“Dont expect 4 star quality”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dont expect 4 star quality”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Where to start! Stained bed sheets, hair covered sink, a toe nail on the carpet, marked walls, dated shabby furniture. Not what you expect from a resort selling its self as 4 star. We were moved from the above room to a castle room which to be honest was not much better. Again the furniture is tired but at least this time it was moderately clean. My major complaint though was how cold the castle room was. Even with the radiator up full and the curtains closed the heat went straight out the draught old windows. The food in the restaurant was ok although the staff left a lot to be desired. After paying for our meal, whilst walking back to our room we were chased by a member of staff asking if we intended to pay for our meal! After showing our receipt we were allowed on our way! The cooked breakfast is best avoided unless you like cheap sausages and scrambled egg that tastes like wallpaper paste. If you have booked and are reading this review do your self a favour and cancel. It is as bad as the reviews are making out!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John W
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com . Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berkshire
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Set on top of a hill, the hotel comprises the old castle building plus a newer bedroom block section. The style is clearly Scottish themed and from the photos on display this place does a roaring trade in Weddings. I stayed here for three days on business and noted the following:

Pros
The gym is newly equipped and has almost everything you might need (except a spinning bike)
The breakfast buffet serves haggis and black pudding!

Cons
The major problem here is phone reception - there is none at all on O2. I know this is not within their direct control but it negatively impacted my stay both in terms of business and also personal calls to home.
Ditto with broadband. They offer free Wi-Fi but it is very, very slow and only enabled me to download emails, not send any and at peak times I was unable to open web pages before the session timed out!
The menu would probably be fine if you were staying one night with a partner. However, everything was served with a buttery sauce, greasy dressing, or dripped with oil. Healthy options have clearly not landed here yet!
The restaurant lighting has been designed to provide "ambience" but is totally inadequate for winter mornings. I seriously needed a torch to make out what I was eating.
My room was OK-ish. It just about made it in terms of cleanliness and facilities but the overall impression was tired, tired, tired.

Overall, I would not choose this hotel for business travel. It is in an isolated location and the communication challenges are a real problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Piptothepost
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.

Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay, particularly your experience in the Grill Room.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
dunfermline
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We recently went to our friend's wedding here and I have to say from start to finish it was a fantastic experience. The wedding was held in the castle, the whole day was in there. The staff, the organisation and especially the food was fantastic. The choice of food was fillet steak and everyone said that it as cooked perfectly, not an easy job for 60 guests. I would highly recommend this venue for both a wedding and an overnight stay, fantastic.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The more modern rooms in the main hotel, whilst needing a bit of renovation are the best option to stay in. The castle may be more interesting but the walk to and from the hotel for meals isn't so good in the rain and the rooms are small and not as well appointed. The meals are, on the whole fine, though a little on the pricey side. No problems with the hotel staff who were always helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. The rooms in the hotel are more convenient for the use of the facilities and for the restaurant, however the rooms within the Castle are more in keeping with the Castle itself and we cannot change too much within them as the Castle is a listed building they are nice to stay in if you are looking for a nice view. I will pass on your comments to our team and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

once again I had a pleasant stay at this lovely hotel the rooms are very spacious with comfortable beds and good size bathrooms with both bath and powerful showers.
The food is also very good and at a reasonble price, the waiting staff look after you very well in the Grill room where you take both breakfast and dinner.
The hotel spa is also very good.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from any wedding parties etc for a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank billmitchison
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We were very pleased to read that you returned to stay at Airth Castle and that your stay was as comfortable and enjoyable as possible on your night away from home. I will pass on your comments to the team and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We got this as a Xmas present from my father in law. Check in terrible tried to charge double, dinner under cooked no complimentary drinks nothing, room was horrible the bathroom was still dirty, moved awa y from main bar to a back room out the way of their precious functions we sat in room both nights. Very disappointed

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janine s
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com . Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I'll start with a recommendation - don't stay in the castle, stay in the resort. If you pay the extra for the castle rooms to impress your girlfriend, the room is lovely, but it's a freezing ice box with 3 leaky windows at opposite sides of the room which create a polar vortex of cold air in the middle. The bathroom was nice. The four poster looked impressive, but once the going gets rough you're going to wish you brought a power drill and some self-tapping screws.

The breakfast in the restaurant was awesome, but pricey. Book it in advance as part of your room deal. Also - don't stay in the castle or you'll have to drive to eat rather than walk through the car park in the wind and rain. I had to avoid having a drink with my meal because I had to drive back to my room. Not ideal.

The spa is quite small, but catch it at the right time and it's pleasantly quiet. I can't comment on the treatments though. Jacuzzi was nice, but the showers and toilets were third world. There was actual waste on the floor in the mens. That's not the hotels fault, but clearly no one wanted to clean it, or no one checked all day. Both are bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the castle.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul A

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth
Broomhall Castle
Broomhall Castle
#1 of 1 in Menstrie

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!