“Absolutely Fabulous!”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Plane Castle

Plane Castle The kitchen in the Manor House
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Plane Castle
The kitchen in the Manor House
A snug sitting room on the ground floor of the manor House
Main Jacobean bedroom
One of the 15th century Tower bedrooms
Kitchen dining in the 15th Century Tower
The grand fire place in the 15th Century Tower with painted roof beams
One of the many bathrooms in the manor House and Tower
Twin room in the tower
Medieval banqueting hall in the Tower
Medieval banqueting hall
Dining room in the Manor
The Great Hall perfect for celebrations
View from the gardens
A wedding enjoying a pipe band
Great Hall seating area around the fireplace
Party time in the Great Hall
Wedding in the Great Hall
Set for a wedding in the courtyard (view from the battlements)
Banqueting Hall
Banqueting Hall
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Shona T
“Absolutely Fabulous!”
Reviewed June 29, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

We just stayed at Plane Castle for a hen weekend and it was fantastic! A stunning location with quirky and interesting features. Steve, Sonja and the staff were excellent. They looked after us well while being relaxed and letting us get on with our weekend. Sonja hosted the murder mystery on the Friday evening - it is a must!! So much fun and there was lots of yummy food. This is the perfect spot for a weekend away whether you are there for a party or want a bit of history and culture. Love it and would definitely recommend for anyone looking for excellent hosts! Thanks to plan castle!

Clarence...
“The best part of our vacation (holiday)!”
Reviewed April 21, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

I could go on and on about Sonja and Steve. We were a party of 12 including 6 children visiting Scotland for the first time. We came across this on one of the websites and I reached out to Sonja for some additional information. She was more that a wealth of knowledge with every thing that I had asked of her. She was so quick to respond to all my questions, and believe me, I had many! Once we arrived, the place was great from one side to the other. Steve even went out of his way to take a couple of the members in our party to get some food and groceries as we had arrived during the evening and he was worried that we may get lost. Time after time, they both helped us with suggestions to even providing us with some first aid ointment for my 8 year old that happened to get himself into some type of picker bush. We even had the pleasure of eating one of Steve's delicious meals! If you plan on visiting and you need a nice place to stay with some of the nicest people around, look no further! If and when we return, we will not be searching the internet for a place to stay. I have stored Sonja's number in my phone and I'll be making just one call!
Thanks for the best stay guys! Words cannot explain how wonderful it really was!

Your age range 35-49
Apr 22, 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review. It was an absolute delight hosting you all and we look forwards to seeing you again one day:-)
Gemma S
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What an amazing weekend!”
Reviewed February 21, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Just got back from my hen weekend at Plane Castle. WOW!!! What a weekend! First of all we had 17 people going but as it went on some people decided to drop out causing us to have to pull out of renting the castle. My Maid of Honour spoke to Sonja about there only being 9 people now and she was very accommodating saying we could still go and just have the manor side of the castle. Perfect!!
We arrived on the Friday and Sonja showed us around then left us to it. We had just got settled and Steve was at hand to light the big open fire for us. We had a chilled but very drunken night as it was a long journey to get there.
Saturday afternoon was the Highland Games. Steve really went to town on this and everything was so much fun. Welly wanging, shot put, tug of war, archery, plus more. With prizes to be won too! If you're not too bothered about getting a little dirty then I would highly recommend this.
Saturday night was the Murder Mystery. We were all previously (before getting to the castle) given a character and a background story. I think the best way to do this is to just go for it. Dress up in character as much as you can. This was a surprise to me so seeing everybody and the effort they made was hilarious! Steve cooked an amazing 3 course meal for us and Sonja led the evening. Sonja is so friendly and welcoming and made the night even better for us.
Sonja gave us a tour of the tower and the history of this place is beautiful. With stone steps dating back to 650 years ago. I had read a review about these particular steps and how they were uneven and unsafe. They are not unsafe, and I don't think they had Bob the Builder back in those days to smooth everything out! The weather managed to stay decent enough for us to reach the tower roof top. The views are wonderful.
If you're looking for a fun stay away I couldn't recommend this castle enough. Steve and Sonja are the icing on the cake and it will be a weekend I will never forget.

