and therefore final chance for good night sleep! Unfortunately the wedding was very loud and many guests ended up in lounge under our room shouting and singing. At 2.30am I was STILL awake with the racket and furious so called reception and they were very apologetic and said they would ask them to quieten down. It was past 3am before it quietend and I was left awake till 4.30am as I was so wound up at being kept awake. This was a shame as the stay would have been perfect otherwise but I left feeling shattered instead of restored. I wish the hotel had advised us of the wedding as we paid extra to be upgraded to the superior room from the stables and I wished we had stayed in the stables where it would have been far quieter.

I would still recommend this hotel to anyone and would not let my experience deter others as we were just unlucky with the time we visited and the fact we were so in need of getting sleep! The average person would probably not consider this such a big deal (assuming they don't have a baby at home who keeps them up all night!).

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi

Many thanks for your constructive thoughts following your recent time with us.

First of all, im delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience, and that you found my team to be so friendly and efficient, I am very lucky to have such good people working here at Meldrum.

I am personally, and genuinely sorry for the disturbance you experienced to due the rowdiness of other guests. Am glad the the night staff handled your initial complaint well, but genuinely sorry you didnt leave as fress as you had hoped. We do try and advise non wedding guests that book old house rooms, that there may be some noise, and apologies again if you were not advised appropriately.

I do hope that i get the chance to welcome you back, in the not to distant future, and perhaps the stables would be more suitable, especially at a weekend.

Hotel General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldmeldrum
Thainstone House
The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Tor-na-Coille
Tor-na-Coille
#2 of 3 in Banchory

Been to Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!