“Great Food and Excellent Service !”

Oscars Bar and Grill
Ranked #9 of 100 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Visited here on Sunday after being recommended by friends, I had the Sunday Roast and can only say for value at just 9 quid for 3 courses there is nowhere better in the area. My partner ordered the chicken milanese from the a la carte menu and the sauce was to die for.
The only thing that marred the experience was the noise from a family sitting just below us with out of control screaming kids, and complaining about everything from the speed of service to the food. The manager who dealt with them did so admirably, patience of a saint, I would have thrown them out.
Overall though a great visit to an immaculately presented restaurant. Keep up the good work.

1  Thank Scott H

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Visited on Sunday the 15th with some members of my family, 5 adults 1 toddler, we had booked a table so were seated quickly unfortunately I was greeted by the remains of the previous patrons dinner all under the table not just a few crumbs but I was able to tell you what they had. We had our drink order taken quickly so while waiting for them we took the time to take in the decor which is fine but upon looking more closely you could see the level of cleanliness was way below par, we were seated next to the bannister of small flight of stairs and the dust and grime buildup between the spindles was vile as was along ledges skirting boards, basically I don't think it had seen a deep clean for weeks/months. There were at least 5 members of staff on shift there were less tables so wasn't busy but still took nearly 15 minutes to get our order taken which I found highly amusing as where we were seated we were in the eyeline of the staff, I lost count of the times we were looked at then ignored, so order taken and starters arrived which were all nice I did request an extra butter portion which I waited 7 minutes for but only got after I asked again, plates were cleared and our mains arrived well where do I start, the 3 chicken dishes were all good but my sons burger had seen better days, I had a 3 course roast dinner menu the beef was fine as was the small amount of mash potato and veg but hidden away under the yorkie pud was 3 dice sized bits of roast potatoes which were bordering on black in colour and could have broke windows, I would have preferred for them not to have put them on my plate and offered me an alternative clearly just by looking at them you would know they were indelible and found it insulting that I was meant to eat that, the gravy was the juice from the roast slopping about the plate it hadn't been thickened in any way, oh I was offered some more mash but I declined this ever so generous offer from who I assume would be the manager on shift. My 1 yr old grandson had cheese pasta...what can I say but totally tasteless no flavour whatsoever when I asked the " manger " if she tasted the food I was told " I've had my dinner " we'll the chefs need to be tasting their wares just because its for kids doesn't mean it shouldn't taste good, so dinner plates cleared and we wanted desserts as I was having a set menu I could choose dessert of the day or cheesecake, upon ordering I was told neither were available and I could order anything else of the menu so ordered apple pie along with couple of other desserts, the desserts were fine and requested the bill....imagine my delight to find they had charged me for my apple pie mmmm I think not, but the biggest issue was the fact that I spent over 2 hours in there and was never offered another drink, now any " manager" worth their salt knows this is where your profit is and that all staff should be trained to push drink sales I know as it was brainwashed into me when I spent 12 years as a waitress a supervisor and an assistant manager of a pub/restaurant, my boss would have had my guts for garters if I had only offered a table 1 round of drinks, this place could do with someone who knows what their doing going in and getting it back to how it used to be, I'd start with a new cleaner and work my way up.

3  Thank eclaire786
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I went along for dinner on a Sunday with the family to celebrate his birthday. Unfortunately the service was very slow to the point that we were on the verge of leaving after the starters. When we first got there we ordered a round of drinks which we had to chase up a couple of times, in fact, one latecomer in our party ordered their drink and was served before we had been. We ordered for the favourites menu which is very good value and everyone enjoyed the starters, however, the main courses took so long that on the 3rd time of enquiring, my husband did state that we were leaving if the food didn't arrive in the next 5 minutes, which it did. Everyone enjoyed the main course but all 3 portions of the chicken special was cold in the middle. Saying all of that, the service although slow was very polite and friendly and the offer to remove the service charge and the cost of 1 meal was made when we asked for the bill which was appreciated. Would I go back? Possibly.

OscarsLivingston, Manager at Oscars Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

We value all feedback whether good or bad and appreciate our valued customers taking the time to review Oscars Bar and Grill. The Sunday you visited had been especially busy, and we must apologise for the issues you had. This was not a true reflection of our high standard of service, which we realised, and waived our service charge at the time. Regarding the issues with your main courses, your party were asked during the meal if everything was OK, and everyone had said it was fine. If we had known about the problems with your meals, we would have rectified this straight away for you, but as we werent informed until the bill was being paid, there was nothing we could do, As a gesture of goodwill we took a full meal off the bill for you, which I'm glad you appreciated. We admit that although we try, we don't get it right 100% of the time, and we hope that you give us the chance to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Oscars

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant and tried out the favourites menu. The food is quite good and plentiful. We had 3 courses each and a couple of drinks, bringing the bill to £32. We certainly enjoyed a good value meal. There was a couple of small issues which isn't worth a mention. Not at theses kind of prices. We will probably go back.

We are happy you enjoyed your visit to Oscars, and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Went during the day and had the lunch menu. Usually with cheap meal deals you wouldn't expect much, but this was decent. Good choice, quality and portions. Service was great and prompt. Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We pride ourselves on our freshly cooked food and value for money. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. See you soon!