“Good place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kinlochbervie
Kinlochbervie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochbervie
London, United Kingdom
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked the place in Durness with 3 weeks before starting my tour on Scotland. At my arrival the owner Angela turn her back on me saying she did gave the room for somebody else. Even don’t bother to apologize. So I went to the Tourist information and asked for help. They advise Kinlochbervie Hotel 3 stars. This is about 14 Miles from Durness with a nice half hour drive between the amazing mountains. Was fantastic. I was able hardly to find them. No sign where to go and how to find them. My Sat-Nav went ballistic but eventually I reached them. The hotel is old fashioned a little bit dirty but not disturbingly. The room was a little bit smelly due a door right beside mine was going to the kitchen area so all the smell come up to my room. The view was another room window. Despite of my room, the restaurant have a fabulous view. Looking straight to the bay and further to the Atlantic Ocean I was able to witness beautiful sunset which is rare in Scotland. So, thank you Angela from Durness. I you would be nice I would not see this fantastic sunset! Good value for money. The food is ok. They have a pub as well but I did not went there.
In my opinion this is an ok place.
Csilla

Room Tip: Try to book room with view to the bay. Fantastic view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Csilla E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Aberdeen
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This family run hotel is the perfect location for those wanting to visit Sandalwood Bay. We planned a short break with our 12 year old daughter and our Collie puppy Poppy 6 months old. We received a warm welcome on arrival which after 7 hours travelling was great. Next question are we too late for dinner? The response not at all we will get a table ready for you. Our family room was at the back of the hotel so we did miss out on the fantastic views at the front but all in all it was a lovely quiet room. We dined Friday and Saturday evening and the food was excellent! After reading previous feedback I have to say there was plenty fresh fish on the menu which included the special Lobster and seafood platter. We requested a packed lunch for the morning and again that was not a problem for the hotel. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return again next year. Fingers crossed we score with the weather again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jennydyce
latheron
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a week in the delightful North West. Staying in a local cottage we had decided to eat out every night. Kinlochbervie Hotel was our first port of call with a hope of a selection of good fresh fish and seafood dishes. We had booked that morning and were a little surprised when the receptionist declared that she had no note of this - only 2 other tables were occupied so did it matter? We were kept hanging about until we dicovered that a booking had been made by Mr Anderson - my name is Andrews so we suggested that a small mistake had been made. The response was that the boss would have to be asked about this to which I insisted that we would take Mr Anderson's table and fight for it if he appeared - he did not!
We could not believe that in a restaurant within sight of one of the major white fish harbours in Scotland all that was available on the menu fish wise was haddock and chips and prawn cocktail.
Sadly I ordered haddock and chips - I have never had a more miserable version. At the most a mere quarter pound of dubious fish enclosed in an oversized and overcooked shroud of batter was presented along with obvious oven chips and a bit of uninspiring greenstuff - at £11.95 a complete rip off. ( Try La Mirage in Helmsdale for the real thing at less than half the price.)

As a Scot living in Caithness and with an interest in Tourism I find this is a very sad situation and the fact that our important visitors are faced with this unacceptable level of catering is appalling.

We spent the rest of the week driving to the commendable Scourie Hotel and also cooking for ourselves excellent fresh fish from the regular fish van in Kinlochbervie which comes all the way from the port of Scrabster in Caithness!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank christne s

Travelers are raving about these Kinlochbervie hotels

Berkeley, California
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The service at the restaurant was slow, but my starter and main course (halibut) were extremely good and quite reasonably priced. The dessert was dry and not too appealing. But, next time I'd simply order ice cream or skip dessert.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Excellent food, excellent value for money! Although we didn't actually stay at hotel the rooms look very comfortable and in good condition! Fairly busy and Fantastic views! Very large bar next to Restaurant but not busy at all!

4 Thank Redtrev
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

A group of 6 of us ate here and had a good meal. The staff are friendly, the views are great. The food isn't Michelin star level but it doesn't claim to be. The dining room is a bit dated but totally fine.
The prices are reasonable particularly given the remote location. I've had far worse meals in Edinburgh at far greater cost.

1 Thank puddock4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel is sited in a truly spectacular location above the harbour and not far from great beaches, including Sandwood Bay.
The bedroom, at the back of the hotel, was OK although heating was by a small electric convector heater and so the bathroom was like a fridge.
The lounge area was comfortable and pleasant with good views down to the fishing harbour. Dinning was OK but what a missed opportunity! Despite being next to one of the best fishing ports in the country there was no fish on the dinner menu on the day we stayed. There could have been a choice.

2 Thank Barry047
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochbervie
Rhiconich Hotel
Overscaig House Hotel
Mackay's Rooms
Mackay's Rooms
#1 of 11 in Durness

Been to Kinlochbervie Hotel? Share your experiences!