“Brilliant first stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Sunderland
“Brilliant first stay”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Me and my partner with our son stayed at the Mercure Hotel last week and was our first stay in this Hotel and what a first experience it was!
The staff was lovely, the food was great although we did have a bad experience with one of the members of staff and could not get her name due to covering her name badge with the clip board. She was rude, blaming everything on us and snapping at us at what we were doing and the house keeper saw this and didn't agree with what she was doing! But other than that one staff members all the others were great specially one part of the night staff named Sarah! She was so warm, welcoming and great with our son, She had the best jokes and always made us feel welcome and when ever we did bump into her she was always full of smiles and always stopped for a good chitchat with me and my partner. She was there first hand when we needed room services, tea;s, coffee's everything she was straight there without a fuss and helped us up the stairs with our luggage and our pram due to me having a bad back.

I can't say one bad thing about this place as we will definitely be coming back again!
The receptionist were great.
Night staff were great
Food was good
A very welcoming hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we are very grateful for the feedback. I am sorry that a member of my team tainted your visit. I will be investigating this with our housekeeper so we can complete the necessary retraining. I do hope we might see you again soon.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for business. The whole place looks tired and run down. The member of staff at reception told me it was her first day and she wasn't entirely sure how to check me in (although she did a great job and was the most pleasant and approachable team member throughout my stay) and there were no staff to help her.. she had to go find someone and ask for help.

My room on the ground floor was in the corner and was very small, not comfortable, no iron just a cranky old trouser press in the wardrobe (sideways so you had to squeeze into the wardrobe to see the controls), no airconditioning, windows that only opened about 3 inches, a tired dirty feeling bathroom and a view of... a wall!!! Oh well, it's business, views aren't what you're there for.

First night I decided to eat in the restaurant. The prices were high and the menu not very interesting but I couldn't be bothered to go looking for somewhere else. I stood around in the bar area by the podium for 15 minutes looking at a menu before any of the staff acknowledged my presence.. after this the food arrived without any more fuss but to be honest it was nice, not great

Then off to bed ready for a days work the next day.. 2:30 am the plumbing started up and it seemed all my neighbors were banging and crashing round their rooms.. feeling groggy and dehydrated after an hour I decided to go find a drink. The vending machine was out of service so I headed to reception where I cam across the coach party getting ready to leave.. that explains the noise levels but not why I was put in a room surrounded by early departing guests.

To give the night staff their due they did sort me out a drink of coke.

At breakfast I had to 'negotiate' with the gate guard to get breakfast because I couldn't be certain of my room number and didn't have the card with me. Another member of staff took over, obviously seeing things weren't going well and the rest of the standard no frills buffet breakfast went smoothly.

On the second evening I didn't bother with the hotel and went for a walk round the local outlet centre and dealt with food that way. I skipped breakfast, not wanting any hassle, and went to reception to check out.. the queue was appalling..

Sorry Mercure, I wont be back..

Room Tip: try a different hotel or at least make sure you aren't in the corner
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for telling us about your visit. I was sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay but we are grateful for the feedback and will use this to help us improve our offers and service.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Spent one night in this hotel, room good size with all the usual stuff you need, must say a big thanks to Cheryl and Dave in restaurant and bar made us feel very welcome all night and also to Fraser the head chef for a wonderful meal all round especically the steak don't think I have tasted better

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I was very please to read that you had an enjoyable visit and we are very grateful for your compliments on your meal and the team. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Inverness, Scotland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Booked through Accor, and assumed it would have the same standard as all the Accor chain of hotels. Mistake - apparently Mercure is now a franchise, but we weren't aware of this until we checked in. This hotel needs some serious investment, as the 'privilege' room we occupied was drab and the walls were marked. The shower was good, but unfortunately, the water couldn't drain away fast enough, and shower tray filled up. There is no air conditioning in this hotel, and our window would only open about six inches. The weather was hot and sunny, so we couldn't get a proper night's sleep. When we complained at checkout in the morning, we were told we could have got a fan for the room, but we weren't told when we checked in. When I asked why not, I was told that they didn't have enough fans for every room, and you don't get hot summers in Scotland. The room had an excellent coffee machine, but the instruction booklet was in 6 languages, none of which was English. Phoned room service 3 times in the space of twenty minutes, but never got an answer, so, had to phone reception and pass the order there.

Really, the only positive remark I can make is on the food - it's fine. Three weeks ago, we stayed at the Sofitel at Gatwick Airport, superb room, excellent service, didn't have to pay any extra for an early checkin, five star quality - price, with a little haggling - £110 Price at the Mercure - £115. Reception wouldn't even knock the early checkin price off the bill. Staff at reception should be there to help and advise, but not at this hotel.

Room Tip: There aren't any - The hotel is past it's sell by date
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the detail in your review and will be working to address these points.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Sadly this hotel is rather tired and in need of a makeover. Rooms are of a decent size and comfortable but need redecorated. A good buffet and cooked meals were available at breakfast but staff were not very attentive. A young group who just wanted to talk with each other. The hotel is ideally situated for for shopping in Livingston and suitable for touring in the area as motorways are nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms are brighter on the south side of the building
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the hotels location – walking distance from Livingston’s shopping and Designer Outlet centres - and we are pleased you enjoyed your meal at breakfast. We will now be working to improve the attentiveness of our service.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

A special thanks to Melissa who went out of her way to help us.
Also like to mention Blair in the bar for a fabulous smile & greeting & exceptional service. Also Greer who was always willing to make our stay comfortable. Would definitely recommend this hotel...

• Stayed May 2013
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We really appreciate your kind comments regarding the team and I look forward to sharing this review with the individuals you mention. I hope we might look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

A fairly average quality hotel, but the level of engagement between the staff and their guests is superb! No corporate speak, just genuine warm friendliness. If I'm in the area, I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that the staff made your stay enjoyable and we are very grateful for your compliments. We do hope to see you again.
Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Princes Street and Gardens
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Travelodge Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!