“Sunday Night Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Sunday Night Stay”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My bf and I stayed here for 1 night on a DBB deal. We upgraded to an executive suite within the castle and the room was lovely. Check in was very fast and they accommodated our earlier check in request no problem. We received a nice bottle of wine in the room on arrival (part of the DBB dea lwe booked through Classic Britain).

The food in the Grill Room was very tasty and a great variety to choose from on the menu so we were not stuck for choice. The afternoon tea was also to a decent standard. The spa area is nice although it was full of kids playing so wasn't very relaxing but I understand that this is a family hotel too so it's to be expected, I just wouldn't come here for a relaxing spa retreat!

Now for the not so good bits, the service was very poor. We had to ask 45 minutes after ordering our afternoon tea where it was. It arrived around 10 minutes after that. It wasn't a massive problem as we weren't in a rush but it wasn't ideal.

The service in the Grill Room was not very good at all. The waiter asked me three times if I was finished eating when it was quite clear I had food still on my plate and that my knife and fork were still firmly in my hands each time he asked me! I began to feel uncomfortable. At the end of our meal, my boyfriend ordered a beer, the waiter took his drink order then came back and asked since we didn't want dessert could he 'just go and order it at the bar instead'. Not a very professional way to get us to leave the table.

The breakfast foods ran out pretty quickly and didn't seem to get replenished with any sort of speed, nor did the plates in which to eat your breakfast from. There was a wide selection available, if you could get your hands on it!

Overall we had a very nice time and would go back, but the service could do with matching the 4* rating this hotel has.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 in the castle which had a lovely bathroom
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
SCOTLAND
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed for 1 night in a Superior Room in the Castle. We had to climb 50 stairs to our room (no lift in The Castle) and the staircase was badly needing redecorated. The bedroom was large and cosy once the radiator was turned on, but the huge bathroom was freezing cold as the heated towel rail did not seem to be plumbed in. The bathroom window was not opaque and the glass was cracked. The shower was very poor. The bed was large and comfortable. It was not worth paying the extra money for the "Superior" room!
Our evening meal was a disaster - my friend and I ordered "4 hour slow cooked shoulder of lamb", and when it arrived 45 minutes later, we could not believe our eyes. There were 3 round pieces of supposedly lamb on the top of mashed potatoes. They looked like black pudding slices but only half the size and depth, and badly burnt. We called the waitress, who apologised and took the meals back. We told her we wanted other meals, and decided to have Supreme of Chicken instead. By the time our chicken dishes arrived, our husbands were finished their meals. The chicken was tasty, but very small. The whole process took more around 2.5 hours! Breakfast in the morning was very nice.
The staff were all very nicely presented and very friendly and helpful. They were a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Once again booked the deal for DB&B on 5pm - when I called hotel to book room, they only had castle rooms left on the night we wanted to stay, which was £35 to upgrade, I decided to do this, but was complete waste of money. Room wasn't as nice as rooms in actual hotel, extremely dated. and wasn't clean, cobwebs in ceiling and windows. Throw over bed was marked & torn! Very tatty for price! I've been to Airth Castle about 5/6 times to stay and I think that will be our last, its total hit or miss!

Food was great though, and girl who served us was extremely helpful!

1 Thank Joanna1507
Stirling
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I had looked forward to visiting Airth Castle Hotel for a two night stay to celebrate my friends marriage. Given that it has a 4 star rating I was really looking forward to relaxing in a comfortable and classy establishment. Following an extremely long day I arrived around 11.30pm and was greeted professionally and cheerily by the hotel receptionist, Steven. Following the essentials he passed me my key card and advised me where my room was. Unfortunately, he also added that my room may be one that doesn't have a number on it. This was obviously a little bit odd given that I was now approaching a bedroom with no number and folks may be wondering who is trying to get in to their room. Not exactly feeling great about it but knackered none the less I proceeded with the directions he gave me. The lift was the first hint for me that things weren't great. The buttons were all scratched off, certainly not a great impression. When I got in to my room I started to get concerned. First impressions were that it was extremely dated but I proceeded to look around and give it the benefit of the doubt. Everything was dirty and just not looked after. The information pack was dirty and fairly worn, the phone was disgustingly filthy. All the furniture had seen better days and were either damaged, bashed or had certain stains on it which could not be identified. There was a random couch which appeared to have been abandoned in this room. Furthermore there was a bashed bathroom door and a very dated and somewhat unloved bathroom. Given that the Friday night was £85.00 and the Saturday £130.00 I was not impressed. Not usually one to complain I couldn't face staying. I called reception and got Steven. He was excellent and acknowledged my concerns. Unfortunately, he advised that there was only one other room left but he was even unsure that it would be any better. The porter proceeded to take me over to the castle and a room which was in the far reaching corner of the castle. Again it wasn't great so I declined their offer of a swop. I therefore checked out and proceeded to call the trusty premier inn in which I was pleasantly greeted by an amazing receptionist who sorted out a room for my stay. Severely disappointed was an understatement for a hotel that needs a sever amount of renovation. I will not recommend or stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank mckerrowlouise

Travelers are raving about these Airth hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We spent the night in Airth castle to help in deciding on wedding venue, staff were very attentive food was amazing! Room was great as well apart from the toilet window not being frosted looking out in to car park whilst in there! Ha ha.

Would recommend! And we booked it for our wedding

• Stayed May 2014
Glasgow
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel part of resort in March this year, after booking one of the Sunday overnight spa break deals directly with hotel.

On the whole we had a fantastic stay, the use of the spa facilities is a great way to spend the day and cant fault the treatments we had although you need to be sure to book your treatments well in advance or you may find its fully booked with the day trippers as they do not keep any spaces for hotel guests whose packages include treatments. The conservatory area where you get meals is beautiful and really can't fault the food or service nothing is a trouble to the staff.

My only disappointment is the decor of the rooms. We were put in a "classic" room and to say it's basic is putting it politely. Sadly in need of a major rejuvination and modernisation in keeping with the luxury hotel & spa it advertises itself to be. Had we booked and paid full rate to stay here for a wedding as it is popular for I would have been extremely disappointed.

That said we had a lovely relaxing stay and would recommend it just don't expect 5* luxury rooms and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cove, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here at a discounted rate for a friends wedding. Did not stay in main castle, but nearby add on which looked and felt like a Travellodge with ill thought out design and pebbledash look.
Our first room had not been prepared for our stay with the heating turned off and one of the sockets not working. We asked for a room change and were assured our luggage would be transferred. On returning from our party, none of this had been done. Grouting in bathroom worn and general décor throughout hotel very tired.
On the plus side the breakfast was very varied with a lot of choice.
The reception was at Solsgirth House (their sister hotel), which if I had the choice would stay there.
Did say to reception staff about the room, but the person did not seem concerned enough to take up my comments to the Manager.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the nearby housing estate, check with reception.
1 Thank Kathybla1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!