“Sunny suite and fancy food”
Review of Pool House

Pool House
Ranked #1 of 7 Poolewe B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Beautifully situated on the seafront at Poolewe. Our suite had an enormous sitting room with balcony overlooking the bay. The bedroom was a little on the small side and completely taken up by the bed. Huge bathroom with clawfoot bath. We disregarded stupid rule about not taking drink into one's room! Slightly bizarre decor in the dining room. Stunningly good food. (You have to be downstairs at 19h00 in order to be seated at 19h30... We were late once and almost 'missed' a course or two.)

Room Tip: SMS Scharnhorst Suite
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NyonZmac
There are newer reviews for Pool House

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This place is the bee`s knee`s.
Simple, Beautiful & well decorated. Each suite is individual and special.
We stayed in the Whimbrel suite over Valentines weekend. It such romantic surroundings with all the glens/munros & wildlife.
I think many big hotels could take a few leafs out of pool house books on how to achieve greatness.
The dining was immense, you must allow for weight gain while staying staying. Pack some big clothing!!
Our suite had the little jacuzzi around the side of the hotel, We sat in it in the rain in true scottish form.
I cannot wait to go back and visit. Hopefully to spot an otter!!

Room Tip: Go for the Whimbrel & brave the jacuzzi in Scottish Winter!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimpyA
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband booked two nights in HMS Nairana. The room definitely had the wow factor. However, the bed was the uncomfiest I've ever slept in! The mattress was like a trampoline and every time my husband moved I almost bounced off the bed. I also found it hard to believe it was King Size. The room was also very expensive and other rooms offer much more value for money.
I read some of the reviews on Trip advisor and was slightly anxious about the dining set up; when away for a break I really can't be bothered talking to anyone except my husband. Much to my relief we didn't have to, as although guests are served at the same time, they are seated seperately.
All in all, I have to say that this is a lovely and really rather special place to stay. The staff are very friendly and more than happy to chat and offer advice on things to do locally, but don't engage you in conversation unless invited. The gentleman who serves the meals is one of the best waiters we've ever had. Tea and cake served in the lounge overlooking the water was a particular highlight of our stay. Food was excellent, if rather pricey. We booked dinner for both nights, but if I'd known the local restaurants and hotels were so good I'd have only dined at the Pool House for one of the nights, just to see somewhere different.
The room was made up every time we left it! They must have been hiding in the corridor waiting for us to leave the room as by the time we returned from breakfast it had been serviced! Also, after dinner, the very same thing.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: The Nairana was a real treat, but other rooms are just as special and offer greater value for money.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nilequeen_13
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Managers and would-be owners of (ex-) Von Essen hotels, listen up! These guys, despite apparently being technically a guesthouse and not a hotel, provide the definitive luxury country house hotel experience. In my experience, this is the benchmark.

Pool House has an extraordinary Tardis-like quality. Unremarkable from the outside, the extraordinary decor inside manages to be striking, unique, beautiful, idiosyncratic, yet charming and instantly comfortable. The service is the perfect blend of attentiveness, professionalism and personal warmth (I guess their secret of consistently delivering this level of service may be that they're a family business). The dinner provides the kind of astounding, gobsmacking sensory experience more usually recognised with Michelin stars, with a wine list to match. The views from the windows over Loch Ewe are somehow more beautiful than from outside, as if a landscape photographer supervised the precise positioning of the windows. The suites, if HMS Bramble is typical, are beautifully and uniquely designed and decorated, and extremely spacious. HMS Bramble lacks a terrace, but with its pale white and blue decor, is filled with beautiful soft light reflected off the surface of the loch (and anyway, we're not sure we'd enjoy a terrace in midgie season). The suite was perfect in every detail - and all at less than half the price of the same size and quality of suite in southern England.

We booked our return visit on the day we reluctantly departed.

Room Tip: HMS Bramble suite lacks a terrace, but more than makes up for it filled with the beautiful soft ligh...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I desided to take my girlfriend (now fiancee) away on a romantic break, I looked for somewhere that would have the wow factor. I was so nervous as i had only seen the pool house on pictures, After arrival we were greeted by one of Peters daughters, this family run peice of tranquil heaven was such a delight to experience. We staid in the boat house which was seperated from the main house and looked directly on to Loch ewe, the room was gracious, well thought out and cosy, the bathroom was stylish, classy and had a bath for 2, the outside hot tub was great for a relaxing, romantic night. We had some drinks and a few games of snooker whilst hearing some great stories from Peter the owner, what an informative man who has over 50 years experience in creating the perfect romantic getaway. I wanted to pick something that was special for my girlfriends birthday, it was so special that I proposed outside the boathouse on the banks of the Ewe so my girlfriend is now my Fiancee and we will definately be returning.

Its hard to pick any fault in the hotel, the only negative was there isn't anywhere to eat in the local area although we did go to Gairloch which was 6 miles away, the food was good but only have a short time to book a table.

Peter thank you and your family for your hospitality and thank you for your friendly approach, your years of experience reflect in the way people feel at ease around you.

Scott & Donna Hall

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Set where the river Ewe flows into Loch Ewe, the hotel is beautifully placed at the waterfront. Traditional Highland way of operating - dinner is at 7.30 and the menu is fixed (but it's easy to let them know anything you don't like and they alter your meal) as is the way in so many relatively remote highland lodges, but the menus were varied and the food superbly prepared and presented. Great wine list as well!
Decor is quite traditional, but the Boathouse has a funky bathroom and a strange mix of traditional decor and the "clean" decor of a boathouse. It also has a hot tub on the deck outside overlooking the loch and river and a table and bench chair for relaxing.
The place is run to high standards like the best hotels (the price is reasonably expensive for the region but overall worth it) but is a family affair, you literally are staying in a (luxury) home.
The house has a great bar and billiard room for post-dinner conversation and the atmosphere encourages socialising with fellow guests, although you do eat dinner in smaller parties.
Plenty of good walks and beaches nearby, it's a fantastic place in one of the great parts of the world.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Family run hotel with lots of attention for the clients, excellent food served. Father Peter is an absolute angel. It was a privilege to have met him and to have stayed at the hotel. Location really feet away from the sea. very quiet at night. A real treat if you stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poolewe
Poolewe Hotel
Aultbea Hotel
Aultbea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Aultbea
The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Pool House? Share your experiences!