“Weekend break”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Mercure, Livingston on a visit to Edinburgh and although it was quite a way out of town we found the hotel easy to get to. The rooms were comfortable and very clean, staff were pleasant and helpfull, the breakfast plentiful and well presented. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and away from reception. It was certainly very quiet, we weren'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela T
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Scotland
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night to take advantage of a girlie shopping trip.

When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist on duty was very pleasant, chatty and professional explained a little about the hotel and offered us a voucher for a complimentary glass of wine - very nice.

The rooms are, as some previous reviewers have said, a little dated. However, housekeeping is on the ball and the level of cleanliness is very high so no issue there. However, a huge issue with the bedroom was that the floor was sooooo creaky, there was hardly a space you could walk without creating a racket both for the people below and for each other during night time visits to the little girls' room!!!! Hotel desperately needs to address this issue - the odd floorboard is one thing, the whole room is quite another!.

We had a dinner inclusive deal. The menu had a reasonable choice for this package. However, the starter had to be sent back - staff very apologetic about this and starter replaced. Main course was very nice and we did not bother with dessert.

The other major let down for us was that the swimming pool was absolutely freezing - I was not brave enough to go in, although my very brave sister-in-law did - but she was a shade on the blue side when she came out!!!

Breakfast next morning was excellent. A very good choice, food constantly replenished, so did not lie under the lights for too long, good quality of fruits, cereals, yoghurts etc.

The staff and cleanliness of the hotel, the comfort of the beds would usually rate four stars from me, but this had to be reduced by the very noisy floor-boards, problem with the food needing to be sent back and unable to use the pool so sadly three stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay.

I was pleased to read that you were well received and found the staff friendly, meals were enjoyed and the rooms were comfortable. I am very grateful for the detail in your post and we will be working to improve on the matters you highlight, especially the pool temperature.

Lashkar Gah, Helmand, Afghanistan
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently stayed at the Livingston Mercury hotel, and to be honest, found it to be less than satisfactory. I personally would not class it as an hotel, more a motel. The location is central in the area, but surrounded by new build buildings, thus emphasizing the fact that the building is circa 1984. In all honesty, it is overly dated. The staff were pleasant and helpful on the desk. The room was dated, and small. It was well cleaned though. The views from the Window was of an enclosed courtyard, not a pleasant veiw.
The bar was a 24 hour affair, and there was room service if required. The bed was a small double, and not very comfy.
On now to breakfast, which in itself, dropped the ball. It ran from 0730, and we arrived down 10 minutes later and we're seated at a table. Under the table was an old menu. Tea was brought in a pot for two of us, and although a large pot, barely had enough tea for 2 cups each. The breakfast was a buffet affair, and was severely below par for the price asked. I've had better breakfasts at supermarket cafes. There was one toaster, and that was hit and miss. But the worse thing was the surly staff at breakfast. No sooner had I finished my meal, one of the staff appeared and whisked my plate away. Not a bad thing if on your own, but unacceptable when there are 2 people eating and that continued throughout the meal. All in all, a terrible meal.
So there you go, my veiw of a hotel which could do better. For the price, I expected better.

1 Thank Scott G
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and I am sorry that it was not as good as it could have been.

The hotel is not the most modern of buildings but usually stays are comfortable and enjoyable. I am very grateful for your comments on breakfast as we do appreciate how important this meal can be and your feedback allows us to address any shortcomings more quickly and improve our performance.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these Livingston hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I recently stayed in the Mercure Livingston (saturday) with my partner so we could attend a wedding near by. The hotel was a fantastic location for everything we needed close by to asda and the other shops. Easy to get to our venue.

I found the hotel to be very pleasant to stay in apart from the rooms were a bit dated and could do with being decorated. This being said they were clean and comfortable. When i checked in the receptionist were very friendly and happy to help service with a smile.

We unfortunaltey never got a chance to eat in your restraunt however we did have a drink at the bar and i would just like to say how pleasant and helpful Gary was. He was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area places to go/things to do and very friendly.

All in all a very good stay and i would stay again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest

I’m so please you enjoyed your stay with us and the location was convenient for the shops and the wedding venue.

Thank you too for your comments regarding the team. These are always appreciated and shared.

I hope we might welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards
Carnoustie, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I work for a large telecommunications company and a group of us have been staying at the Mercure Livingston and had a great experience. I'll break it down a wee bit....

Welcome:
Great welcome from Melissa 1 and 2, constant smiles and nothing is too much trouble. I forgot my toothbrush and the minute i said it they were out with a dental set. Every Morning and night you get a very friendly warm welcome and when returning for a second time they greeted me with "great to see you again" the two girls are a delight and make sure any problems are sorted straight away.

Rooms:
The bad points are the rooms are a throwback to the 80's and desperately need updated as most of the rooms radiators are in a state of rust. Bathroom is generous in size and comes with nice in room toiletries. No fridge or Safe either

Restaurant Service:
Food is a class act and rivals most top class restaurants. Freshly cooked and well thought out dishes and a range of daily specials keeps things changing all the time. Graeme who is in charge of the dining room is a credit to the mercure, he works very hard and is very polite. David the other person in charge is a waste of space, heard aloud slagging off tour guests to the hotel and genreally a very very rude person. 2 older people who were simply asking for help and where to sit were barked at by him in an aggressive and condescending tone which was disgusting, its ashame as he does it most nights and makes a complete pratt of those working along side him who really as customer centric.

Maintaince:
When there is a problem they usually send Natasha who is a superstar, she can fix anything - including the heating which I had been trying to work out for days Hotel is always immacualte and constantly being cleaned and not had a single problem with cleanliness.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay and don't mind a bit of a dated room - stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It is always great to receive positive feedback and likewise to know where we can improve.

I really appreciate your comments regarding the team and we’ll be working to ensure this is a consistent experience as although we understand that the hotel is not the most modern of buildings we endeavor to provide comfort and service throughout a stay.

I do hope we might hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Hamilton
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Got a brilliant deal through Groupon for a 2night break. Checked in around 5pm, Melissa at reception was extremely helpful, I asked if there were any special deals if eating in the hotel, for an upfront fee of £15 we got to choose from the a la carte menu up to the value of £22 + a bottle of wine per couple! This was all thanks to Melissa who went out of her way to ensure we got the best value for our money. The hotel was very comfortable and our room was clean,well furnished and spacious.

The breakfast each morning was delicious with a wide range of dishes available including some made to order. The staff in the bar and the dining room were very attentive and efficient.

The hotel is very close to McArthur Glen shopping outlet and also has excellent links to the city of Edinburgh. Great value and I will be on the lookout for another deal.

Room Tip: If staying you have to ask about dining deals as my brother-in-law checked in before we did and knew...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I was pleased to see you enjoyed the hotels location. Although not in Edinburgh the capital is within easy reach and Livingston is great for shopping too.

The comments regarding your meals and the team are very much appreciated. Our advance booking packages include fabulous discounts and some carry additional offers once you arrive.

I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Princes Street and Gardens
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Travelodge Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!