“an unfortunate experience”
Review of Mercure Livingston

Mercure Livingston
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On the first day of our 3 days stay, we had a shower with no hot water. on the second day we had a broken heater and a flashing light in the bathroom on the 3rd day the staff apologies to us saying " You did not had a good stay" ..... all the issues below where found by us in the evening when coming back into our room which mean that they were only solved the day after because the maintenance team was not anymore on site.
I would not recomande this hotel unless you like challenges.... but at near enough £100 per night it is an expensive chalenge..... try something else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your visit. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and we will be working to improve on the matters you have directly raised to us.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Livingston

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My office made what turned out to be a bad choice by senten....reserving me a night in this place. I'd booked the Peebles Hydro, a much better hotel and location and £40 cheaper but someone thought she was doing me a favour by choosing a hotel for me in the region I was travelling and they wouldn't accept my cancellation.

The rooms are noisy with little to no sound insulation. When the man in the room above went for a walk around at 3AM! it signalled the end of sleep for the night. The Chinese man in the room next door was obviously conducting some business over the phone during Chinese business hours and I head every word of his, and some of theirs! I didn't understand a word of course but even so, sound reduction is non-existant.

There was a special offer of a pizza, a film and a beer for £15 so I opted for that except they'd run out of pizzas ay 6pm so that was a waste of advertising the service in the room. So I was promised my burger would be delivered to my room 'in 20-25 minutes' but Skyfall was nearly finished by the time it arrived so it had taken well over an hour!

And don't try and make a phone call, the signal is terrible inside the hotel so you have to go outside in the urban desolation of Livingston to use your phone. There's no wi-fi and you have to pay for an internet connection.

Want a drink? Take your own - there's an ASDA 150 yards away - as you'll almost certainly find the bar unstaffed. Still, there are vending machines in the foyer you can buy crisps and pop from.

So I'd suggest that unless you are working IN Livingston, are travelling from afar and playing at the nearby stadium or work for Scottish Hydro and have been stationed there for training purposes, drive right past Livingston and find a different hotel. It's a midden.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Norfolk_Enchants
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you were booked in to a hotel that was not your personal preference. Livingston is some distance from Peebles and the two towns very different. I am sorry so many elements of your stay were not to our usual standard and I do thank you for letting us know - we’ll now work to improve these.
I was sorry to that you could not get connected during your stay. The hotel usually benefits from good mobile signals (although will differ by provider) and we have recently launched Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and this has been enjoyed by many guests without difficulty.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

A part of a coach group I stayed here for two nights, dinner B&B.
I thought it was a really good hotel, pleasant decor throughout and very spacious bedrooms. The food was fine especially the excellent breakfast selection.

The staff are very friendly and efficient, dealing with requests quickly and with a smile. Must make mention of David the male supervisor in the bar/restaurant who works very hard to keep things running smoothly.

Would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and found the hotel to be comfortable and the meals to your liking, especially breakfast.
Thank you too for your kind comments regarding the team which I will of course share.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We chose this hotel simply for its location to the shopping centre. We were only staying one night and thought it would be okay.
As soon as we drove onto the pot holed entrance we realised it was a mistake. This is an old and tired Ramada simply re badged as a Mercure hotel with no apparent upgrade.
The carpets and fittings were worn and badly in need of replacing. The room was similar and we even had to call maintenance as the shower stuck in the 'on' position. It was of no surprise to the staff and I guess this was not the first panicked call they had received. The bedroom floor creaked constantly as you walked and I only hope no one was staying in the room below. However the room was clean.
They advertise free wifi throughout but we received very bad reception in our room and gave up.
The drinks prices are at a level I expect at a 4/5 star hotel and far too expensive for the standard of hotel.
The only redeeming feature of the stay was the staff. Everyone was extremely pleasant and polite.
My advice is to only stay here if it is extremely cheap. Even the Travelodge is better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank merchant
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for telling us about your visit.
I am sorry that you were unable to connect to the hotel Wi-Fi. This is a recent installation and we are not aware of any other connection issues. We will of course now check all parts of the system are working properly.
Thank you to for your comments on the team and we will work to improve the other points you observed.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed over Sat/Sunday with my brother and dad as we had a day out in Edinburgh with family on the Saturday. On arrival staff were very friendly and although we were slightly early were given our room straight away. Room is basic but clean and done the job adequately. Bought a drink at bar before heading to Edinburgh and must say prices were a wee bit OTT for location. Might have stayed for a few more if prices were a bit keener. Overall would stay again if price reasonable. Good stop over for visit to Edinburgh as only 20min on train. Would place this hotel somewhere above Premier Inn for facilities.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the location convenient for Edinburgh.
I hope we might hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good for business travellers, free on site parking, free wifi. Rooms are very clean, comfy beds. The receptionist when I checked in was excellent , very cheerful gave me all the information I needed. I had meals in the bar area so can't comment on the main restaurant, both meals I had we're very nice, reasonable price and tasty and the bar staff were very good.

Only thing I think needs improving is the food at breakfast. Both days bacon was cold and the fried eggs must have been under the hot plate for a while as they were like bullets. I did ask for fresh which were cooked, but staff should be checking the food and change, replace when required.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are very grateful for your feedback and will now be working to improve our breakfast offer. I hope you will notice the difference on a return visit.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just returned home to Sheffield from "yet another" week at the Mercure in Livingston. Over the past year i have had to visit Scotland for work on a regular basis, each time i have stayed at this fantastic hotel.

The room's maybe dated as per earlier comments, however, of the many rooms i have stayed in they have each been spotlessly clean and more than comfortable! Was a plesent surprise to stay this month and find that free Wi-Fi is finally available in each room.

Without exception, the staff at this hotel have made me feel so so welcome and at home. Special mentions have to go to Greer and Melissa from Reception and Graeme from the bar/restaurant. They without fail remember my name and also the names of my colleagues that have stayed. They always stop for a chat, recommending places to go, see and do in the surrounding areas. It is because of these members of staff that we return several times a year. We recently had to stay at another hotel owned by the same group, although comestically far superior to the Mercure, the standard of the food and friendlyness of the staff could not be met.

The bar has been set very high for any hotel that i have to stay at for work. Keep up the fantastic work you do, other hotels (The Novotel at Edinburgh Park) could learn so much from you!

Accor group, get this hotel updated cosmetically to match the quality of the food and staff that you offer!

See you soon Mercure!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EmmaMarriott
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stays. I am very pleased that these were made these more enjoyable by the team and that our bar makes an excellent place to relax. Thank you too for the special mentions, - it is always a pleasure to share these comments with the team. Our Free Wi-Fi went live across the entire hotel 2-weeks ago and has proved to be great benefit or all but particularly tablet users. We plan to add a High speed option soon too. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Livingston.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Princes Street and Gardens
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Travelodge Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!