“Friendly staff but disappointingly poor facilities & very overpriced!”
Review of Mercure Livingston

Mercure Livingston
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I chose to book the Mercure in Livingston as a bit of a treat, and decided to pay extra for a Privilege Room so I could access high speed wi-fi & watch films on the TV . I sincerely wish I had just gone with my first instinct and booked at a local Travelodge or Premier Inn instead! It would have cost a third of the price, and at least I wouldn't have been disappointed.

In total I paid £180 for 2 evenings in a Privilege Room, with breakfast for 2 people on both mornings and also opted for the late check out option.

The main entrance/bar area of the hotel is nice, but the corridors and other public areas are very tired and dated. The bedroom was okay; nothing spectacular - I had expected an upgraded room to maybe be a bit nicer.
One of the main issues encountered during my stay was the fact we could not access a decent speed of wi-fi (apparently there was a hardware fault which could not be fixed within the hotel), so we had access to dial-up speed internet which was rather annoying. This may seem like a petty complaint, but this feature was the main reason I booked with this hotel!
After setting up the wi-fi on my laptop, I called reception to ask if there was maybe a different code for quicker speeds. I spoke with Tom (I think he was the night-shift manager) and he was brilliant! Could not have been more friendly and helpful, and he brought us up a free drink to apologise for the lack of internet access and reassured me that we would not be charged for any movies watched (I was really worried because the TV said they were £6.50 each!)

Breakfast was okay, standard buffet fare. The lady greeting us was very friendly and helpful. Myself and my partner felt very awkward being the only table in the whole dining area whilst staff cleaned up the area as we ate!

We received a phone call to the room at 12:30pm on our second day letting us know that checkout was at 12pm. As I had paid £20 (which seems pricey to me!) for a 6pm checkout, this really annoyed me. Especially when told that there was no record of us having paid for a later checkout. I felt extremely uncomfortable, embarrassed and hurried, so much so that I could not wait to leave the hotel, which we did shortly afterwards.

(I did a satisfaction survey online after my stay and was contacted via email by the manager apologising and explaining somewhat why the wi-fi wasn't working.)

What was intended to be a lovely treat for myself and my partner turned into a disappointing experience which left me really regretting paying so much money.
I will not be returning to this hotel again, and would recommend that anyone considering it look elsewhere as there are other, better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay and for completing our satisfaction survey directly. We are sorry for the failure of our Wi-Fi and regret that we were unable to fix the local hardware fault during your stay. We will also look to improve our information as Privilege rooms include complimentary movies and music through the television.
We are very grateful for your recognition of the staff but are disappointed that your stay was not a total success.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

stayed 3 nights on business, not bad food ok, service good nice staff, rooms ok. I didnt like the 10% service charge added to my bill by the automatic till setup. I aske the waitress why, and she said it was automatically added. She was embarrassed, and I got it removed!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. Our service charge is shared directly to the team and we are sorry if there was any awkwardness with this arrangement for you or from our teams perspective. We will always, and frequently, respond to a guest preference in respect to this and we will be carrying out retraining with our team.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Really nice Hotel, had a very nice 1st night, then unfortunately there were some "Party Animals" making a bit of a noise on the 2nd night. Nice large comfortable bed, lovely bathroom, nice room. Very friendly staff. Would have liked a slightly larger pool.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are grateful for the feedback and we are sorry to learn that you were disturbed by other guests. We try our best to contain this noise and we endeavour to improve our response.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Have stayed here a few times for work, due to office proximity rather than by choice.

Food is ok,better than some other places I've stayed in.

Rooms are dated, and need a refresh. Staying in cold weather, I noticed that the layout of the rooms is such that room heater is hidden behind floor length curtains, so majority of hear is instantly lost through the windows, rather than into the room, so if you feel the cold, don't expect to be warm - at all.

