“OK but a disappointment compared to nearby competition”
Review of Mercure Livingston

Mercure Livingston
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Leeds
“OK but a disappointment compared to nearby competition”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is the sort of place where your heart sinks as you arrive, it was plainly something else recently before being bought by Mercure, as the only evidence of the Mercure brand is an ill-fitting sign tacked on above reception. The reception desk is too small so that a queue quickly developed and the hotel was having a problem with the keys so that you had to be escorted to your room and let in. There was a curt apology but no recompense for this inconvenience. When i arrived there was a wedding party with unruly and very noisy children running all over the bar, so i wasn't tempted to either the restaurant or bar. The rooms are Ok but strangely designed, no bedside switches for lights, for instance. The bed had a good duvet and pillows, but was not especially comfortable. A very small flat screen TV had a dozen or so channels but one of those interfaces that is determined to show you all the films they want to charge you to watch (admittedly an up to date selection) rather than let you go straight to TV. Picture quality very poor. Bathroom clean but with an very noisy extractor fan ( the bane of many hotels!) and a very uncomfortable bath, not to mention plumbing which tried to divert water to the shower head rather than allow a bath, unless you wedged the valve shut.
All in all a disappointing location and a Disappointing overall experience, nowhere near as good value as other hotels in the area. The staff attitude to the inconvenience of the key problem was also a bit disappointing, a curt apology instead of compensation, a glass of wine or even a bar of chocolate would have done much better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your visit.

We appreciate the inconvenience presented by the failure of our lock system. Unfortunately repairs took longer than expected and I am sorry if our apology was insincere.

I am sorry too that elements of your stay were a disappointment and we’ll look to address both the maintenance and service matters.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Oxford
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Staff were very helpful - especially the waiter. Took full board and found good value. Hotel needs to be "Mercured" i.e. still has dated fitting in rooms and bathroon. But clean, comfortable, well located close to shopping centre, well connected - sleep quality only interrupted by fire alarm @5am.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay.

We are making changes to the hotel and hope to announce more early in the New Near.

I am pleased the location proved to be good for you and that the team were helpful.

We do need to act on the fire alarm when activated for everyone’s safety but I am sorry that you were disturbed.

I hope we might see you again.
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The rooms and service for the most part were good. The breakfast was a joke though. I assumed there would be a breakfast chef for this but apparently not as the food was awful. Plastic at best. The appearance of the men in charge wasn't any better. This has been said by a couple of people I know before and I hope this will be improved in future.

• Stayed December 2012
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay and that, overall, the service was good.

I am sorry that breakfast was disappointing and we’ll be working to improve this.

Thank you for letting us know.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Front of house staff friendly and efficient but decor in the hotel (paint on walls / ceilings) & carpets was dated. Bathroom was like something from the 80s with formica splashbacks etc., but at least it was clean!

Bed comfortable and pillows first class.

Overall, nothing special but just adequate.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay.

I was please to read that you found the team friendly and the hotel clean.

We are always working to improve the hotel and your feedback is appreciated.

I hope we might see you again.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

On 2 very wet and windy nights, so glad this was only just over 3 miles from the office after some long days.

Speedy, efficient check in and check out, and staff that remember your name.

Good selection of food in the restauraunt.

Ground floor quiet room, slept like a log.

Just what was required.

Only downside, then only slightly, was a car park bulb that had just blown, so only just managed to miss the puddle.

Will get work to book there next time I'm working at our Livingston office.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for telling us about your stay last month.

I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay and your meal.

I am sorry for the dim car park - we have now replaced the lamps.

I hope we might see you again soon.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, during the evenings at dinner Louise Allen from the restaurant and Natasha from reception recognized me and greeted me by Mr and surname after just meeting me the once. this made me feel welcome and assured that the hotel was friendly and actually made the effort to know the customer instead of the standard hello Sir.
Louise Allen also took the time to stop and welcome me each evening to the restaurant even when she wasn't serving. thanks for the great welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for telling us about your stay last month.

Thank you too for your recognition of the team who endeavour to make everyone feel welcome, it is great to know this is noticed.

I hope we might see you again soon.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have just concluded a 4 week stay at Mercure Livingston where I was based training for BT. It truly felt looked a home away from home & this is totally down to the friendliness of the staff, especially Melissa's 1&2, who were always smiley & friendly at reception & always managed to put a smile on my face whenever I was feeling homesick.

Food was excellent too, and the facilities came in very handy to fill up my evening.

Cheers guys,

Jamie (222)

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Jamie,

Thank you for telling us about your stay last month.

We are most grateful for kind comments regarding the reception team and I am pleased your visit was an overall success even if we couldn’t cure the homesickness!

We hope we might see you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Princes Street and Gardens
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Travelodge Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!