“Not What I Expected”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed at Airth Castle 21 & 22 June for 'A Romantic Break for Two'. I booked by telephone in February and explained that we were being married on 21June and it was my wife's birthday on 22 June and was advised that 'this would be noted'. I almost tripped up the moment I walked into the room as the carpet was raised in several areas. Our view was a banking of weeds and none of the extras we were expecting were in the room (bubbly, chocolate strawberries, bath robes and slippers) and the room was not what we expected from the description of a junior suite on the web site. We immediately informed reception. We were then sent to a room on the third floor. This room was far superior to the first one. However, there were still some issues. The room was
extremely hot. One of the windows would not open and the other 2 had to be held open as they did not stay open on their own. We looked out onto an unkept area of the garden which was a shame as the rest was well looked after. Constant noise which sounded like an air conditioner. cannot fault the food or service received in the restaurant. Overall - not what I expected for my wedding night or birthday surprise for my wife.

1 Thank Tam M
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com or 0844 800 4000. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

after reading terrible reports about this hotel it was with trepadation that we commenced our visit only to be delighted with the whole experience. The staff were a delight and so helpful. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The food in the restaurant was delicious. The bar prices were a bit steep but apart from that a wonderful experience which I hope to repeat soon. There were porters and indeed 2 lifts to all floors despite previous reports which said there were none.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the food to be delicious. I will pass all of your kind comments to the team at Airth Castle Hotel. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

i cant understand some of the negative reviews of airth castle have had lunch on a few occasions and it has always been great also stayed for 2 nights for my daughters recent wedding and can not fault this place everyone and everything from start to finish was fantastic well done all the staff at airth castle a special thanks goes to john pat hugh .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments. A congratulation on your daughter’s wedding I hope she had an amazing day. We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable day and that you have dined at Airth Castle before and enjoyed it. I will pass on your kind comments to the team at Airth Castle who will be very pleased. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked Airth Castle for our honeymoon in June 2013 for four nights, very disappointed when we arrived.
The "castle" looks very imposing and impressive on the website, in reality its not. We had booked a Castle Suite four poster, (room 20, separate to the main hotel) when we finally found our room we were not impressed- the website showed pictures of a lovely suite, nicely decorated very modern etc, but what we got was an old fashioned and very tired looking room with very basic furnishings, old tv, no coffee machine etc. So, we asked to change rooms, we were then put into another room in the main hotel building-also not good! But we decided just to take it as there were no other rooms available. The receptionist was very nice though, and explained they were mid-refurbishment. Hmmm.

This room (I think 214) had a very old fashioned bathroom which wasn't that clean-mould around silicone on bath etc. Stained throw on bed, stained and worn sofa, windows didn't work properly, even the sheets on the bed didn't fit it properly! Also the bathroom door had a small hole in it, there was a hole in the coving, an extension lead behind the couch which also revealed rubbish behind it! The room obviously hadn't been cleaned properly.

On the plus side the food was quite nice, this was included in our price £135 +vat DBB. Restaurant was also quite old fashioned with worn looking furniture. The wines we tried weren't so good. Bar staff were nice but didn't really manage to serve drinks properly-warm white wine, tall glass for whisky, had to change my wine glass nearly every night as it had lipstick on it. Waiting staff were nice.

Didn't use the spa, we had a wee look at it on our second day, small pool, and also when I asked about treatments they were fully booked.

On our last day, we had a phone call from the hotels "Reservation Team" asking where we were and why we hadn't checked in on the Sunday (we had) I explained what happened when we arrived, they had no idea this had happened and it was the first they had heard of it. Obviously reservations and reception don't communicate. Very apologetic about the room problems but said there was nothing they could do. An hour later they phoned again to tell us the suite we had seen on the website was available if we wanted it for our last night! So off we went again-we thought we might as well get one good night out of it! This room (11, in the castle) was amazing-lovely decor, coffee machine, modern clean bathroom with a sunken bath and tv in bathroom, and a bottle of bubbly. Shame we didn't have it for our whole stay.

So I suppose it was better than nothing but still very annoyed about the whole mess, it spoilt our honeymoon. This all may sound very picky but it's very annoying when a hotel's website makes it out to be something it's not. It claims to be four star, it so isn't!

We won't be back!

Room Tip: Room 11 in the castle seems to be the only refurbished room, its the one on the website
2 Thank Jennifer M
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com or 0844 800 4000. Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked this hotel some weeks ago for two nights as part of our touring holiday in Scotland. When we booked we were told we had been allocated a room in the castle itself, great we thought, in the maim building with all the facilities and staying in a part of history. How wrong we were. We arrived this afternoon to discover that all the facilities, spa,restaurant,bar etc. we're in the new bit a couple of hundred yards away. We tried to get to our room up several steep stairs to the front door only then to realise that our room was on the second floor up many many stairs and there was no lift. We were not told any of this on checking in and were not even offered a porter to help with the luggage. We are both in our mid/late sixties and while we do not have mobility problems we could not be expected to repeatably go up and down these stairs during our relaxing holiday. The reception staff were no help at all and there was no apology. We were eventually offered a room in the main complex but felt this was not a hotel we wanted to stay in.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1 Thank Martyn P

Travelers are raving about these Airth hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

went for a family event, we booked a castle room and were given a hotel room which are at completely different standards, we paid for a luxury room and were given a lower class room and had to make do because apparently the whole complex was full when our friends moved rooms so if people could move room there were obviously spares, we went in a group and nobody was happy. the headboard and trouser press both fell off the wall, i now understand what people ment by 'dated' rooms, you cant have a tab if you pay cash for the room which is highly inconvenient,you have to walk across from the castle to the hotel to give your card details, the closest shop is a 25minute walk which was a garage anyway, its so over prices, over £10 for a sandwich, the staff are friendly but unhelpful. you cant order food at the bar past a certain time you have to order room service at a pricey charge, swimming pool is clean but shallow and small, cant relax with children jumping in, the event was beautiful and the castle staff were good, again a different standard to the hotel overall it was a hassle to stay here and not relaxing.

Room Tip: make sure you book a castle room not a hotel room and make sure you get that castle room!! dont list...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.
Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay, particularly your accommodation.
I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com or on 0844 800 4000, at your earliest convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here thurs 20th June with 22 of my family as I got married in the castle on fri 21st June. We all enjoyed a very relaxed pre wedding night and the food was delicious. We had a problem with singing waiters we had booked for the wedding and myself and mum were very worried but the hotel staff and events team were amazing and ensured it didn't impact on our evening. The beds were extremely comfortable which I was very glad of as I very much needed a restful nights sleep. My entire wedding went amazingly well and the team at airth castle played a very big part in this. Hugh the master of ceremonies was fantastic at ensuring the day went very smoothly and John and Kerry from the events team deserve a special mention as they were outstanding and everything far exceeded my expectations and really did go over and above to ensure we had the best day ever. To be honest I wasn't expecting the wedding meal to be anything special as I have attended many weddings and always found the food to be very average but I was very wrong as the food was possibly the best meal I've ever tasted which has been echoed by every guest I have spoken too. I would recommend airth castle to anyone and as far as a wedding venue and food is concerned it gets top marks. Myself and many of my wedding guests cannot wait to return and plan to do so very soon. Outstanding x

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Lyttleangel1
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments regarding your wedding at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We are delighted that you had such an amazing stay at Airth Castle and that your wedding was the perfect day that you had hoped for. Congratulations to you and your new husband, I will certainly pass all of your special mentions and comments on to the team at Airth Castle. The chefs will also be very happy that enjoyed your wedding meal and so did your guests. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you and your guests back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 1 in Menstrie
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!