On a multi-night stay, the room didn't appear to be properly serviced on my return - rubbish left on floor. Given the green credentials promoted within the room, I was also surprised to see that the cleaning staff through out the soap every single day, rather than leaving it for duration of stay - what a waste of money - I don't mind sharing the soap with myself :)

Free wifi is good, so no complaints there. TV facility is somewhat wanting - having to negotiate multiple (5-6) button presses just to watch TV is ridiculous, and trying to change channels often results in frozen screens.

I only stop here because it's convenient for work location, but I may not stop here again - plenty of other options nearby to try, and I'll go there and suffer the extra distance to travel to work

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are very grateful for the constructive comments and we will use these when making future improvements. I am sorry for any shortcoming in our service and we will work on this immediately.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed on Hogmanay for the new party. Awesome.
Where to start at the beginning , rooms clean tidy and had everything we needed especially free wi if kept the kids happy while we got ready.
Our experience started at 7pm all dressed and ready to party, lovely welcome drinks, personally taken to our allocated tables, perfectly decorated , we had fun with the streamers and hooters and feather Boas, party poppers ,hats and bow ties.
The food was amazing, home made soup :) ,the fillet steak was perfect even the roast veg, dessert OMG I had home made pumpkin pie, hats off to the chef who made this just truly awesome, coffee cheese and biscuits, everything about this meal was great.
The kids were catered for as well, meals perfect for them, my grand daughter said this was the best night of her life ( she's 6 ) apart from her holiday. Lol .
Great night , great food, great music with the DJ, and the band and best of all the piper, bringing in the bells with champagne and the Piper and family just perfect.
Your staff on the night have done you proud, the whole experience went like clock work, I even heard other guests comment on how wonderful the food was and how they were having a ball.
So yes to say we had a great time was and understatement. All your staff were lovely but I just need to say Michael has a lovely smile and people don't always have to speak to make an impression. :)
Thanks guys see you again soon xx

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank julie j
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your meal with us at Hogmanay.
We were very pleased to read that you all enjoyed the event and your meals. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable,
We booked through national holidays and we didn't expect the service and quality that we did get.
The breakfast was plentiful and a good selection cereals, pastries, porridge and the usual cooked breakfast. The evening meal on the first night was a limited menu but of a high standard, the second night there was a Christmas party in the hotel which the bus party was included in which was a nice surprise. All in all we had a pleasant weekend at the Mercure , Livingston that we would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony W
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your trip and the party atmosphere.
Many thanks,

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Girls/business weekend away. Booked a 'leisure spa break' it was neither leisurely or has a spa.
Yes it is a weekend in December and works parties are expected at this time of year, HOWEVER, upon arrival we were informed (by a cheery receptionist) that we could not eat until 8.30pm at the earliest as the kitchen staff could not cater for hotel guests due to the 2 functions on. When looking for our restaurant we were directed to a tiny room, which clearly was a conference room, made up as an emergency dining room for the evening. Our package included our dinner, but the choice was shocking and definitely not worth the money. We ordered a jug of water for our dinner, but due to bar staff being busy we did not receive this until we had actually finished our meal.
Sleep was almost non existent due to said functions. People running/screaming/slamming doors/banging on doors, with no intervention from staff, this continued until 5am.
Following morning we decided to lounge by the pool and use sauna/steam room/Jacuzzi......however there was 1 lounger and 1 chair (both white plastic cheap and tacky) the steam room was broke, there was no Jacuzzi and the pool was a dip pool and by no means could be described as swimming pool.
I tried to order a mocha, but hotel had no chocolate .......(the asda is across the road)
Internet is, thankfully free, but so slow and couldn't be used by both of us at same time, while in the room. Timed out constantly due to slowness.
Fiona the waitress was a blessing and a very friendly hard worker, but as a whole the service towards guests was appalling, we were treated as a nuisance and facilities are definitely not as described.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am sorry that the events in the hotel infringed on your enjoyment and we are grateful for your detailed comments. We will use these to review our offer and make changes where possible.
Kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Travelodge Livingston
Macdonald Houstoun House
Premier Inn Livingston (M8, Jct3) Hotel
Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel
Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!