“Okay but some drawbacks”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bathgate
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Okay but some drawbacks”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at Cairn Hotel, Bathgate for just one night in December 2012. We had terrible trouble finding the hotel. It was dark and we did not expect the hotel to be in an industrial estate. I don’t think it was signposted and we found that the hotel signs were not illuminated. We had to resort to telephoning them to ask for directions.
Check-in was fine and we were allocated Room 102. When booking the room we had requested a quiet room. However, Room 102 was very close to a motorway with constant traffic noise and was certainly not quiet. The hotel did not appear to be very busy that night and I am sure we could have been allocated a room on another side of the building which would have been quieter. I am a very light sleeper and found the traffic was a real problem, especially in the early hours of the following morning. The room itself was small but adequate. It had a TV, tea/coffee making facilities and a hairdryer and enough storage space for a couple nights’ stay. It had a small en-suite with a shower which was adequate but there was nowhere to put down your bathroom bag etc. A few complimentary toiletries were provided. The reviewer who mentioned problems with the toilet flush is correct. There is a sign by the toilet saying that, due to poor water pressure, you have to leave 5 minutes between flushes. When there are two of you sharing the bathroom this is not acceptable and in this day and age I am sure something could be done to sort their plumbing out.
I also found that, with the dark winter evenings and mornings, the room lighting was poor. Not good enough for putting on your make up ladies. I had to resort to using the bathroom mirror which, although bright light, was not brilliant for putting on your make up and, as I mentioned earlier, there was no here to put down your bits and pieces.
However, no complaints with the restaurant where we had a very nice dinner on our arrival. The portions were large and extremely good value for money. The staff were really great and the service very good.
As some of the other reviews mentioned, there was not a brilliant selection on offer for breakfast but I think the hotel expected everyone to order a cooked breakfast instead. We did resort to choosing from the cooked breakfast menu. This was very good and again, very good portions.
Hotel parking was free.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and then check out of the window before you unpack to make sure you are not fac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I can't understand why this hotel has no many negative reviews. Maybe too many people are looking for five star accommodation at three star prices!! Excellent food, comfortable bedroom and very friendly and efficient staff all combine to make this hotel well worth the money. First time I've stayed at the Cairn but will definitely not be the last.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank phillydog_11
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I ate here over the weekend and have no complaints.
The menu was 3 courses for £12 each and it was delicious .
The portion sizes were good and the sweets were amazing!! Home made cheesecake .
The staff were friendly and there was a good atmosphere
We will certainly return

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dng36
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

you turn up at the door and the receptionist doesnt even welcome you, not even a good evening or hello, although when spoke to she did reply and was very polite. Entered the bar area to be ignored by 2 barmen with their backs to us , no acknowledgement and when finally got served no thanks or even sorry for waiting. ordered 5 drinks which took 15 minutes to get, 1 barman now serving me and all the waiting staff getting bills etc. shown to our table and seated quickly menus given to look over. The menu looked pretty good and for £12 per head for a 3 course meal was very reasonably priced. starters were very nice although we ordered 2 soups which we were told was Tomato and when it turned up it was potato and leek.. It would have been nice to have been asked if we wanted that or something else from the menu. the soup was ok albeit a bit salty. the Haggis fritters were nice and tasty with a whisky sauce my sauce was hot and my sons was cold, which tells me microwave was in use. the fritters were nice, My wife had the pate which was lovely although could have been doing with more oatcakes for the size of pate. We finished our starters and ordered another round of drinks which took just as long.. we waited 45 minutes to be addressed by a waitress asking if we had had our sweets yet..... we were still waiting for our mains. Fish and chips, lasagne, steak pie and 2 sirloin steaks with a Dianne sauce. The mains were lovely and were enjoyed.. too many accompaniments,,, chips overflowing,,, however better to much than not enough.. onto sweets fudge cake , cheesecake, and cheese and biscuits.... I dont like blue cheese and asked if this was on the cheeseboard to be told no... guess what it was... although the sweets were ok the staff really should know what they are selling... overall the food was fine, wait times too long and staff knowledge poor. this hotel could really up there game although it was not terrible...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andybryce
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel, I firmly believe that some people just like to complain for the sake of doing so. My wife and I have VERY high standards and definitel expect to get our money's worth. Please make sure you read the rest of this review.
We were staying at the Cairn for my daughter's wedding and although the wedding was not actually being held here, we were given a warm welcome and made to feel at home. We had taken over 26 of the rooms and absolutely none of our guests had any complaints about either the cleanliness of their room or the state of the decor. The standard of food, for breakfast, 5 different types of cereal, fruit, yoghurt and a plate of excellent porridge before, should you desire, a full Scottish, through to evening dinner (with an extensive menu to choose from) was first class throughout the whole weekend as was the level of service that went along with it. Throughout our stay there was absolutely nothing that was too much bother for any of the staff on duty. For example, one of our bridesmaids had mislaid a feeding bottle for her young daughter and despite a search of the family rooms, one could not be found. The night porter took her Mum in the car down to the local Tesco at half past one in the morning to get a replacement.......going above and beyond the call of duty I believe you call that. I would also like to add a special mention to Carol and Shona at Reception and to Carol (food & Beverage manager) Richard, Brian and Tommy who, despite our best efforts to derail their good humour, kept us fed and watered with a smile and good natured banter all weekend. If I had to pick just one point, I would say that you need to turn the heating down a wee scratch..........
All in all a first class weekend and I would absolutely not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody. Thanks to you all and we will definitely be back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank grahamb1961
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife Daughter and I recently stayed here and paid £ 200 for 1 night for 2 rooms.
Firstly the rooms are tired and shabby, peeling paint and walllpaper,the toilet has a sign stating that you will not be able to flush twice in 5 mins due to poor water pressure.The bathroom was not as clean as it should have been.
Secondly the staff were not very helpful and seem to resent all guests keeping them from chatting and gossiping with each other.
Thirdly the food was very bland, 2 of our group had the steak, cooked o.k but very tasteless the plates were cold as was the veg and potatoes, sent back to the kitchen,when the plate was returned it was warm but the veg were still cold?
I had Macaroni (that was the description on the menu) cold soggy pasta, watery sauce and grated cheese,served with salad and garlic bread, This was also sent back as i won't pay for cold food. it also came back in a warmish plate but the pasta was still cold,soggy,limp,and not very appetising. Spoke to the manager about our meals and was told that they cater mostly for the bus tours from Germany,Austria,France,Belguim, and that the cooks are still trying to master the menu??? Basically this hotel is a stay over point in the Continental bus tours route and all food breakfast,lunch,dinner is of very poor quality (cheap and nasty) breakfast was a buffet of continental and full english but again poor quality food mass cooked to sit on a hot plate from 6am til 10am please please please aviod this hotel

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jmw39

Travelers are raving about these Bathgate hotels

Northamptonshire
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were moved to this hotel as antoher had overbooked. I was warned by the locals that it was a terrible hotel but I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff were really friendly and the atmosphere and surroundings were of a high standard. The food was great and excellent value (£12 for 3 courses)! The rooms were a little tired but the hotel had done a good job of sprucing them up. Would stay again when back in the area

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank oil1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bathgate
Premier Inn Livingston (Bathgate) Hotel
Travelodge Livingston
Travelodge Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Premier Inn Livingston (M8, Jct3) Hotel

Been to Cairn Hotel? Share your experiences!