“Sadly lacking in hospitality”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kinlochbervie
Kinlochbervie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochbervie
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Ate here as part of a large party, most of whom were staying in the hotel. A relic of the 80's, with mismatched furnishings in the lounge, reminiscent of an Alex Polizzi's TV show castoffs, the hotel has huge potential, being sited in one of the most picturesque parts of Scotland. But the staff/owners need a serious lesson in hospitality. When some of our party checked into their rooms, on a very cold March night, the rooms were unheated and unwelcoming. I arrived late afternoon, looking for a cup of coffee and was met by a yawning member of staff/owner? I asked for a cup of tea and she grunted and walked off to the kitchen. Tea arrived, fine enough. When deciding our menu choices we all obviously decided to go for haddock, Kinlochbervie being one of the largest fishing ports in the North of Scotland the hotel overlooks the harbour. The waitress happened to be passing us as we all decided on fish and she then gaily laughed " Oh theres no fish" over her shoulder at us... Disappointment. Food ordered when it came, was ok and the young waitress was very pleasant and helpful.
If this is the best that Scotland can offer in terms of Highland Hospitality then I despair......

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Scotty010
KLBHotel, Owner at Kinlochbervie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

A lesson in manners would be first requirement in hospitality.The expression TEA and waving a room key around is not deserving of helpful service.The rooms were heated and there's always the option of turning the radiator valve up.None of the party said anything about being cold and if the had they would havebeen offered an additional heater.
The fish myth!.We sell locally caught fresh Haddock and other species.At times due weather ,landings and demand we are unable to provide this.We could of course keep frozen fish so that people who think a fish market is like a supermarket, open twenty four hours could have fish at any time.We choose not to do this.Vary rarely do we not have fresh fish but that is possible when selling fresh quality produce.
As for highland hospitality can I say the vast majority of our guests are very happy during their stay as apparently were the rest of the party.

There are newer reviews for Kinlochbervie Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed with a friend at the Kinlochbervie Hotel in late November, a chilly time for a far northern trip, but we had a lovely warm welcome here, with a nice big room overlooking the harbour, and great bathroom. Breakfast in the light bright dining room has a good choice, and evening meals in the bar are pretty good pub food. Staff were really helpful with their advice- especially for when to look for the northern lights (unfortunately too cloudy). A good base for northern adventuring- to sandwood bay, durness, or anywhere along that beautiful coast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank martha j
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very warm welcome, staff were friendly and could not do more to help. Good food, evening meals and breakfast, good service. Rooms were well equiped and clean.
Thanks for everything to make our stay pleasant.
WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank balbirnie1954
Reviewed September 14, 2012

What a complete shame, a hotel sitting on a beauty spot totally uncared for, inside and out!! When was the last time Health & Safety Executive visited this place? Electric sockets that don't receive plugs, hairdryer cellotaped up at the on/off switch, shower that worked from a mixer tap, when did you last see that in a hotel?! Hairdryer was last PAT tested in 2008! Carpets and decor ancient, there had been an attempt to upgrade the shower area but it fails miserably by keeping in the old cast iron bath and sink, the water splash wall had unfinished edging!! Food wasn't much to rave about either, fish was tasteless, the veg was better tasting. Not once did anyone ask how was the meal nor did anyone ask if we enjoyed our stay!! With no other place to stay in
Kinlochbervie, we would have been out immediately!! Shame as we had such a pleasant walk to Sandwood Bay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HimandHerTwo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked the place in Durness with 3 weeks before starting my tour on Scotland. At my arrival the owner Angela turn her back on me saying she did gave the room for somebody else. Even don’t bother to apologize. So I went to the Tourist information and asked for help. They advise Kinlochbervie Hotel 3 stars. This is about 14 Miles from Durness with a nice half hour drive between the amazing mountains. Was fantastic. I was able hardly to find them. No sign where to go and how to find them. My Sat-Nav went ballistic but eventually I reached them. The hotel is old fashioned a little bit dirty but not disturbingly. The room was a little bit smelly due a door right beside mine was going to the kitchen area so all the smell come up to my room. The view was another room window. Despite of my room, the restaurant have a fabulous view. Looking straight to the bay and further to the Atlantic Ocean I was able to witness beautiful sunset which is rare in Scotland. So, thank you Angela from Durness. I you would be nice I would not see this fantastic sunset! Good value for money. The food is ok. They have a pub as well but I did not went there.
In my opinion this is an ok place.
Csilla

Room Tip: Try to book room with view to the bay. Fantastic view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Csilla E
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This family run hotel is the perfect location for those wanting to visit Sandalwood Bay. We planned a short break with our 12 year old daughter and our Collie puppy Poppy 6 months old. We received a warm welcome on arrival which after 7 hours travelling was great. Next question are we too late for dinner? The response not at all we will get a table ready for you. Our family room was at the back of the hotel so we did miss out on the fantastic views at the front but all in all it was a lovely quiet room. We dined Friday and Saturday evening and the food was excellent! After reading previous feedback I have to say there was plenty fresh fish on the menu which included the special Lobster and seafood platter. We requested a packed lunch for the morning and again that was not a problem for the hotel. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return again next year. Fingers crossed we score with the weather again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennydyce
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a week in the delightful North West. Staying in a local cottage we had decided to eat out every night. Kinlochbervie Hotel was our first port of call with a hope of a selection of good fresh fish and seafood dishes. We had booked that morning and were a little surprised when the receptionist declared that she had no note of this - only 2 other tables were occupied so did it matter? We were kept hanging about until we dicovered that a booking had been made by Mr Anderson - my name is Andrews so we suggested that a small mistake had been made. The response was that the boss would have to be asked about this to which I insisted that we would take Mr Anderson's table and fight for it if he appeared - he did not!
We could not believe that in a restaurant within sight of one of the major white fish harbours in Scotland all that was available on the menu fish wise was haddock and chips and prawn cocktail.
Sadly I ordered haddock and chips - I have never had a more miserable version. At the most a mere quarter pound of dubious fish enclosed in an oversized and overcooked shroud of batter was presented along with obvious oven chips and a bit of uninspiring greenstuff - at £11.95 a complete rip off. ( Try La Mirage in Helmsdale for the real thing at less than half the price.)

As a Scot living in Caithness and with an interest in Tourism I find this is a very sad situation and the fact that our important visitors are faced with this unacceptable level of catering is appalling.

We spent the rest of the week driving to the commendable Scourie Hotel and also cooking for ourselves excellent fresh fish from the regular fish van in Kinlochbervie which comes all the way from the port of Scrabster in Caithness!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank christne s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochbervie
Inver Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Tongue
Overscaig House Hotel
Durness Smoo Youth Hostel
Oak Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to Kinlochbervie Hotel? Share your experiences!