“Spot on fish and chips”

Cuisines: Seafood
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Spot on fish and chips”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I visited for a take-away and thought it so good, I went back with some friends to the restaurant.

I had standard-sized haddock supper with mushy peas, and noticed the crispness of the haddock batter and the chips - they clearly use beef dripping - vegetarians take note. This meant a crispness to both the fish and the chips that is missing from virtually all other chippers in the region. They got the fish spot on - cooked through yet soft in texture, while the batter was crisp all the way through. Sounds simple, yet I suspect it isn't that easy to get it right.

The restaurant was great value when I returned with friends. A limited choice, but the options were great, especially the starters. Everything was well prepared, presented and cooked (e.g. seared scallops; king prawn and smoked salmon cocktail; whitebait with roasted cherry tomatoes).

If there were a criticism, the restaurant was quiet - a few more people on a Saturday night would have helped.

I hate to say this. We are spoiled for chippers in the North-East - Ashvale, Bervie, Zanres, Mintlaw etc. I think the Ythan Place is better than all of these.

Opening times are currently Weds - Sunday 4pm onwards, and the restaurant section opens Friday - Sunday.

• Visited September 2012