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope you have a fabulous wedding:-)
Sonny_120...
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
Reviewed December 26, 2016 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

My daughter and her husband to be had visited a few hotels before settling on Plane Castle,for their wedding venue
I am so glad that they did.
Sonja , Steve and their team are so professional and went out of their way to ensure everything ran as smoothly as possible.
The castle is steeped in history and Steve was on hand to give a tour around when ever needed.
The accommodation is spotless , some rooms have ensuite.
The wedding itself ran like clockwork , all the guest loved the venue and its quirkiness .
The guests all raved about the food - delicious - was the word I heard most to describe it.
Sonja is the most organised and unflappable person I think I have ever met , exactly what you need .
I would highly recommend thie castle as wedding venue or as a holiday rental .

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you for your very kind review:-)
Kelly F
“The absolutely perfect wedding venue”
Reviewed October 16, 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

My newly wed husband and I chose Plane Castle as our wedding venue.
We visited Plane Castle over a year and a half before our wedding and when we saw the place, we instantly fell in love.

Plane Castle has a beautiful, traditional Scottish and "home away from home" feel to it. Our rooms were all beautifully clean, the kitchen areas were clean and the whole place was incredibly welcoming.
Everything about our weekend stay for our wedding was absolute perfection from the beginning to end.

As for our wedding, it was incredible, cannot even describe how beautiful everything was. The staff set up the room for our ceremony, our meal and our evening reception so amazingly that it looked better than we could of even imagined.

The staff at Plane castle themselves provided an outstanding service, no task was too big or too small, they made you feel at complete ease and helped make our wedding day feel stress free and made it so incredibly perfect.

Every single one of our guests commented on how much they loved Plane Castle, how beautiful it was, how incredible the place looked and they absolutely loved how homely and wonderful the place made them feel. There is so many different places to explore and many places to sit and enjoy catching up with family and friends.

As mentioned at the beginning of our review, we chose Plane Castle over a year and a half ago for our wedding and it was undeniably the best choice we could of possibly made as the place to have our special day.

If you are considering wedding venues in Scotland or near Stirling area, I absolutely encourage you to contact Plane Castle and to go have a look for yourself and try not to fall completely in love.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much to everyone at Plane Castle for our incredibly beautiful wedding, our comfortable and welcoming stay and everything you did for us.
We can only give Plane Castle an "excellent" 5 star review but trust us, Plane Castle is without a doubt, above and beyond this.

Traveling group: Other
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Oct 17, 2016
Thank you so much for your kind review. We have loved getting to know you and your family and to host your wedding was an absolute pleasure.

Enjoy your honeymoon Mr & Mrs M:-)
A2446MRst...
Kelso, United Kingdom
“The best ever place for our family party”
Reviewed October 9, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We had been planning our family party for two years and found this gem of a venue which made the whole event something special.
We arrived Friday afternoon and were instantly made welcome by Sonja & Steve who helped us settle in and gave us lots of information about the surrounding area.
We had a big family meal on the Friday night and the huge, well equipped kitchen made it easy for us to cook food for all 18 of us. The great hall in the manor was perfect for us to relax and eat in and the kids had a ball exploring the castle and were very excited when they found the secret passage.
Saturday we went into Stirling which is only 15 minutes away and a few of us caught the train into Edinburgh from Larbert which was nearby. In the evening we had a ceilidh in the great hall and danced until midnight and some of us stayed up late chatting and enjoying being in our own Scottish castle.
It was an unforgettable experience and I cannot recommend this venue highly enough. It is just stunning with the 600 year old tower, the manor and huge gardens none of us wanted to leave. We are already planning our next family get together and hope to book here again for New year 2017. Thank you Sonja & Steve for making it such a special occasion.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The whole castle experience and the warm welcome
Liked least: Having to leave
Traveling group: Large Group
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Oct 10, 2016
Thank you for your review and we look forwards to seeing you again in the future.
tania s
Port Augusta, Australia
“Little Disappointing”
Reviewed October 7, 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

I have been leaving reviews on trip advisor for many years with many reviews and many countries under my belt. In that time I have only left one bad review. This IS SORT OF the second.

I book most of our trips myself, therefore do a lot of research to find great places & locations for good prices. I planned a trip in August for 14 persons from Australia, all over 50 for 4 weeks through London, Paris, Scotland and Ireland. Took me months of research, but got it done.

I found Plane Castle and after researching, checking reviews, and emailing Sonya, the owner, I decided to book the Manor and the Tower for our group of 14. I kept this as the one and only surprise for the trip, after all, staying in a castle for 8 nights Wow!

