“Perfect wedding location with true Scottish character”

Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 2 Oldmeldrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our son and daughter in law chose the hotel for their wedding reception. Just over 20 of our family stayed for 3 nights for the wedding and all had a fantastic time.
Relatives with younger children and a dog stayed in the lodge which was ideal for the family but it is basic relative to the other accommodation. We had a party in the lodge one night which was just a great family opportunity rather than all meeting in a restaurant.

We stayed in a room in the main house which had a great view, complimentary single malt from the local distillery and a four poster bed with lots of other furnishings of character.

The gents played golf as part of the stag events and the course was fantastic. We also toured the distillery in the village which was very entertaining thanks to the guide.

The wedding reception was held in a marquee which was very nice and the food was very good but small portions.

Couldn't think of a better venue around Aberdeen for a Wedding, golf weekend or relaxing country stay.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Having recently attended a wedding at Meldrum House we were pleasantly surprised by the exterior and location. We are due to get married next year and went there with a view to looking at prospective venues for the up and coming event.
Reception was held in the marquee which was adequate but I would have thought that a function suite as part of the original building would have been better given the number of weddings held there.
Only negative was one of the bar staff being extremely unpleasant and ignorant, and the so called "bar manager" whom we complained to didn’t look old enough to drink let alone manage people. The bar appeared to be run by a bunch of ill mannered kids. With that in mind we will certainly not be holding our own wedding there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank cosmogirlUk
Peter_Walker, General Manager at Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Good afternoon

It is with regret that I read your review, and rest assured this matter will be investigated internally.

I apologise for the apparent poor service that you received, as there has been alot of time and effort invested into Meldrum House over recent years, not to mention the amount of time that we put into training and developing our people - which would appear to be apparent from previous reviews left, and personal views on the apparent age of Management, i feel, are irrelevant, as it is someones capabilities and professionalism that matter.

I am disappointed that you felt we were not suitable for your own wedding, and I wish you well for your big day when it comes, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Meldrum in the future.

Kind regards

Peter Walker
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed December 3, 2011

We were married at Meldrum House in July (very slow at reviewing!) and had an unbelievably perfect stay. Everything was catered for, from all of our specific decoration requests, to dealing with our suppliers, providing beautiful food and fantastic service. The rooms were all fantastic, and we loved the honeymoon suite which was very tastefully decorated.

We could go on but to avoid gushing, if you're looking for top class service, rooms and food - you'd be hard pushed to beat staying here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank eight7eleven
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Attended a wedding here on 11th November and could not fault the food. It was excellent. Stayed the night in the hotel and asked if we could get in to our room at half past twelve as we were travelling up from Glasgow and wanted to shower and change and they got back to us straight away and said they would have the room ready for us. When we went back to our room after the wedding bed was turned down and blind and curtains drawn with bottle of water at the bedside (nice touch). Left a note in our room to say breakfast was busy from 9.45 onwards so went down at 9.20 and had a nice leisurely breakfast. Good choice and very good. Staff from reception to waiting staff all very pleasant. An all round high quality hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ivyforest
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We did not actually stay in the hotel, but had to pay a visit! My traveling companion is a 'Meldrum' and her ancestors built the original house so we had to stop by to see it.

I must say that I was very impressed! As you drive up through the grounds one is struck by the immaculate nature of the grounds. The Hotel itself, although described as a 'manor house', has a very 'castle-ly' feel to it. The lobby itself is grand and we were greeted by the receptionist with great courtesy. Even the maintainance man who happened to be in the lobby went out of his way to make us feel comfortable by throwing an extra log on the fire (yes, a REAL fire) and inviting us to sit down before it in the wonderful overstuffed chairs. We were invited to wander around at our leisure to view the interior of the main house. After that the young lady at reception gave us some historical and geneology information for us to keep. Such courtesy is rare and hard to beat!

The Dining Room gorgeous and the Sitting Room esquisite. The small intimate bar was off to the side in it's own unique niche of hewn rock. Portraits and Landscapes abound and Luxury definately prevails.

When I was planning my trip to Scotland I had considered staying here, but had been a little leery of the prices @ £180/night for 2. Then after staying in another property on Skye for about the same price range and now having seen Meldrum House I find myself thinking differently. And I'm a hard man to impress!

If I come to Scotland again I will definately make the big splurge ... at least 4 nights in the main house! (And I don't even play golf! LOL)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I had originally booked a two night stay in a stables room on 13 and 14 September on the hotel's summer sizzler offer (great value) but on the morning of 12th September rang the hotel to ask if we could bring our stay forward by a day. No problem but they could only offer a room in the main house. I was a bit concerned as the stable rooms looked gorgeous on the website but not disappointed at all as the room we were allocated (No 4) was wonderful. Immaculately clean, large (but cosy), supremely comfortable and beautifully decorated.

We ate in the restaurant on the first evening (we were meeting relatives on the second) and the food was amazing - my salad starter was like nothing I had ever seen (or tasted) before. It was a complete work of art.

The staff were exceedingly pleasant and helpful throughout our stay though service at breakfast didn't match the service during dinner (staff were quite young and need to smile and interact with the guests more). I am really quite picky and have to say that the only disappointing thing was the weather - torrential rain - which prevented us playing golf on what looked like a great course. For those ladies who don't play golf, the hotel doesn't have a spa but can recommend places nearby for pampering and I believe can arrange for people to come to the hotel to give treatments.

We're definitely planning on going back.

Room Tip: I doubt if you'd be disappointed in any of the rooms as the quality throughout is fabulous. If...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan C
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed at the hotel in September 2011.What a wonderful hotel.!Lovely room.Dinner was amazing...lovely menu with correct amount of choice..served by such excellent staff..So attentive yet not at all intrusive.We had a slight problem with the room (not worth detailing) but reception and manager dealt with extremely well.
The turn down service is a very neat touch and was very much appreciated.
Breakfast was also excellent with again plenty of choice.
What can I say...Great hotel..well done Manager and all staff...Many thanks..

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above reception and entrance.A touch more noisy due to their location.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SKENEBEAN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldmeldrum
Thainstone House
Saplinbrae Hotel & Lodges
Macdonald Hotels
Macdonald Hotels
#25 of 65 in Aberdeen

Been to Meldrum House Country Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!