Well, its a wonderful place and it could be much better. Many years ago the castle itself was in terrible disrepair and a ruin at best. It was rebuilt by previous owners, and then in recent years leased/sold to the current owners. This place could be so wonderful!

Even though we had a great time there, cause we were with an amazing group of people, the castle itself after a few days became a little disappointing, as it has low maintainance and lot of things not fixed, and in disrepair. But overall clean!

The Manor side, consists of a kitchen, dining, a nook (small lounge) the main hall and four bedrooms. Overall this side wasnt too bad but it could do with a bit of maintainance. There was spiderwebs everywhere, and the kitchen cupboards were really dirty inside from people doing fuctions there. I dont think they get cleaned (or checked) between tenants.

The Tower is four stories high with kitchen on bottom floor, dining on first floor, third floor has two bedrooms and a bathroom, and on the fourth floor is the lounge room which also has sofa beds for 4 persons in it and magnifient views of the countryside. This side was very bad with upkeep, the cemented/stone stairs were quite dangerous, as a lot of them were broken away, and one of ourgroup actually slipped and hurt himself where it had broken away. I do appreciate that its an old tower with small spiral staircases, but when your dealing with hospitality, you have to be on top of your maintainance. The shower nozzle in this side was broken, and we taped it up with sticky tape to hold it in place, we informed them, but it never got fixed. The central heating leaked for the entire time we were there all over the kithen floor.

When we arrived we walked through beautiful old iron gates into the courtyard, first thing were greeted by is empty beer cartons in the pond. They actually stayed there for a few days till one of the group fished it out.

The fireplace in the Manor in the great hall was blocked, but they didnt tell us. They provided wood etc for sale, so naturally we went ahead and smoked the whole place out. They did know it was blocked by a crows nest apparently, but didnt tell us. We had several asthmatics in our group and I myself have pulmonary sarcoidosis, last thing I needed. It took me and the others with asthma quite a few days to get over it. All they had to do was say it was blocked by a birds nest, so dont light it. We actually left a little hidden sign warning the next tenant not to get caught. Maybe they could have cleared the nest! just like we do in our chimneys.

The owners seemed very nice people and tried to be helpful when they could. They answered any questions etc and provided any info for us. They also arranged a bus to and fro Edinburgh for us, which we appreciated. Just very slow on any maintainance issues we told them about.

I was just a little disapointed it wasnt better maintained better. The cleanliness wasnt too bad, it was mainly the kitchens not being cleaned properly from prior tenants and functions. They said they sell it as "quirky" but spiderwebs and dirty kitchenware etc isnt quirky, its lazy.

But please, before you think I'm being picky, maybe I am but we have a hotel here in australia, and deal with customers and tenants all the time, and I know how important maintainance, upkeep, cleanliness is, PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING! We are constantly fixing and tidying things up. Like I said its not a real bad review just a review cause I was disappointed not with the castle itself, but the maintaince side of things. I have thought long and hard for the last month about what i would write, cause like I said the only other bad review was for the was museum in Rome. OMG. Haha.

I would recommend this for short stays, but I found the longer we were there the more I found. It has so much potential and they could do so much more and stay true to the era to which Plane castle was built.

Liked best: The castle experience
Liked least: poor maintaince
Traveling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway Families with young children
Oct 9, 2016
Thank you for your review and as this is completely the opposite from any other review we have received will respond in full. In respect of the stairs in the Tower they are 650 years old so of course have one or two grooves in them and we make it patently clear to all guests that they are the ORIGINAL stairs. You were clearly told that the fireplace was unusable for the week you were here and that it is ILLEGAL for us to remove nesting birds. In respect of cleanliness the castle is in a rural area and you insisted on keeping every window wide open the entire time you were here (at the same time as complaining of being cold) which as it was harvest time bought in dust from outside. We have also received emails from other guests in your party telling us that a couple of guests always had negative viewpoints stating that "some people in the group will complain about anything and everything" and actually that the rest of the group had a fantastic time and loved the castle. We object to being called lazy as we organised than more than just a mini bus for you. We were at your beck and call for over a week with out so much as a thank you from you and would point any future guests to the more realistic reviews we have received. If any guests who have read this review would like to see the comments from other members of this group we are more than happy to share.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing